Timing of Ports of Call?

Eartha Kitten

I am sure there is an answer that will be logical to veteran cruisers, but right now I don't see the logic in the length of time we will spend at different ports of call in our upcoming Baltic cruise (first cruise ever). Why, for example are we spending over 10 hours at a port like Klaipeda, which doesn't have all that much to see that I can tell? But a location rich with history and sites like Riga, we only have maybe 4- 4 and 1/2 hours. What determines the length of the stay exactly? I am basing the length of stay assuming that we will eat up between 30-60 minutes disembarking and that we have to be back to the ship two hours before departure. Even so, I don't understand what determines the comings and goings. Any light you can shed will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've never seen the O ships take 60 minutes to disembark and passengers have to be back on board 30 minutes before sail away. (crew is 1 hr)

Paul MCO is correct about reasons for schedule; tides are a major factor in some ports...unbelievably so. Nothing like sitting in Horizons and gazing upon.....mud!

know that disembarking will take longer in St. Petersburg but great to hear it's much swifter elsewhere.

If you are doing your own thing and the ship is docked, you are off in 2 minutes after the ship is cleared. ;0

I am sure there is an answer that will be logical to veteran cruisers, but right now I don't see the logic in the length of time we will spend at different ports of call in our upcoming Baltic cruise (first cruise ever). Why, for example are we spending over 10 hours at a port like Klaipeda, which doesn't have all that much to see that I can tell? But a location rich with history and sites like Riga, we only have maybe 4- 4 and 1/2 hours. What determines the length of the stay exactly? I am basing the length of stay assuming that we will eat up between 30-60 minutes disembarking and that we have to be back to the ship two hours before departure. Even so, I don't understand what determines the comings and goings. Any light you can shed will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Note that it is a very short walk (ten minutes?) from the ship to the central tourist area of Riga, so you really have a lot more time than you currently believe. Gdańsk was the one Baltic cruise port where it was a long way from the port to the central tourist area. We took a shuttle bus supplied by Oceania, then a walk to a commuter train, which we took to the historic area.

O establishes many shuttles in ports or the port authorities have one. If you are ready to go as soon as the ship is cleared in port, you can immediately leave.

Check Currents, a port guide, which will be placed at the foot of your bed each night BEFORE the next day's port call.

Currents will tell you when the ship is to dock, where the shuttle can be acquired, where it will take youn and when the last shuttle leaves town. It will also give you a phone # for emergencies as well as a weather report.

If it is a tender port you and YOUR ENTIRE PARTY will go to the ship's Lounge and ask for an "independent" ticket. Ask for the # of tickets for each person in your group then wait until your color is called and take off for the tender.

If you can get to the lounge early, you will often take the first tender into port.

The port call at Klaipeda is the source of continuing frustration. On our cruise it was an excess of Klaipeda and a too-short call at Gdansk.

If you go to the Baltic and Northern Europe port of call board, you'll encounter cruisers who managed to make lemonade out of lemons. Specifically, there is a nice beach/dune area called the Curonian Spit National Park that is impressive enough to qualify as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Some 25 K distant from the town is a place called Palanga, a beach resort town, with an Amber Museum and a Botanical Park.

I've even read about cruisers who have enjoyed the food in a restaurant in Klaipeda. My husband and I are adventuresome eaters, but we wrote off Klaipeda. This was the result of sharing a table one night with a first-generation American with family from Lituania. He spent the meal describing the food his mother, aunts, and grandmother cooked; his wife spent the meal pantomiming stomach distress and making pained faces each time he mentioned a new dish. This appeared to be a well-honed comedy routine. Everyone at our table was laughing hysterically, but the end result was our unwillingness to give the food a try.

The answer to your specific question is that Klaipeda appears to be a refueling stop and the lengthg of the port call has more to do with where the ship was the day before and where the ship has to be the next day. Klaipeda appears to be a cheap port for the ship to dock to hit their day before/day after requirements.