Disembarking

We have now been notified of our flights for the first leg of the world cruise in January.

Our initial flight from Tahiti is at 23.00.

I presume we will have to disembark sometime fairly early in the morning, and wondered what happens then.

Are we transported to the airport to have a 9-10 hour wait, or do we get taken somewhere that we can leave our luggage securely and go out and about, or do Regent give you the opportunity to book on a tour if any are offered that day.

Happy to book our own tour if need be.

We were given a day room at the hotel that Regent used for our pre-cruise night. It was very nice. We enjoyed the pool' date=' showered and were ready for the long flight.[/quote']

May I ask what city you were in when Regent provided a day room? This is not typical but does occur in certain parts of the world.

Believe Katie/Witt's end reply is spot on. Recommend you have your TA ensure you get a day room once u disembark.

Don't know if it is different with us being in the UK, but I asked my TA what happens and she didn't know, so rang Regent who were, in her words, very vague and replied that we would be informed during the cruise of the arrangements.

So hence the question on here to see what had happened to other cruisers in the same situation.

But it seems from the couple of replies that there are differing scenarios.

But thank you for your replies.

Thank you for the response. We also were given a dayroom in Tahiti. In Rio passengers were given a place to put their luggage and to sit down and relax - no other facilities. Many passengers arranged their own tours for the day.

I don't think that there is a stock answer to this question. When we fly home from Hong Kong next month, our flight is 12:30 a.m. No arrangements have been communicated about options for passengers that could wait up to 15 hours for their flights but there will likely be excursions offered during the day. In our case, since we arrive in HK 2:00 p.m. the day before disembarkation, we are leaving the ship at 9:00 p.m. and will go to the airport. In our opinion, it is better to miss a few hours on the ship than wait 15 hours for a flight. We have done this before when we overnight in a port and it work well. Unfortunately, this is not always an option.

Thank you for the response. We also were given a dayroom in Tahiti. In Rio passengers were given a place to put their luggage and to sit down and relax - no other facilities. Many passengers arranged their own tours for the day.

In late 2012, on arrival in Rio after a cruise, Regent transferred us to a beach hotel for the day.

Shared day-rooms were made available to allow guests to shower/change/freshen-up before being transported to the airport for evening flights.

[PS: On all the occasions we have visited Rio, the last time being December 2015 following a Regent cruise from Cape Town to Rio and then on up the Amazon, we have thoroughly enjoyed this vibrant city and all the sights & experiences it has to offer tourists]

I agree that Regent's arrangements in different ports when waiting for late flights can be varied. Probably the worst is in their home port of Miami where the only option offered is luggage storage, in the back of a truck, plus the local HO-HO bus ..................... not exactly 5 star but at least it is something I suppose.

You certainly would probably want a day room in Papeete, and hopefully Regent will arrange it. I believe people have trouble finding these on their own, but the usual suspects are: the IC, Le Meridien, the Pearl, the Manava, or a bunch of lower-priced budget options.

Alternatively, you could arrange a tour for the day, lots of advice on Tripadvisor or here on the CC South Pacific board. They could either keep your luggage during the tour, or alternatively you could drop it off at the airport, where they have luggage storage. Or rent a car from the airport if you're adventurous, and drive counter-clockwise down to the more remote parts of the island.

In Tahiti, we rented a car from Avis, which is in walking distance of the port, did our own driving tour around the island, had a nice dinner, then dropped off the car at the airport. The business class lounge is not much to speak of there, and the air conditioning was pretty non existent, so you don’t want to spend too long there. Plus I don’t think you can check in for a flight earlier than 3 hours before there.