Miniature Wonderland.

Summergee

We are interested in visiting Miniature Wonderland when we are in Hamburg later this year. We are scheduled to dock at the Steinwerder cruise terminal. Does anyone know if we can walk from the ship or if we will require a taxi?

I can't answer your question about walking from Steinwerder since we docked at Hafencity, but I can tell you that Miniatur Wunderland was easily the most memorable single place we visited during our 3 days in Hamburg. You can easily spend 4 hours or more will never be bored. If we ever get back to Hamburg, I will want to go back again.

It will be too far to walk from Steinwerder terminal.

There is a public bus connection with very bad and infrequent service - but you may be lucky. Alternatively, Cunard may offer a shuttle to the City Center, or you need a taxi.

Make sure to book Miniature Wunderland in advance - otherwise you may end waiting for 60-90minutes.

We took the Cunard excursion there along with a short City tour. Doing it this way we were handed our tickets with no wait in line. The museum is wonderful and can get very crowded! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello there!

We were in Hamburg in January with my folks on QV. Docked at Steinwerder.

It's too far to sensibly walk, but a frequent shuttle is put on that runs to the centre of town.

Minature Wonderland is superb..but I'd recommend booking, as even in Jan there was a 90 min wait.

Also consider a water boat tour type thing.

There are several companies that run them -come out of M Wonderland, go over the bridge, turn left and they're down there.

Well worth doing as get the see some of the massive dry docks, go through some of the smaller waterways in the city....and our trip went out to Steinwerder and alongside QV.

What's also very doable if tickets for MW are all gone, is getting the train from the Hauptbahnhof out to the beautiful city of Lubeck. A doddle to to. A Google will get you train times/frequency.

Plenty to do in Hamburg by yourself, and no need at all to do an overpriced ships tour.

Have fun!!

Mr H.

Thanks Mr H, do you remember where the shuttle dropped off in the city?

Hia Hattie!

Alter Wall

About 200 yards west of the Rathaus.

Look up Alter Wall on Google Earth/Map or equivalent.

You'll see a 'semicircle' of grass. We were dropped off and collected from there.

Regards,

Mr. H.

Hmmm.

I know I said it was too far to sensibly walk from Steinwerder to the city centre, but on getting directions for "Walking" on Google Maps (or whatever) shows there's a walking route of about 2.5 miles, so about a 50 min walk.

You go under the river through The Old Elbe Tunnel of 1911, which looks fascinating!

It could be quite an interesting walk!!

I've NOT done this walk, so do further research yourself if you think it's an option to see a different part of the city!

Regards,

Mr. H.

Hmmm.

I know I said it was too far to sensibly walk from Steinwerder to the city centre, but on getting directions for "Walking" on Google Maps (or whatever) shows there's a walking route of about 2.5 miles, so about a 50 min walk.

You go under the river through The Old Elbe Tunnel of 1911, which looks fascinating!

It could be quite an interesting walk!!

I've NOT done this walk, so do further research yourself if you think it's an option to see a different part of the city! .

The Old Elbe Tunnel in Hamburg is a fun and interesting walk. There aren't many places where you can walk Under a river. We found several good restaurants for seafood along the shore. (If you ask, most of the restaurants will give give you a menu printed in English.)

I booked MW just over two months ago for the 25 March and even back then the first bookable slot was 13:00 and as someone has mentioned they are now all gone.

Good to hear about the shuttle bus although we might walk if it is a nice day.

DJ