HMC feeding the fish

jenp123

Amyone else get annoyes by this practice? In the past few cruises, people have been bringing more food then normal to feed the fish. I understand they want to attract fish to look at but

1) is this not bad for the fish? I imagine their diet is not naturally cheerios and bread

And

2) there was so much bread being thrown into the water that the fish were not even eating it and I got to swim in water with wet and mushy bread floating around me. And It just kept floating down the shore and the people kept throwing it in. It is gross and rude to do this in my opinion

Bread is not good for fish nor fowl. and, yes, it causes problems with the water as well. And, the problems go beyond our experience in the water. It has a bad affect on the water environment.

I have seen people feeding the fish at HMC - mainly to draw them out I think. But, it doesn't appear the times we saw it that it was bread as there was no debris in the water.

There is real fish food that many establishments offer. I can't remember if HMC offered that or not, but hopefully they do to alleviate the issue.

I've seen it. Some guy thought was okay to stand in knee deep water around swimmers and throw pieces of bagel in. I think it's fine if someone is out deeper snorkelling and wants to attract fish away from the swimmers, but shallow is a bit much IMHO.

Nope it was not in a snorkeling area at the end of the beach. It was in between the rental Shack and the Lobster Shack and was about waist deep water. Environmental issues aside, if someone throws a few pieces out to attract fish that's one thing but if they are literally throwing out hunks of bread for 30 or 40 minutes straight it's gross and this is happened twice on two different cruises

Amyone else get annoyes by this practice? In the past few cruises, people have been bringing more food then normal to feed the fish. I understand they want to attract fish to look at but

1) is this not bad for the fish? I imagine their diet is not naturally cheerios and bread

And

2) there was so much bread being thrown into the water that the fish were not even eating it and I got to swim in water with wet and mushy bread floating around me. And It just kept floating down the shore and the people kept throwing it in. It is gross and rude to do this in my opinion

Did you say anything?

People feed ducks bread at pond and parks......that's not what they eat, although they will scarf it up. It's not good to feed wild animals....they can become dependent on "hand-outs"...not unlike people! Best to let them be and do what they do without influencing their behavior.