MSC Seaside Review - March 3-10 2018 - Big and Tall Edition

scotte44

Buying a fantastic or Aurea experience doesn’t really fix food quality or pool/jacuzzi offerings.

It was not my impression that OP would have paid more on the Seaside necessarily, but rather have paid similar or more on Celeb or Freedom of the Seas because the pool and dining options, which OP is very open and honest as being of key importance, match his wants better.

That was actually one of the most well written reviews I have read in a long time. Everyone has different values so knowing OPs gives a great frame of reference when they critique something

Agree. This is a very good review. OP makes clear what he is looking for and why this was a less than perfect fit; he’s not hostile or bitter about that, obviously still enjoyed most of the experience, and gave details that are helpful to others in researching their options. I love that he ended with the final comment about missing the ship as soon as it was back to real life!

I continue to be astounded at the reviews noting a lack of free tap water with meals on MSC unless you have this or that package. To US customers an up charge for plain water at meals (or having to upgrade your package) seems particularly irksome and unreasonable. I don’t know if it’s unreasonable, but it feels unreasonable to me.

Like being told you need to bring a sleeping bag or you can pay an optional linen fee if you want sheets, or you can quit being so cheap and upgrade to the linen-inclusive package, and how this system allows everyone to pay a la carte for only what they want. Maybe not the same thing but for each person there is a line to cross between basic inclusions and luxurious upcharge options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see many positive comments about the Yacht Club. However, I shouldn't have to pay to be in a special part of the ship to have a good experience. Instead of paying for YC, I could save money and go on Celebrity or Royal and have better food and pools.

I don't disagree with you there: it is a sad thing, based on my experience with MSC. I will book inside YC (though I don't like insides) or a better cabin with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

There is a Travelzoo offer: https://www.travelzoo.com/cruises/caribbean/-659-Balcony-Cabin-on-Mega-Ship-w-345-in-Perks-2599656/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2599656&utm_campaign=us_top20_2018_11_deal%3a2599656

The Deal

TOP 20 - SELLS OUT QUICKLY!

Sail in an upgraded cabin aboard the world's largest ships this fall while enjoying perks worth $345. This sale on Royal Caribbean cruises includes eastern and western Caribbean itineraries sailing from South Florida with an exclusive perks package.

Here are the package details with inclusions per cabin:

• 7-night cruise in an oceanview balcony cabin aboard Allure of the Seas orOasis of the Seas
  • Prepaid gratuities (worth $203), spa credit for one guest (worth $100), $75 onboard credit, specialty dining credit (worth $70), coupon booklet and 10% off shore excursions

Sail roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale or Miami for the following per-person prices:

• $659 ... Sept. 2
  • $699 ... Sept. 16, 23, 30
  • $749 ... Sept. 9; Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28; Nov. 11, 25
  • $779 ... Sept. 16; +$10 Dec. 9; +$20 Oct. 28; Dec. 2

Ports vary by itinerary but may include Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Labadee, Haiti; Nassau, Bahamas; Cozumel, Mexico; or Roatan, Honduras.

I am very temped to book this, though I have the MSC YC booking for later this year. As a C&R Diamond I would also get free drinks, but I am really sick of Royal. Your point is well taken and for this reason I really want to try Windstar, Cunard, and Holland.

It is okay to express an opinion, why are you so defensive about MSC ?...I think it was a great review... I will post something when I return in April...it will be fair and balanced and my wife and I experiences...most cruise lines have pompom wavers defending their favorite line, but on MSC they bring out the daggers....I expect a good time in April, but we are prepared for the attacks when we post...😎😎

BF ... An opinion it may be, but still an Elitist opinion as far as I am concerned! what seems to be forgotten is that many who choose to cruise in Aurea and below can afford the YC but choose not to do so for various reasons.

As for cheerleaders I think you may be getting mixed up with those who like the MSC product and are happy with it and are sick and tired of those who have never cruised with them complaining that its not like this or its not like that and they have not got this or that, having paid a fraction of the price they normally would with their other choice of cruise lines and incurring a free benefit along the way.

Seaside may not be perfect for some but it is clear that it is for many others who do not use these boards but instead post their reviews on the likes of fb, the most recent one written by a guy who has done 200 cruises.

we have cruised with MSC six times so far on six different ships in Five different cruising areas including Seaside and will be doing so again in April, there are others who have already booked again and have made this known also on their fb groups.

A look at any of our reviews on these six cruises will show that we are certainly not cheerleaders but do give praise where it was warranted and also tell it as it is when there were things we were not happy with to the point that certain people cannot tell the difference between advice and something negative. The Divina first T.A being a case in point.

Thanks for your honest and detailed review. My wife and I pretty much look for the same things you do in a cruise nothing over the top just decent food and a place to relax by the pool. I read a lot about the YC experience but that is not something I want to pay that much money for. We are from Canada so the airfare to get to Florida plus the fact that our dollar is valued at .70 makes these trips more expensive for us. We are sailing 7 Apr in a Bella balcony and I will post a review when we get back.

Buying a fantastic or Aurea experience doesn’t really fix food quality or pool/jacuzzi offerings.

It was not my impression that OP would have paid more on the Seaside necessarily, but rather have paid similar or more on Celeb or Freedom of the Seas because the pool and dining options, which OP is very open and honest as being of key importance, match his wants better.

That was actually one of the most well written reviews I have read in a long time. Everyone has different values so knowing OPs gives a great frame of reference when they critique something

On the contrary, purchasing a cabin in the YC would have not only improved many of OP’s complaints (food quality, pools, etc.), but would have even improved on several of the items he considered excellent (embarkation, service, etc.).

I have no knowledge of whether OP could afford this or would even choose this if he could afford it, but a statement that a higher level experience (specifically YC) would not have improved his overall impression is simply not accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree.

There seems to be a good deal of confusion in respect to the MSC experiences and the Yacht Club. MSC is like flying on a jet...standby, coach, business and first class. Does anyone complain about that? You get what you pay for...period. OK...you booked Bella and you didn’t like what you got? Then they say they would rather book Celebrity or RCI...OK...do you want an inside, concierge, Aqua, or suites?? Again there are price points for each level. Let’s compare apples to apples. Try booking a Grand Suite on RCI or a Sky Suite on Celebrity for the same amount of money you would pay for the Yacht Club on MSC...good luck with that. The fact is you can’t even come close to the deal you get in the Yacht Club compared to the others. The Yacht Club beats them every time. The placement of the YC makes it totally isolated from the rest of the ship and is very discreet and low profile. Most of the other passengers aren’t even aware of the YC. MSC is a work in progress...the product continues to slowly improve and the old saying is still true...”You get what you pay for”. And that is not to say that you can’t have a great time in any of the other MSC experiences. Some people would rather prefer the other mass market lines for many different reasons.

IMO you can't in any way compare a Grand, or sky Suite to MSC yacht club. Maybe the royal suite but not the deluxe suite - just in terms of the cabin itself.

For Oct 5, 2019 the Yacht Club deluxe suite for 2 is 4313.66, which is a 269 sq ft cabin. The Grand Suite on Royal for Oct 6 Allure of the Seas is 4865. The crown loft suite added another $400 or so. All in all not a huge differnce, but the cabin is 371 sq feet.

The Aurea balcony is 2953.66, while a OV Balcony on Royal is 1915.00 - I can buy the drink package for less than the difference in balcony costs. I don't think though you could even begin to compare the Seaside to the Allure in terms of overall ship activities, etc. Personally I don't see the reasoning behind the Aurea class on MSC.

IMO you can't in any way compare a Grand, or sky Suite to MSC yacht club. Maybe the royal suite but not the deluxe suite - just in terms of the cabin itself.

Having had a Sky Suite (one of "the best" - connecting with the PS) I'll take YC over it any day!! Yes, the cabin was bigger with a huge bathroom - but how much time does one spend in the cabin, outside of sleeping? I would never book a suite on X again. I'd sail YC every time, if it were possible.

Thanks for your honest and detailed review. My wife and I pretty much look for the same things you do in a cruise nothing over the top just decent food and a place to relax by the pool. I read a lot about the YC experience but that is not something I want to pay that much money for. We are from Canada so the airfare to get to Florida plus the fact that our dollar is valued at .70 makes these trips more expensive for us. We are sailing 7 Apr in a Bella balcony and I will post a review when we get back.

We are on same sailing...fantastica category..looking forward to a new cruise line, ship and experience...😎😎

For Oct 5, 2019 the Yacht Club deluxe suite for 2 is 4313.66, which is a 269 sq ft cabin. The Grand Suite on Royal for Oct 6 Allure of the Seas is 4865. The crown loft suite added another $400 or so. All in all not a huge differnce, but the cabin is 371 sq feet.

The Aurea balcony is 2953.66, while a OV Balcony on Royal is 1915.00 - I can buy the drink package for less than the difference in balcony costs. I don't think though you could even begin to compare the Seaside to the Allure in terms of overall ship activities, etc. Personally I don't see the reasoning behind the Aurea class on MSC.

Disagree...... Not sure where your getting your prices....But a May cruise on Seaside (Aurea balcony) is $2494 same dates on Allure (outside balcony) is $2480.... Of course MSC experience includes beverages. So another $700 of value needs to be considered for MSC....Plus if you are cruising with children.... The value continues to increase.

Edited by lcpagejr

Disagree...... Not sure where your getting your prices....But a May cruise on Seaside (Aurea balcony) is $2494 same dates on Allure is $2480.... Of course MSC experience includes beverages. So another $700 of value needs to be considered for MSC....Plus if you are cruising with children.... The value continues to increase.

MSC and Royal websites for Oct 5, Oct 6 cruises. So for my date in question adding even $800 for a drink package, makes the Royal cruise cheaper, and if I booked a Parkview or Central View balcony the price was even less. I have a Central Park Balcony for Allure this coming October for $1399 with a $250 OBC.

MSC and Royal websites for Oct 5, Oct 6 cruises. So for my date in question adding even $800 for a drink package, makes the Royal cruise cheaper, and if I booked a Parkview or Central View balcony the price was even less. I have a Central Park Balcony for Allure this coming October for $1399 with a $250 OBC.

2019 is way to far to even consider the prices or even a cruise. Its been already discussed that MSC pricing for 2019 is high right now....It will drop. I book no more than 3-4 months out.... Thats why I used May 2018 prices

Is sincerely appreciate your review . But I do have a rather personal question . It concerns the bathroom situation . My husband and I are both tall and not exactly slender. We are booked in a Fantastica balcony but I am pretty sure all of the bathrooms are about the same size. So my question is what was the toilet seating situation ? I have heard it is necessary to sit on an angle . Not too sure about this ! Do you mind sharing your experience ? TIA !

2019 is way to far to even consider the prices or even a cruise. Its been already discussed that MSC pricing for 2019 is high right now....It will drop. I book no more than 3-4 months out.... Thats why I used May 2018 prices

I book really far out, as you can tell from my signature I have cruises booked through 2020 already. Our May cruise on the Seaside can't even book a balcony for three people at this time. In many instances I have found I get some decent prices booking really far out in advance. I don't generally ever book earlier than a year out. Our Seaside cruise was booked December 2015. Prices have consistently been higher than when we booked.

Is sincerely appreciate your review . But I do have a rather personal question . It concerns the bathroom situation . My husband and I are both tall and not exactly slender. We are booked in a Fantastica balcony but I am pretty sure all of the bathrooms are about the same size. So my question is what was the toilet seating situation ? I have heard it is necessary to sit on an angle . Not too sure about this ! Do you mind sharing your experience ? TIA !

The toilet angle didn't bother me much, had to turn a little bit. The shower size bothered me more.

I haven't looked up prices for May, but I was checking out prices for August 4th. Seaside is $1714 bella balcony guaranteed, $2594 fantastica balcony, $2994 aurea balcony and $3734 for YC inside. I can get a 2A Veranda on Celebrity Equinox for $2771 with the beverage package and $500 OBC.

I would be willing to try MSC again, but not the Seaside. I know many people liked the Divina. If I can stand up in the pools I would try it.

Just back from YC seaside....., hmmmm to be very honest.

Exept space on deck area, not a real improvement compared to X normal balcony...

Additionally no shade, thats the reason for us not to book Seaside again.....

You are correct...

I have spent a lot of time in the RCI Grand Suites and they are very nice but cannot be compared to the Yacht Club experience. I would prefer the YC over an RCI Grand Suite every time. The Grand Suite, as nice as it is, is just a bigger cabin. The Yacht Club experience is way above the GS In personal service and perks...no comparison.

I think this is a great review. I'm cruising in 2 weeks and a little nervous, we have cruised royal and disney. This was a great deal, but I value my time/vacation highly and will pay more for a better experience.

I'm hoping it's a good trip, as the group we are going with is fairly well traveled and took an msc cruise last year that they really enjoyed.

Thank you so much for your great review! My husband and I are trying to decide if we are trying Seaside or not. We go to the buffet every night for dinner so it's nice to hear everything you had to say about it. Thanks! I'm now going to search Celebrity!!! :)