A Cautionary tale

JudiK

Are you talking about medical costs on the ship?

Ivi

No....here in California Ship board I suspect would be higher. the reality is medical care in not cheap...

What I will say is that the facilities are as good or better than many US hospitals all nurses are ALS and doctors pretty sharp

This is all very good info. Thank you all.

While cruising in Polynesia some years ago, a few female passengers decided to get tattoos in the Marquesas before the end of the cruise

I wonder what those little souvenirs cost them when they returned home.

That has to be the answer! I had a bunch of itchy bumps up and down my arm. I admit to not using repellent because I never get bitten Of course in malaria areas I always use precautions but again I never get bitten

Yep, I think nonos were the nasties causing your problem. They are voracious and to think you can't even see them....!!!

Nonos=No-See-ems! Wear repellent while in FP!

Hope all is well with you now.

This is all very good info. Thank you all.

While cruising in Polynesia some years ago, a few female passengers decided to get tattoos in the Marquesas before the end of the cruise

I wonder what those little souvenirs cost them when they returned home.

Possible it cost them their life over the next years... getting a tattoo in the tropics has shown to be a good way of contracting Hepatitis C, a friend on mine just died from that... Getting a tattoo in the tropics. is about as wise as running through a mine field, or sleeping on rail road tracks.

That has to be the answer! I had a bunch of itchy bumps up and down my arm. I admit to not using repellent because I never get bitten Of course in malaria areas I always use precautions but again I never get bitten

Also consider a marine critter "Nemocyst", a micro version of jellyfish. They swim in clusters and it is easy to swim into one in tropical you can not see them. However you cans feel them. Experienced this in Fiji.. From some 40 years as a diver and snorkeler in every pacific location from Bali to Kaliua Kona I wear a 1/8", 3mm shorty wet suit. booties and gloves... solves a lot of problems before they become problems

I guess it might,...... its just that in 50 years neither I have , or my family has, never experienced any..world wide..

Same with us in 58 years.

Never a question about paying 100% for emergency care on a cruise ship or outside of a Kaiser area which is so important when you reach Medicare age and travel outside the USA.

Possible it cost them their life over the next years... getting a tattoo in the tropics has shown to be a good way of contracting Hepatitis C, a friend on mine just died from that... Getting a tattoo in the tropics. is about as wise as running through a mine field, or sleeping on rail road tracks.

Anthony Bourdain did a "No Reservations" episode several years ago where he traveled to the Marquesas and got a tattoo in a remote village from a village member. It all came off as so much normal macho and any danger was unfortunately not stressed. Wonder how many people saw that and found the idea cool?

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. Finally got a check for a whole $68! Unfortunately I now have to resubmit my claim to my prescription drug plan. I don’t think I’ll see much from them since the price of the drugs was so inflated . Only then ,after I’ve explored my options with secondary insurance, can I submit the claim to my travel insurance carrier.

I’m healthy so never had to go through this. I always knew ,but hadn’t experienced directly, that insurance companies don’t want to pay out . I would have been better off not having secondary insurance. Next time I will try to book a plan that doesn’t require that

Dan;

I used to wear the shorty. Now, it’s a full body skin with booties. I prefer the lighter weight skin, in the tropics, to their heavier suits.

As far as the no see ums, we learned in Little Cayman to carry the various repellents while snorkeling and not to leave the water until you reapply. They would devour you just walking in the sand while trying to get back to your towel and gear. Snorkeling and diving from a boat is always far superior than from the beach! One has more time and ability to prepare for the people eaters!

Edited by pinotlover

I was on two broad specttum antibiotics - both generic. Their cost was the bulk of my charge for the visit- over $300 for the two of them and $575 total A follow up visit to get dressing supplies and check on a rash was $123. I was concerned I had a drug rash but it was just multiple insect bites.! Funny, don’t remember being bit at all. The steroid cream was $25!!! Another thing to add to my first aid kit!

However my personal insurance will cover 85% after my yearly deductible is met and I will then submit the rest to my travel insurance company

I’ve been back to work and lectured by one of the ICU docs I work with ☹️ She said I could have had a particularly nasty infection caused by a vibreo species of bacteria that live in coral . I almost texted a doc friend of mine for advice, should have. He probably would have told me what kind of antibiotic the ships doc should order !

Live and learn

We arrange with both our own physicians and also the associated Travel Clinic to take along an assortment of "extra meds", especially antibiotics. The "selection" depends upon the destinations, and, obviously, our own medical situations (some problems are more likely to become serious than others, etc.).

For some of them, we have an agreement with the relevant physician that "we won't take it without checking with you first to make sure it's likely to be a good match for the problem" - especially with the various antibiotics.

(Thank goodness for email for this particular situation! Also an occasional good old iPhone photo...)

We have so many regular meds that we either *do* use/need, or *might*, that adding a few more "just in case"... doesn't make our little private pharmacy that much "bigger". It already all takes up too much space in carry-on bags, but better safe than sorry!

GC