Msc drone policy?

tjlj

I'm not sure i understand what your point is. Depending on Context "NO DRONE ZONE" can mean different things. It could and probably does mean, no flying of drones in the area which would be completely understandable. This wouldn't be in conflict with the information that i received directly from MSC.

I'm sure that's what that means. It's pretty common sense to not fly it that close.

I can't wait to take my Mavic Pro on my cruise next month.

• 6 months later...

I could bring my DJI Mavic pro drone without any problem onbard the MSC Magnifica back in April 2017. I could leave it in my cabin, as long as I did not use it around the ship! And that is logical. I do not want to use it where there are lots of people offcourse...

Oh snap!

Cuervosar overdosed on the caffeine this afternoon.

So drones, and the great privacy debate.

I'll preface this by saying I agree 100% with what most cruise lines seem to be doing re: drones. They don't want them flying all over the ships, so if you want to bring one along, check it with security, and you can take it off at the ports to do with what you will.

That policy is spot on. While I'd love to do a quick fly by of the ship in the middle of the ocean, I get it and I'll abide. (For what it's worth I also dress for formal night and would never wear shorts in the MDR. I'm a rules kinda bloke.)

Of course as soon as that argument is made, everybody on CC becomes an expert in international law vis a vis aerial drone photography in Costa Rica, Belize and all points beyond.

Reality check: I paid near a grand for this thing, I think I'll check the local rules, regulations, laws, and customs myself thank you very much.

Most likely the real issue, as it often is, is fear of the unknown.

For some reason the drones scare people. Too much Fox TV? I have no idea. And the complaints usually revolve around privacy, noise & danger. I'll deal with each.

Noise I get. Yep, my little drone has 4 props and they kick up a storm. Of course once it is about 100 feet away, virtually silent but yes it is noisy up close and yes it could be annoying. Probably one of the minor reasons the boat doesn't allow them to fly. So they're not on the boat, and your noise issue is moot.

Danger? Yep, if I happen to fly it into your head, you're going to get some lacerations. Again, liability is on me, and another reason I'm grounded on the boat. Interestingly the FAA in the US requires all drones of the type to be registered for some reason. Surveillance State much? This despite the fact that I can build a model rocket capable of flight to a mile high and a mile downrange or a 1/4 Scale Remote Control P51 Mustang without so much as a wink and a nod from the Federales.

Now, think about where the greater danger lies there... (And I could mount a small camera in either if I wanted.)

But again, banned on the ship so your argument is taken care of.

So, that leaves us with privacy. My favorite argument.

Are you somehow concerned that I'm going to fly this thing out your cabin window because this I how I get my kicks? Honestly, have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?

Supermodels travel on yachts, not MSC, Celebrity, Royal or Carnival. No real need for me to go peek a boo in your cabin mate.

And have you no idea of the power of a 300mm lens perched on the front of a Digital SLR?

If I were into counting your nose hairs from a range of 75 meters, this would be my tool of choice, not the noisy drone I'd have to fly to within a meter of your face to accomplish the task. And with the big lens on the SLR, you'd have no idea I was there, as opposed to 4 props and 4 electric motors alerting you of my presence with the drone.

So what exactly are your privacy concerns here? (Or dare I ask, what is going on in that cabin? Shades mate, pull the shades.) Short note on privacy; if you are out of doors you have none. Chester and his lens could be anywhere, ask a celebrity of your choice.

So please, privacy freaks, it's not the drones you need to worry about. We're interested in big picture panoramic type shots. You and the Mrs. are probably safe from us. If the question comes up re: drones on ships. Let us know it is going to be confiscated at boarding, we can check it out at port, and use at our own risk in foreign locales. We're big boys & girls, we'll figure it out.

And if you're wondering what shots were chasing, take a peek (!?) here...https://youtu.be/vlDzYIIOYmM

That is what I'm after.

BooYa!

(drops mic and moonwalks out of forum.)

I'll preface this by saying I honestly couldn't care less whether drones are allowed on board. That said, some of your logic is fallacious, and rather intellectually lazy.

Drones can be a danger, but it's ok because the "liability is on you"? I assume then you'll support my desire to bring fireworks and firearms on board. I know they're dangerous, but if something happens, the liability is on me. We good?

Only sensationally good looking people are deserving of privacy? Or rather, everyone deserves privacy, but fat people don't need to worry about it because no one would want to invade their privacy to get a sneak peak at that? Take a quick tour of some internet fetish sites. You might be surprised to know that many people enjoy looking at pictures of those other than the classically skinny. (And some even enjoy looking at pictures of those who are unaware that they are being filmed). Gasp!

Much of your argument involved the premise that ignorance was the great barrier to drone acceptance. I don't know whether that's the case, but if it is, a condescending treatise such as yours does not strike me as the best way to win over hearts and minds.

Like I said, I could care less whether you fly your drone or not. But if you hit someone with it, be prepared to get sued back into the stone age. As you said, the liability is on you.

I could bring my DJI Mavic pro drone without any problem onbard the MSC Magnifica back in April 2017. I could leave it in my cabin, as long as I did not use it around the ship! And that is logical. I do not want to use it where there are lots of people offcourse...

we had no problem taking Mavic on seaside... though it was too windy the days in port to fly... so it stayed in the bag... it so small folded they don't even question it... though i would never try to take a phantom series... but they sell them on board also on the seaside...

I took my Mavic Pro with me on the Divina last year with no issues. Only trouble I ran into was trying to fly it in Ochos Rios. I asked one of the customs officials if I would be allowed to fly it and they told me that I was not allowed. So I kept it inside my camera bag.

On my sailing aboard NCL and Carnival in February I brought my Mavic Air with me. I was able to bring it aboard and off the ships in port with no issues. I obtained official clearance from the Bahamian government prior to the cruises to fly the drone in the country and made sure to follow all local rules pertaining to drones.

My three drones are all registered with the FAA and have individual FAA license numbers labeled on the outside. I carry the FAA certificates of registration with me when I travel.