Vancouver HOHO — does anyone know if there is a stop where we can buy some groceries

KBD1516

It's rather impractical - the HOHOs only loop in one direction, so even if a store was convenient you would have to schlep your groceries all the way around the ~2 hour loop with you without access to a fridge unless it just so happens your hotel is close by another stop that's in the right direction of travel. Let us know where you're staying and we'll let you know if that's the case

Fortunately there are plenty of grocery stores around in downtown, so depending where your accommodation is there's also a good chance of simply being able to walk to one. Google Maps is your friend - all the local and international chains are listed. Look for Safeway, Urban Fare, IGA, Choices, and Nesters for 'regular' western supermarkets; T&T and H-Mart are large Asian stores (that also carry a decent range of western options); and there's even a downtown Costco if you're members (while the typically-huge packs of most things might not be ideal for a short stay, Costco is by far the best value cheese-buying option in the city thanks to Canada in general and BC specifically having outrageously high dairy pricing compared to the US).

Thanks I hadn't thought carrying stuff around so long. One of our problems is that we have an airbb in a residential area . There is a save on listed about 1/2 mile away. We can walk that but I am thinking we won't have that much time. I will ask our host for options as well to be able to have breakfast foods. I was just thinking that we would be out and about our second day. We come in the evening of day 1, plan to be tourists on day 2, and our cruise leaves day 3. My DH is diabetic and I am trying to figure out some meals. I think we will end up trying to carry some on the plane - just have to have lightweight options and no fresh stuff. The hoho was just a wild idea. Thanks for your information

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are some grocery delivery services - but frankly they are more expensive than just taking a cab to the Save On! I've tried several using various introductory discount offers and have ALWAYS found that the quality of anything fresh is poor compared to what I'd pick myself in store, and that expiry dates are never as long as a careful shopper wants (with only a couple of days to feed yourselves, this wouldn't be an issue for you of course). Plus, while in theory they save time, unless your host is going to commit to being there to accept a delivery on your behalf, or to confirm there's a safe spot to have groceries left without them disappearing you may end up not getting the delivery made (and again, there's the whole 'perishable goods sitting somewhere getting warm' issue...)

As a diabetic myself I can understand the difficulty of traveling and eating healthy. Personally I'd just hit up the market the first evening after checking into your accommodation. You'll want a walk to loosen up after sitting on a plane, a half mile stroll around your temporary neighbourhood gives you the chance to check for other handy things like restos & bars you might like the look of, pharmacies, liquor stores etc. that might be useful, and than take a cab back with your groceries. A half-mile ride will only cost you about $6.

We don't even get to the Vancouver airport until after 8 pm. So walking isn't an option but I just realized that we could get the cab to stop at the saveon on the way to our accommodation. We will be tired (long flight from Florida). but that would work and would ońly take a few minutes to pick up bacon and eggs for a couple of days.

I would very much like to thank you for engaging in this discussion with me because it helps me a lot and actually brought me to an idea that might work ... depending on how late the grocery store is open.

We don't even get to the Vancouver airport until after 8 pm. So walking isn't an option but I just realized that we could get the cab to stop at the saveon on the way to our accommodation. We will be tired (long flight from Florida). but that would work and would ońly take a few minutes to pick up bacon and eggs for a couple of days.

I would very much like to thank you for engaging in this discussion with me because it helps me a lot and actually brought me to an idea that might work ... depending on how late the grocery store is open.

You might run into issues with the store - Save Ons are not 24/7 operations. If the flight is on timne, immigration is quick, you might make it - but IIRC depending on which store they might close as early as 9pm.

Bear in mind that you will still be on Florida time for a while - so you'll likely wake up EARLY. You should have plenty of time to go go shopping in the morning, whip up some bacon & eggs (try some Peameal bacon on a roll if a couple of carb units is appropriate), and still make it to the first HOHO of the day as Vancouverites are incredibly lazy when it comes to opening anything touristy.

Or, if you want to treat yourselves to a truly awesome brekky before your day of touring, there is one superb option in Chinatown that opens at 7am - ample time to stuff yourselves and be ready for the first HOHO passing by. Klaus' Kaffee Haus does fantastic Austrian food and coffee (split the Piggilicious unless you are both BIG eaters) - anywhere better doesn't open until 9am, we are just not a 'breakfast city'. I've been keeping quiet about it since it opened to ensure it didn't become so popular that I couldn't get a table, but I'm now satisified that my fellow Vancouverites remain sufficiently lazy people it should remain easy to get seated. The ones who aren't lazy are up mountains doing yoga at that time of day, and probably wouldn't want a huge plate full of delicious pig parts;-)

The store near us lists hours until 11 pm so that should be ok. You are right about Fla time. I am sure we will be up early!! This restaurant sounds awesome. I hope we get there.

I would just cab it to the grocers and then cab back with the groceries. Hope the OP is aware of restrictions on what can be taken on the cruise ship. Most times I just get water and eat at restaurants.

Please don't pack a Kinder Surprise on the cruise. It's $2500.

Yes I am aware about cruise ship restrictions. Been on 50 or so. I really just want some breakfast food for our 3 days in Vancouver. I will leave anything else with our host or simply toss it. My hubby will be up early early and will need food! I probably will take some water and Diet Coke on board. Thanks for your concern though. I really appreciate the input I have gotten here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums