Best place to eat crab or salmon

Mallefiscent

I'll throw out Vancouver again - it's all the same range of species from the same ocean, so you may as well eat it at discounted Canadian rates with a wider range of resto choices to ensure there's a menu that everyone is good with... but there's so much salmon throughout the region you shouldn't have any problem finding places that will cook it decently (i.e. not overcook it - if it arrives with more than a whisper of white foam on top send it back).

More important is which kind of salmon IMO - they all taste a bit different and I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't have a firm favourite among the five species. Personally I'm all about the Sockeye (aka Red or rarely Kokanee), but many folks prefer King (Chinook) and a few Silver (Coho) - nobody seems to like Pink or Chum best but they're still perfectly decent fish, and in a dish involving a strong-flavoured marinade or glaze that would mask the subtler taste of the flesh work just as well as more expensive kinds. Unless you're here really early or really late in cruise season, there's a good chance you can sample at least 3 types fresh.

This Alaskan gal is a sockeye fan too -- but I don't care at all for kings unless they are heavily smoked in the Athabaskan manner.

I am late to this thread, but in Ketchikan we have had some great seafood at Annabelles, including a humongous bucket of dungeness crab last summer. In Skagway we have always enjoyed lunches at the Skagway Brewing Company; love their sesame salmon salad but they also have both great halibut and salmon sandwiches. The food at the ISP complex has consistently been good. And in Seward we enjoy both Chinooks and Rays Waterfront; both are heavily into seafood offerings but have beef and chicken on the menus too.

I'll throw out Vancouver again - it's all the same range of species from the same ocean, so you may as well eat it at discounted Canadian rates with a wider range of resto choices to ensure there's a menu that everyone is good with... but there's so much salmon throughout the region you shouldn't have any problem finding places that will cook it decently (i.e. not overcook it - if it arrives with more than a whisper of white foam on top send it back).

More important is which kind of salmon IMO - they all taste a bit different and I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't have a firm favourite among the five species. Personally I'm all about the Sockeye (aka Red or rarely Kokanee), but many folks prefer King (Chinook) and a few Silver (Coho) - nobody seems to like Pink or Chum best but they're still perfectly decent fish, and in a dish involving a strong-flavoured marinade or glaze that would mask the subtler taste of the flesh work just as well as more expensive kinds. Unless you're here really early or really late in cruise season, there's a good chance you can sample at least 3 types fresh.

Well, they've never mentioned a favorite, but that could be because they know I don't eat it. I will have to ask them.

My boys love seafood. I am sure they would love to enjoy crab and salmon while we are in Alaska. I don't like it, and my daughter is allergic to salmon. If there is a restaurant with some nice beef options, that would be great. If not, I am open to splitting up so everyone can eat what they want. So, what would be your first choice for eating crab and/or salmon or even some other type of seafood that a seafood lover would enjoy?

Tracys crab shack in Juneau is a must! Salmon pretty much anywhere is amazing as i recall.

• 2 weeks later...
If these crabs are alive, do we see them get cooked? I don't really want to see something die. :loudcry:Maybe this should be my night to babysit the granddaughter.

No. They take it in the back and MURDER it so you can the feast on the flesh of its body afterwards.

Butter is a must-have.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tracys crab shack in Juneau is a must!.

If you are sailing on Princess, one port day, either Juneau or Ketchikan, will have Tracy's crab cakes up at the Grill on the pool deck during the day. They are small but tasty and of course you can have as many orders as you like.