Getting older

JohnM65

Well, fellow travelers age has attacked me. It seems that my COPD has gotten a little worse but no effect on our trip next week or future trips. It will, however, hamper a few tours but alas we will need to refine our tour selection. I will be OK walking on the ship, but any distance may be problematic. I have been relegated to a walker if I want to walk any distance, I can do 1.3 miles on a treadmill but that is holding on. Fortunately, my walker will fit in a suitcase:), so we will not worry about it while traveling. The next thing is I use a little oxygen (small tank) and I am curious about 2 things: (I am researching this on my own) do the airlines have an issue with oxygen carry on; and if needed, do any of you have experience with getting a refill at some ports? Like I said I am researching this but, I am wondering about other traveler’s experiences.

An old friend quoted “if I’d known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself”.

An old friend quoted “if I’d known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself”.

My mom tells me that “gettin’ old ain’t for sissies.” But of course, it beats the alternative!

Glad you’re still able to cruise - I’d rather take some easier excursions than not cruise at all. :D

I’m not sure about O2 on a plane - I think my wife flew with an O2 concentrator once, not a tank, so I can’t help you there. I know there are services that will have a tank or concentrator delivered to the ship - we used them once and it was easy to set up. I think it might have been specialneedsatsea.com, but there are a bunch of companies that can help.

You cannot bring an oxygen tank onboard a plane, nor do they rent O2 anymore. All that is now allowed is a portable oxygen concentrator. Specialneedsatsea.com rents them along with others (or if you do a lot of traveling, purchase one). Pls contact the special needs dept of the airline you are traveling with, they will ask you to have your Pulmonologist or DR to fill a form out in order to fly, and they will also give you the names of the POC (portable oxygen concentrators) that they allow. Also either you or your TA needs call the Regent special needs department to advise them that you are utilizing oxygen onboard (either full-size unit delivered to ship or Portable Concentrator (Inogen, etc). They need to know you will be using oxygen. They are quite pleasant, and just want to make sure they know your suite number (we were on Mariner last fall and my DH carried on our Inogen G3 unit). Also pls join us on the disabled forum here on CC, we have a wealth of knowledge concerning traveling with a POC. Traveling with oxygen is a wonderful way of still being independent! Enjoy your cruise.

My mom tells me that “gettin’ old ain’t for sissies.” But of course, it beats the alternative!

Glad you’re still able to cruise - I’d rather take some easier excursions than not cruise at all. :D

I’m not sure about O2 on a plane - I think my wife flew with an O2 concentrator once, not a tank, so I can’t help you there.

You cannot bring an oxygen tank onboard a plane, nor do they rent O2 anymore.

First, let me thank all who responded. Travelcat I remembered reading that post before... just old and forgetful.

I had a prescription for OX I check Delta and Lufthansa and they e-mailed me the information to submit. I decided to check with our medical supply store. The technician showed me a compact a POC, it is an over shoulder unit. Then she mentioned 2 others an I said do they have wheels, she replied yes and I said no. She tested me on the POC and all worked well. Oxygen does make things easier.:D So now I have a POC the paperwork will be submitted Monday and we will be on our way Friday. Also, I don't need to wear the POC all the time, Just above 7k feet and walking a lot.

Again many thanks for your help... to say the least, I was in panicville! :loudcry: but all is well. (y):ship::cocktail:

First, let me thank all who responded. Travelcat I remembered reading that post before... just old and forgetful.

I had a prescription for OX I check Delta and Lufthansa and they e-mailed me the information to submit. I decided to check with our medical supply store. The technician showed me a compact a POC, it is an over shoulder unit. Then she mentioned 2 others an I said do they have wheels, she replied yes and I said no. She tested me on the POC and all worked well. Oxygen does make things easier.:D So now I have a POC the paperwork will be submitted Monday and we will be on our way Friday. Also, I don't need to wear the POC all the time, Just above 7k feet and walking a lot.

Again many thanks for your help... to say the least, I was in panicville! :loudcry: but all is well. (y):ship::cocktail:

Glad that you are feeling ore comfortable. Enjoy your cruise.:D

The disabled travel board under special interest cruising board is a wealth of information for anyone needing to know the ins and outs of cruising or flying with medical issues big or small

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

I use a POC 24/7 now. We travel all over the world with it.

1- you must have enough batteries (1 1/2 times the hours flying) you cannot use the outlets on the aircraft for the POC. Your doctor must complete the medical forms and, depending on the airline, they must be submitted within a certain time.

I don't know which airline you are using. All carriers that depart or land in the US must allow a POC because of FAA regulations regarding disability act. Foreign carrriers outside US may not allow its use. I have a million stories in Asia over the years.

2- I just notify Regent that I will be bringing it aboard. No problems there.

3- I also use an portable electric scooter for mobility. It is mine and I travel with it everywhere. I do walk but use it for touring. Just put my POC in front of me and off I go. You can rent one just for the ship.

If you need anymore information, contact me at bubbema at aol dot com.

Hope you have a great trip!

Sheila

• 4 weeks later...

First, thanks to Cruiseforme and Bellaggio Cruisers (Sheila) for all the information. Here is the story. I contacted Delta, downloaded the form filled it out, sent it back and 2 hours later I received a positive response (Kool). Then I contacted Lufthansa. Not only did I need to provide the information I had to have my doctor fill out the prescription information and sign the document. I put my cell number on the form and when Lufthansa called I did not have it with me. After a day I called, and Lufthansa called back. It was then I learned that I had to have 150% backup. The doctor had set the 2 to 3 liters. Well at that rate the batteries would last about 2.5 to 3.5 hours and I would need 4.5 to 5 batteries and at $300.00 each that was not going to happen.:evilsmile: I have 2, fortunately, the medical supply loaned me a battery. I tried to explain. That I did not use the POC all the time and when I did use it was set to 1. She also said that I could not use the 110ac on the plane because it could blow out the fuses and cause issues with the plane! (BS). I cannot fathom a reason why they are concerned about POC, etc, after all, they don't seem concerned about laptops and other electronic devices. I am only plugging a low voltage charger. She finally relented with a stern warning about not being allowed to fly!

First note on my flight from Sioux Falls, SD to Rio I did not need the POC. On our return flight from Barcelona to Sioux Falls, I did not require the POC???? Go figure! I have my annual visit with my pulmonary doctor on Monday and try to make sense out of this. In a few weeks, my regular doctor will see me and will figure out how to change.

Second note, while on the ship I met a couple (husband and wife (captains)) who recently retired from British Airways. They flew 767, 777, 747 plus other equipment. I asked the question about the 110ac in first/business blowing fuses and what effect it would have on the performance of the aircraft. I did receive a ‘what looks’ from and after explaining what I was told by Lufthansa and assuring them that I only had one margarita, they stopped laughing.:rolleyes: Neither of them could remember that happening. If it did, they would reset the circuit breaker and if it happened again they would check the seats covered by the breaker and try to determine the cause or just leave the breaker in the off position.

Last I have friends/engineers who are very familiar with lithium batteries and I will see what they can configure.

Again thanks all.

I have never been able to plug in my POC into airplane sockets. Never allowed. Travel in either business or first always. Always bring enough batteries, as per airline requirements.

I also use a lithium battery for my electric portable mobility device (scooter). I must bring it onboard aircraft with me.

Every airline has its own rules. It has gotten much easier over the years. A million tales that almost ruined some of my trips. We laugh about them now.

But, like the energizer, we still keep ticking ( traveling)!

Enjoy!

Sheila

I have never been able to plug in my POC into airplane sockets. Never allowed. Travel in either business or first always. Always bring enough batteries, as per airline requirements.

I also use a lithium battery for my electric portable mobility device (scooter). I must bring it onboard aircraft with me.

Every airline has its own rules. It has gotten much easier over the years. A million tales that almost ruined some of my trips. We laugh about them now.

But, like the energizer, we still keep ticking ( traveling)!

Enjoy!

Sheila

And you keep on going! Bless you and enjoy every bit of it.