Dissapointing upsell offer?

bigwally

I would call back

i did call back with counter offer but to no avail but we can handle SS cabin.....they have a good amount of cabins available...but who knows the #of guarantees....HAL seems to make cabins sold out one day then appear back two or three days later, new to HAL maybe they do it like that always

• 2 weeks later...
I got an up-sell offer email today - obstructed H to OV C-FF for $99pp. Was absolutely not interested because we chose a very specific cat H (7083, Navigation deck aft on Volendam), but I would have maybe gone for an up-sell to a Verandah (for more money than requested for the OV up-sell, obviously).

So I called in and said, "I'm not really interested in this, but do you have any other up-sells going I might be more interested in?" "Josh" replied, "If it's not in the offer letter, then no".

So do I already have to be in a cat C-FF OV to get an up-sell offer to a Verandah? If so, that seems like a pretty narrow minded way of doing things. Color me very disappointed. Do you think I should call in again and not mention the offer letter?

yOU have the option to call or have your TA call and say you would like to be in a verandah ca bin A sk what cabins are available and what is he going rate.. In other words pay fo r what you want ;)

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

The moral of the story is ... If you want an OV cabin, book an OV cabin ... If you want a balcony cabin, book a balcony cabin ! Not trying to defend HAL, but calling THEM narrow minded because of YOUR choice is pushing it !

Exactly! People sometimes forget that the line does not have the same point of view as the passenger; in fact, they actually want the passenger to pay as much as possible, and not as little as possible.

Got the same crappy upgrade offer again today. Blah!

Just curious but why do you think you or anyone should b e getting better than a 'crappy upgrade offer' as you pu t? Have people come to expect it?

yOU have the option to call or have your TA call and say you would like to be in a verandah ca bin A sk what cabins are available and what is he going rate.. In other words pay fo r what you want ;)

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

This is what I would do. In fact, this is what I did for my upcoming sailing. The category I wanted wasn't available when I first made the purchase. As soon as I saw it open up I emailed my PCC and upgraded. :)

Is there a central thread where we can post our upsell offers? I think that would be very useful to gauge the value of an upsell deal. As well, posting whether it was the first upsell offer, or second, or third...

There isn't a central thread but I think it's a good idea if you want to start one. :)

Just curious but why do you think you or anyone should b e getting better than a 'crappy upgrade offer' as you pu t? Have people come to expect it?

My take on his post was that he was just lightly venting. I don't think anyone "expects" it per se.

My take on his post was that he was just lightly venting. I don't think anyone "expects" it per se.

Maybe so but it is not the first post this week in which he expressed similar sentiments.

Is there a central thread where we can post our upsell offers? I think that would be very useful to gauge the value of an upsell deal. As well, posting whether it was the first upsell offer, or second, or third...

I think quiet discretion is the better response. Set your own personal value in any upsell offer and take it or leave it. But don't broadcast it to those who may have paid full price.

Upsells are a "dutch auction":

A method of selling in which the price is incrementally reduced until a buyer is found.

And they always start at the top (Pinnacle suites) for those in SA,SB, SS, Vista. When those are filled they offer cabins that open up from lower bookings. (Unless entire ship sold out)

The moral of the story is ... If you want an OV cabin, book an OV cabin ... If you want a balcony cabin, book a balcony cabin ! Not trying to defend HAL, but calling THEM narrow minded because of YOUR choice is pushing it !

I totally agree with you! One exception that I will defend Holland America.

+1 (y)

So agree. Upsells are a bonus. You need to book the cabin you are happy with up front and not "bank" on something better at a cheap price.

+1 (y)

So agree. Upsells are a bonus. You need to book the cabin you are happy with up front and not "bank" on something better at a cheap price.

It'd be really nice if some posters quit taking shots at other posters who are simply talking about the upsell offers they have received. NOWHERE did I see ANYONE say they are counting on GETTING an upsell in order to sail the category they WANTED but didn't book.

From what I have read, the comments have been about the upsell offer price, NOT about the cabin category the posters picked initially.

I completely agree with the comments about some of the upsell prices. When HAL wants me to pay 110% more than I've already paid, to move up one category, that seems not-great.

As for the advice to "pick the cabin you want and pay the price", we pick gtys in a sub-category that we are happy with. The possibility of an upsell doesn't enter our decision-making. But we do consider upsells when they are offered.

So please, since this board is about cruising, let people talk about cruising -- which (sometimes) includes upsells.

It'd be really nice if some posters quit taking shots at other posters who are simply talking about the upsell offers they have received. NOWHERE did I see ANYONE say they are counting on GETTING an upsell in order to sail the category they WANTED but didn't book.

From what I have read, the comments have been about the upsell offer price, NOT about the cabin category the posters picked initially.

I completely agree with the comments about some of the upsell prices. When HAL wants me to pay 110% more than I've already paid, to move up one category, that seems not-great.

As for the advice to "pick the cabin you want and pay the price", we pick gtys in a sub-category that we are happy with. The possibility of an upsell doesn't enter our decision-making. But we do consider upsells when they are offered.

So please, since this board is about cruising, let people talk about cruising -- which (sometimes) includes upsells.

You can’t change some people but totally agree with your point

Also on CC you get a great amount of valuable information not all will be what one wants to hear but it helps one in their decision making IMO only thanks

I've never had an upsell offer! Is this usual? I have cruised on a number of lines and this time is my first with HAL. We have a Guarantee Veranda VF (only option available for me when I booked) and I will be happy with any balcony cabin. The first cruise I went on was the only cruise where I was upgraded - from inside to outside. I have asked to be moved on two occasions. Once due to bad weather and sickness (top back location) to be nearer family (inside to inside mid ship) and once due to a noisy cabin. Outside to balcony - which I guess was a second upgrade although at the time I was ready to fly home rather than have another sleepless night. On the whole I have been happy with the cabins booked or allocated although would love to hear the words upsell offer.

People may be "taking shots", as you put it, because OP complained: "So do I already have to be in a cat C-FF OV to get an up-sell offer to a Verandah? If so, that seems like a pretty narrow minded way of doing things. Color me very disappointed."

It probably was the "narrow minded" accusation which prompted some of the responses that you are now criticizing.