Predict where Zika will be?

Hiya, looking for some info if anyone has it concerning the “likelihood” of the Zika virus showing up this summer season in places it previously was.

The CDC’s world map currently shows that Florida previously had it, and Bermuda and Bahamas are clear.

I’m trying to book a cruise for this summer and am pregnant. Should I just assume that these areas will have Zika again once the travel season is in full swing/mosquitos become more prevalent (??)

If anyone understands the science of how it all works in the sense of how the infected mosquitoes themselves get around it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure how anyone can accurately make that kind of prediction other then to say that Zika will be just about anywhere in the Caribbean, Central America, Africa, Asia, South Pacific and the Southeast of the USA. Here is a link to the CDC map showing where the virus is a threat:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-information

We live in Puerto Vallarta (for 10 weeks a year) where there have been a few (very few) reported cases of Zika. It is a subject not even mentioned in normal conversations down here as its just one more disease risk out of many. Consider once you move into the warmer climates you not only have the Zika risk but also have Dengue, Chickungunya, and many types of parasites.

So what to do? If pregnant, move to Alaska. Otherwise you just have to accept the risk along the risk of anything else. Personally, living here in Mexico I am most concerned with drinking too much Tequilia, falling off one of our lousy sidewalks, and being hit by a bus (we have too many).

But seriously, when our DD thought she might be pregnant we urged her to cancel her annual visit to Puerto Vallarta (she did cancel). And by the way, just finishing up our 10 weeks here in PV and I have not had a single mosquito bite this year (we live in a Condo where large sliding doors are always wide open). The Mexican government has done an amazing job spraying and taking other steps to reduce the mosquito population in the city area.

Hank

Not sure how anyone can accurately make that kind of prediction other then to say that Zika will be just about anywhere in the Caribbean, Central America, Africa, Asia, South Pacific and the Southeast of the USA. Here is a link to the CDC map showing where the virus is a threat:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-information

We live in Puerto Vallarta (for 10 weeks a year) where there have been a few (very few) reported cases of Zika. It is a subject not even mentioned in normal conversations down here as its just one more disease risk out of many. Consider once you move into the warmer climates you not only have the Zika risk but also have Dengue, Chickungunya, and many types of parasites.

So what to do? If pregnant, move to Alaska. Otherwise you just have to accept the risk along the risk of anything else. Personally, living here in Mexico I am most concerned with drinking too much Tequilia, falling off one of our lousy sidewalks, and being hit by a bus (we have too many).

But seriously, when our DD thought she might be pregnant we urged her to cancel her annual visit to Puerto Vallarta (she did cancel). And by the way, just finishing up our 10 weeks here in PV and I have not had a single mosquito bite this year (we live in a Condo where large sliding doors are always wide open). The Mexican government has done an amazing job spraying and taking other steps to reduce the mosquito population in the city area.

Hank

But that’s my question. According to the CDC, at the moment Florida and the Bahamas and Bermuda have no threat right now. In your experience you believe that come summer (when I would be going on a cruise) Zika will yet again cover the these areas?

I know you cannot look into the future. Thanks for the info.

Although I would never travel to an area with reported Zika cases while pregnant, I think Bermuda would be less likely to have an issue. On my past few cruises to the caribbean, I have received warnings from the cruise lines about Zika. It seems like a safer alternative for a pregnant person going on a cruise in the summer is to cruise to Canada or Alaska. On my last two cruises, there were bugs on the ship. I don't know what kind, but they were there.

"There have been six confirmed imported (travel-related) cases of

as of February 2017. Given that we have a population that travels frequently, imported cases remain likely to occur. There is no known local transmission of Zika virus in Bermuda."

https://www.gov.bm/zika-virus

Although I would never travel to an area with reported Zika cases while pregnant, I think Bermuda would be less likely to have an issue. On my past few cruises to the caribbean, I have received warnings from the cruise lines about Zika. It seems like a safer alternative for a pregnant person going on a cruise in the summer is to cruise to Canada or Alaska. On my last two cruises, there were bugs on the ship. I don't know what kind, but they were there.

"There have been six confirmed imported (travel-related) cases of

as of February 2017. Given that we have a population that travels frequently, imported cases remain likely to occur. There is no known local transmission of Zika virus in Bermuda."

https://www.gov.bm/zika-virus

Thank you for the info. You are right, after further research it looks like the only green light that is tropical and not Europe is Bermuda. I’m going to look at pricing and such for cruises that only go there. Thanks!

Thank you for the info. You are right' date=' after further research it looks like the only green light that is tropical and not Europe is Bermuda. [/quote']

Bermuda is subtropical. There is no locally transmitted Zika in Hawaii.

Be sure to research the prognancy limitations of your chosen cruise line. You cannot enter your 24th week of pregnancy any time during your cruise on most lines. EM

Yes I was aware of that. I will be fine at the beginning of the summer. Thank you.

Hiya' date=' looking for some info if anyone has it concerning the “likelihood” of the Zika virus showing up this summer season in places it previously was.

The CDC’s world map currently shows that Florida previously had it, and Bermuda and Bahamas are clear.

I’m trying to book a cruise for this summer and am pregnant. Should I just assume that these areas will have Zika again once the travel season is in full swing/mosquitos become more prevalent (??)

If anyone understands the science of how it all works in the sense of how the infected mosquitoes themselves get around it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Zika has become endemic in the entire Caribbean. You should expect it to be anywhere that you go. I would suggest delaying your cruise.

BTW most cruise lines have cut off dates between 20 and 24 weeks of pregnancy, so you may not be cruising this summer anyway.

Thank you for the info. You are right, after further research it looks like the only green light that is tropical and not Europe is Bermuda. I’m going to look at pricing and such for cruises that only go there. Thanks!

Huh? What about the Pacific, e.g., Hawaii.

I wouldn’t chance it either. South Carolina? North Carolina? not sure what is considered safe for Zika currently. I understand wanting to get away before the baby, but since we can’t predict the future I think I would play it safe rather than get stuck with a vacation plan that might be unsafe for your little one

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hiya, looking for some info if anyone has it concerning the “likelihood” of the Zika virus showing up this summer season in places it previously was.

Thanks for your help.

After more research I’ve booked a cruise that sails out of New York to Bermuda. Bermuda is safe and I recommend anyone who is looking for a trip on a sandy beach that isn’t a 10 hour flight away to look at this area :-)

After more research I’ve booked a cruise that sails out of New York to Bermuda. Bermuda is safe and I recommend anyone who is looking for a trip on a sandy beach that isn’t a 10 hour flight away to look at this area :-)

Sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great time. What month are you cruising? Remember that Bermuda is not the Caribbean and air and water temperatures may be cooler than you are expecting.

Sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great time. What month are you cruising? Remember that Bermuda is not the Caribbean and air and water temperatures may be cooler than you are expecting.

End of July so I think we will get the best weather. Thank you!