Can I Book a 11 AM Return Flight From Rome Italy After My Cruise?

mfan

We're traveling on a Celebrity cruise in July that will end in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy. The schedule says the ship will arrive at 5 AM. We're trying to book a return flight back to the US. However, we're finding that most flights are in the morning with only a few choices after 12 PM. For those who have taken cruises that ended in Rome, can we book a 11:30 AM flight out of the Rome Airport?

I know the Rome Airport is about an hour ride away from the cruise port, but not sure how long it'll take to get thru Customs and security. I think if we can get off the ship by 8 or 8:30, we should be ok, right? How early can we get off the ship?

Thanks for you help!

I don't see this info on the X website but another cruise line does state that for Civitaveccia 5 AM arrivals earliest recommended flight time is 11 AM.

But if you do book the 11:30 flight:

I think if we can get off the ship by 8 or 8:30, we should be ok, right?

No. Your plan should be to arrive at the airport by 8 or 8:30. If not arriving until 2 hours or less before your flight you will be up against the deadline to check baggage [verify the time with your airline] and eventually be through security and at the gate. You should be asking on the Celebrity board if past passengers disembarking in Rome have been off the ship, claimed their bags, and through whatever customs/immigration procedures are done (which could be minimal or none at all if your penultimate port call was another EU/Schengen nation) before 7:00, else you may want to settle for a later flight. Or spend a day in Rome and fly out as early as you want the next morning.

We're traveling on a Celebrity cruise in July that will end in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy. The schedule says the ship will arrive at 5 AM. We're trying to book a return flight back to the US. However, we're finding that most flights are in the morning with only a few choices after 12 PM. For those who have taken cruises that ended in Rome, can we book a 11:30 AM flight out of the Rome Airport?

I know the Rome Airport is about an hour ride away from the cruise port, but not sure how long it'll take to get thru Customs and security. I think if we can get off the ship by 8 or 8:30, we should be ok, right? How early can we get off the ship?

Thanks for you help!

How does one spend international airfare and not get the most out of it by extending a stay in Rome for 2-3 days after a cruise?

In any case, FCO is often a security boondoggle. As for 8:30 AM, forget the ship issue. That's the absolute latest you'd want to be standing at your airline's check-in counter at FCO for an 11:30 AM flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am traveling with Viking air, they booked me at 930 am leaving Rome.. I said the same thing, she said ship docks at 5 am, you will be off the ship first and at the airport with plenty of time. The key here is I must be up, fed and ready to go by no later than 6 am.

I am traveling with Viking air, they booked me at 930 am leaving Rome.. I said the same thing, she said ship docks at 5 am, you will be off the ship first and at the airport with plenty of time. The key here is I must be up, fed and ready to go by no later than 6 am.

I’m not trying to be a pessimist, but I will be really surprised if you make that flight! That’s about three hours earlier than I would be comfortable with.

This is discussed almost daily on the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Yes, you can make that flight. The cruise lines are aware of the standard flight schedule for US based pax, and have tried to make it doable. That is why so many cruise lines have very early arrivals in Civi.

Arrange your own transport for early...like 7am. Be off early. And hope the airline doesn't bump the flight back to 10 or 10:30.

Or do like we did. Book a private tour that picks you up at the ship, tours Rome all day, and drops you at the airport for an early flight the next day. Rome is worth it.

How does one spend international airfare and not get the most out of it by extending a stay in Rome for 2-3 days after a cruise?

In any case, FCO is often a security boondoggle. As for 8:30 AM, forget the ship issue. That's the absolute latest you'd want to be standing at your airline's check-in counter at FCO for an 11:30 AM flight.

An important consideration - why not take advantage of being so close to Rome?

But, to answer the specific question: of course you can "BOOK" an 11:00 AM flight. Making it is another question.

You will most likely make it, unless something unusual happens, but 8-8:30 is too late to get off. Plan on getting off as early as you can. We had a slightly later flight--12;30--and met our transportation about 7. We had plenty of time, even though the airport was crazy because several flights had been cancelled; luckily not ours.

But I do agree that if you have the time, spend a couple of days in Rome and then fly out without stress.

Big risk for an international flight. Airport in Rome is extremely busy and it can take a long time to check in and get through security. I would not book a flight with so little time after docking.

Thanks all for sharing your insights and experience! I did post the same question on the Celebrity board. I found that board after posting this here... ;-)

The general feedback from both boards is it's doable, but risky. Have to do self-disembark at 7 AM with a car waiting.at the Port. We're looking at other options, but this will be the fall back.

We're planning to fly out right away because we already have a pre-cruise vacation in Rome.

Thanks all for sharing your insights and experience! I did post the same question on the Celebrity board. I found that board after posting this here... ;-)

The general feedback from both boards is it's doable, but risky. Have to do self-disembark at 7 AM with a car waiting.at the Port. We're looking at other options, but this will be the fall back.

We're planning to fly out right away because we already have a pre-cruise vacation in Rome.

Another option is to fly a domestic RT to Catania and spend several days in Sicily, at least along the Eastern coast. You'll quickly come to understand why Sicily is so much more than Italian.

With all due respect they are nuts to do this.

Be sure to have their phone number with you if you miss the flight.

I am being very serious.

Keith

I can't stress enough that with increased security you need to give yourself more time.

Also consider what happens if the ship arrives late.

Also if it takes longer to get luggage off the ship which happened to us in 2014 but we had a lot of pad so no worries.

And also the unknown. What will security be like at the time of your flight.

FCO can be a very disorganized airport.

History means nothing.

In the end, do what you think works for you but I can tell you from experience that I have seen people miss flights because they didn't factor in things that could go wrong.

Keith

We used to catch a 10:50 flight out of FCO after our cruises and never had a problem. You would want to leave the port about 7 - 7:15am which will generally have you at FCO by around 8am....assuming you arrange for private transportation (we use Romecabs.com) Because of the early hour you would want to use Express Disembarkation where you must carry all of your own luggage off the ship. Arrange for a 7am pick-up at the port. In Civitavecchia there are no customs or immigration formalities. Once your ship is cleared by the authorities (this usually takes 20-30 min after the gangplank is in place) disembarkation can begin.

Of course things can certainly go wrong...such as a delayed docking or a problem with local authorities (we have never had a delay by the authorities despite being at this port numerous times). The drive to FCO is relatively simple in that once you get out of the Port area you will quickly be on the high speed Autostrade. But an unforeseen circumstance such as a major accident could create an issue......but life if full of risks.

Hank

Thanks for you help!

My only question is - do you have a viable and economical plan B just in case you do not make it.

DON

So there you have it.

Some say you will make it.

Some say you might not.

Now you will decide.

I am one of those who don't like stress and during a career of business travel saw too many things go wrong.

I also think that FCO is one of the more disorganized airports.

So in the end you will need to make the choice that works best for you.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith

Thanks again to all!

I have booked these short off the ship and to the plane flights before. But it has always been a very low cost ticket back home if I miss the flight. Myself I would not do it, to many things could go wrong, ship late, customs, transfers, weather, power outages, the list is 1000 items long.

Yes you could make it work if everything goes right but why take a chance.

Good luck with whatever you book.

I suspect if you want you can find a later flight that will still get you home but I wish you positive thoughts for whatever you end up selecting. If you remember come back after you get home and let us know what flight you took and how everything went.

Enjoy your cruise. Wonderful places.

Keith