Planks and Steamers on the Caribbean Princess - impressions please

Oh2B@C

Has anyone experienced the new Planks and Steamers restaurants on the Caribbean Princess? I'd be curious to hear some impressions. Not just dinner either, what it is like to have breakfast and lunch there? Do they offer different food options than the World Fresh Marketplace?

I quite like the revamped buffet on the Caribbean - it seemed more spacious and we never struggled to find a table. At breakfast the fresh omelettes were nice but we didn’t have anything at lunchtime from the Steamers/Planks area.

We thought the offerings in World Fresh Marketplace were plentiful and of good quality.

We tried Steamers one evening and thoroughly enjoyed it but the service was a bit chaotic owing to food having to be cooked one deck below because there was a fault with the ‘local’ kitchen. We didn’t try Planks as Mrs Omega is not a fan of ‘reconstituted’ meat ie burgers, sausages, meatballs, etc.

So, overall a thumbs up from us but we are simple folk who do not have particularly sophisticated palates - but enjoy good ingredients that are well cooked.

We had dinner at Planks in Nov. You choose 4 meats (meatballs, ribs, pulled pork, chicken, sausage were choices). The meats are served on a tray accompanied by french fries, beans, cole slaw, corn on cob (if I remember all sides correctly). The food was very good and way too much to eat. Dessert was also good we had something chocolate. The one thing I didn't like was that I only wanted ribs and chicken one serving of each, but they said I had to choose 4 so I ordered double ribs and double chicken. I feel like I was forced to waste food.

Absolutely loved both! We first tried Planks then another night we went to Planks again and they let my husband order from Steamers menu and me from Planks (as i dont eat seafood). Both were excellent value for money and delicious. Would agree on the serving size - HUGE!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone experienced the new Planks and Steamers restaurants on the Caribbean Princess? I'd be curious to hear some impressions. Not just dinner either, what it is like to have breakfast and lunch there? Do they offer different food options than the World Fresh Marketplace?

Planks in January. Pretty good meal. Worth the $12. You select 4 meats from a menu of 6 different ones. All 4 can be the same if you wish. Decent amount of food, but not an immense amount. Did not try Steamers.

During the day, breakfast & lunch, it is a seating area for the World Fresh Marketplace (buffet). There are also some selections on what was the original Cafe Caribe buffet lines. This is where the made to order omelets are prepared for breakfast. There is no charge during the day. The aft end of both table seating areas is a small comfortable sitting area, where you can have your coffee, read a book, or whatever.

We went to Steamers twice for dinner in November but I don't remember having breakfast or lunch there. It was extremely quiet both times that we went and wonder how long it will last. We both really liked the menu/food and hope they keep it as an option but didn't seem to have mass appeal. We had no interest in Planks instead opting for Crown Grille for our carnivore fix.

During the day, breakfast & lunch, it is a seating area for the World Fresh Marketplace (buffet). There are also some selections on what was the original Cafe Caribe buffet lines. This is where the made to order omelets are prepared for breakfast. There is no charge during the day. The aft end of both table seating areas is a small comfortable sitting area, where you can have your coffee, read a book, or whatever.

This is kind of what I am expecting. When it was Café Caribe, it did not generate any extra revenue (unless Crab Shack). So it's not much of a risk to turn it into two $12 dinner venues and maintain it as sort of what it was with Caribe for breakfast and lunch. Caribe used to have one or two different things; and in any case was not open past 5:30 PM (on the Crown and Ruby anyway). It just takes away from free buffet seating space at dinner but many ships are using that aft space for fee-generation, like the Crab Shack. Besides, dinner in the buffet is never usually that busy. I am looking forward to seeing the new decor though. Maybe even try Planks one evening - have done the Crown Grill sufficiently often and Planks would have plenty of food from what I gather. Will be able to see for myself on April 21!

IMHO they need to tweak it just a bit. Add sliced bbq beef and pork to the mix and drop the meatballs. It was good but if you are really into great bbq it may disappoint. I went twice last year when it 1st came out. It's nice that you can now order 4 of the same meat, when I went I had to choice 4 different meats. Worth the up charge and is different.

The Trident Grill use to have BBQ night during the cruise, I don't now if they still do, their pulled pork sandwich was the best I've ever had. I'd pay the cover charge just for that sandwich and was disappointed they did not offer it. The pull pork in Planks was not as good as I'd had at the Trident Grill on past cruises.

framer