I am devastated

JoJo1973

RDCI:

we have the same credit card and have never seen anything about this in the paperwork or on line. Can you tell me where you are reading this?

Thanks

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/united_explorer-travel-protection-new.htm

Talks about the travel protection benefits. While it does not give the coverage amount you can call the number on the same page and they will tell you.

This seems like the best way to handle this. Just go and check in say she is coming on here own. But she should not put claim in until last minute so the ship does not have until after it has sailed. Sometimes you need to play the system so you can win.

The odds are her claim would be denied since there are both time limits for claiming a covered cause, as well as required documentation showing the date of incident being used to generate the covered cause. . At worse it might be considered insurance fraud.

I don't get how this would work.

Situation 1: Person A gets insurance and B does not - and A has to cancel due to insurable event - princess has the insurance to cover A's loss and B has paid their share. And now they ask B to pay double. So effectively they're getting reimbursement for 3 fares, not 2.

I am looking at it from a different point of view.

Person A pays their half of a double occupancy cabin ($1500) and doesn't buy insurance. Person B pays their half of a double occupancy cabin ($1500) and does buy insurance ($150). Person B cancels their portion of the cruise and is reimbursed ($1500). If Princess doesn't charge for the second half of the double occupancy portion for the cabin, Person A could essentially book a $3000 cabin for $1650 (if they picked up the cost of that insurance policy for Person B. But, since Princess does charge a single supplement, this prevents people from booking a double occupancy cabin for the cost of one passenger plus the cost of insurance for one passenger ... or a $3000 cabin for $1650. One could book a second passenger to that cabin that never intends on showing up, buy insurance for them and then get your own room?? Maybe couples wouldn't necessarily want to do this but let's say you are traveling with friends or other family members (or a snoring spouse) and want the convenience, quiet and privacy of not sharing a room ... this would catch on very quickly as a way to get your own cabin without paying the single supplement. Nifty little way to game the system, right?? It sounds like it might border on insurance fraud? I don't think that is what the OP was doing ... I'm just saying I understand why she would be charged the single supplement.

Also, sometimes cruiselines actually charge more than 100% for a single supplement (rare but I've read that it does happen) as they know passengers will usually have to spend money once onboard ... they are actually counting on it!

In this case where the mother has Princess insurance and the OP has insurance via CC used to purchase cruise the solution is simple either both go or both cancel and file a claim with their respective insurance.

The rules on the Princess insurance is clear even if the op did not understand it at the time the cruise was purchased.

Did you have insurance with the Princess cruise line?

Just wondering since I got insurance for myself through Princess for our cruise next year.

The time we had to cancel was for a Holland America cruise. Our insurance was through HAL. We have used our Princess insurance to reimburse us for DH's uncovered charges when he's visited the ship's doctor. Last summer, we paid around $400 for his visit to the ship's doctor. His insurance reimbursed him for about half, and the Princess insurance covered the remainder. We got back more than we paid for the insurance on that cruise.

It is highly unlikely that any insurance would say that the diagnosis of cancer in a relative who is not the traveling companion is a medical coveted reason. If you or your mom( who had the insurance) were diagnosed that would be a different story. Of course you could use the cancel for any reason clause. Through Princess that is given as a credit to be used in a future cruise and through private insurance companies it is usually given as a reduced amount refunded and not the total amount that was paid.

We had an issue last year when our daughter had been diagnosed with metastatic cancer to her brain. We wanted to be with her to support her during some of her treatment. At the time it was not life threatening to her for us to be there. The insurance company said in order to be covered under a covered medical reason for a family member’s illness that is not a traveling companion , the physician must fill out papers saying that their condition is life threatening at that time and you need to be present at their bedside.

Credit card travel insurance is even more restrictive.

I do hope that your sister does well after her surgery and is able to receive whatever treatment they decide on to get the best possible outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is highly unlikely that any insurance would say that the diagnosis of cancer in a relative who is not the traveling companion is a medical coveted reason. If you or your mom( who had the insurance) were diagnosed that would be a different story. Of course you could use the cancel for any reason clause. Through Princess that is given as a credit to be used in a future cruise and through private insurance companies it is usually given as a reduced amount refunded and not the total amount that was paid.

We had an issue last year when our daughter had been diagnosed with metastatic cancer to her brain. We wanted to be with her to support her during some of her treatment. At the time it was not life threatening to her for us to be there. The insurance company said in order to be covered under a covered medical reason for a family member’s illness that is not a traveling companion , the physician must fill out papers saying that their condition is life threatening at that time and you need to be present at their bedside.

Credit card travel insurance is even more restrictive.

I do hope that your sister does well after her surgery and is able to receive whatever treatment they decide on to get the best possible outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually many insurance plans consider major illness or injury to a non traveling family member as a valid reason. My CC lists that as a covered cause.

Actually many insurance plans consider major illness or injury to a non traveling family member as a valid reason. My CC lists that as a covered cause.

Yes...so does mine but as stated in my previous post it must be documented by the physician that your presence is needed at the bedside at that time because it is a life threatening condition at the time of cancellation.

From a practical standpoint only, not formally cancelling the trip with Princess might potentially help the OP but it may invalidate the mom's ability to collect insurance. Don't know this for sure, but based on our experience filing for Princess insurance in November, we needed to identify the date we contacted Princess with notice cancelling our cruise in addition to the medical documentation about my mom's hospitalization for our claim. It's a tough situation, all the way around.

Edited by LoriPhil

Yes...so does mine but as stated in my previous post it must be documented by the physician that your presence is needed at the bedside at that time because it is a life threatening condition at the time of cancellation.

Mine does not require that. Only documentation of a serious illness of a family member that developed after the purchase of insurance with notification to the company within the required timelines.

I have been on 28 cruises in the last 12 years, with two more in the next two months (all but four of them 12 nights or longer) only paid for insurance once.

We have done about 15 cruises where we have bought insurance and didn't need it. Last Aug it caught up to us and we had to cancel a 21K trip. Because we cancelled at 46 days out, We only lost just over 8K, but all covered by insurance. If the injury had occurred a few days later, the loss would have been closer to 18K. You take chances where you can, with big trips, we do not. Now that I have turned 65, a new wrinkle comes in as Medicare does not cover you outside of the United States. We encountered our first experience with someone who needed repatriation on a trip in 2013. With medical, it cost the person 44K to get back home. Some people think their Credit Card that has cancellation and some other trip related expense coverage will cover them. Better read the fine print. Some cards only cover 1K, some go to 10K. Then you also need to look at the pre-existing condition clause.

FYI, you can buy repatriation insurance on a per trip or annual basis. Per trip it can run as low as $15 or $125 annually.

It isn't only Medicare that may not cover outside of the US. I'm not 65, I have had the same Anthem BC/BS policy for many years. It specifically states that care outside the US is not covered. For that reason, I always buy travel insurance. I could afford to lose the cost of a cruise (not happily, but...), but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a huge medical bill should something happen to one of us. Note--some Anthem policies cover anywhere; mine does not. You must read the fine print.

And I do have credit card insurance--it specifically excludes medical coverage while traveling!

It isn't only Medicare that may not cover outside of the US. I'm not 65' date=' I have had the same Anthem BC/BS policy for many years. It specifically states that care outside the US is not covered. For that reason, I always buy travel insurance. I could afford to lose the cost of a cruise (not happily, but...), but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a huge medical bill should something happen to one of us. Note--some Anthem policies cover anywhere; mine does not. You must read the fine print.

And I do have credit card insurance--it specifically excludes medical coverage while traveling![/quote']

Our HMO did cover us overseas, but it wasn't a basic policy. Repatriation is the bigger expense. It can easily get close to 50K. When we had to cancel, I was emailed several stories of people breaking bones the morning they were to board overseas or a few days before. Simple things can happen like just stepping off a curb. In our case my DW went to get our dog from a condo and slipped on tile at the top of a two step drop.

You are right, read the fine print!

Our HMO did cover us overseas, but it wasn't a basic policy. Repatriation is the bigger expense. It can easily get close to 50K. When we had to cancel, I was emailed several stories of people breaking bones the morning they were to board overseas or a few days before. Simple things can happen like just stepping off a curb. In our case my DW went to get our dog from a condo and slipped on tile at the top of a two step drop.

You are right, read the fine print!

Again, every insurance policy is different. My policy is not basic either; I keep it because it is a grandfathered policy (exempt from Affordable Health Care Act regulations) and I've been told that it couldn't be equalled today. I it is costly...but haven't all the premiums gone thru the roof? And yes, it takes nothing to result in serious expenses and issues. A passport is cheap insurance, even on a closed loop cruise that doesn't require one; if you do require medical care, you won't be returning to the US on the ship. Yes, there are emergency passport procedures in place at the nearest US consulate, but do you really want to be dealing with that at a very stressed time?

Repatriation coverage will get you back home when you are medically stable to travel. It will also provide for one family member to stay with you while hospitalized in another country and get them back home as well.

We saw a teen fall on the deck of a ship, resulting in a compound fracture. He and mom had a bit of an extended vacation abroad. It can happen to anyone, including young, healthy people.

We have done about 15 cruises where we have bought insurance and didn't need it. Last Aug it caught up to us and we had to cancel a 21K trip. Because we cancelled at 46 days out, We only lost just over 8K, but all covered by insurance. If the injury had occurred a few days later, the loss would have been closer to 18K.

I assume your insurance would have covered that amount.

Update on my sister: I spoke with her for quite some time last night. She is in good spirits. The tumor was larger than originally thought - 16cm x 9cm (so over 6 inches at one side). The lymph nodes look cancer free so they thing they got it all in the surgery. She is sore and medicated/nauseated so needing help. Family and church are helping a lot. She's a nurse and she's actually staying on her own floor so she got to hand pick her own doctor and nurses. She probably will go home tomorrow.

Mom still wants to go on the cruise. We will know a bit more in the next couple days when the full diagnosis is available. We're supposed to fly to LA in 9 days.

Princess Cruises has been a nightmare through all of this. This is the second problem we've had (the first being an itinerary change that they should have known about and informed well before the 75 day cancellation window... but they waited until day 57. PRINCESS CRUISES NEVER AGAIN!

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that the cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes. Hopefully the rest of her treatment will go well.

Good news that your mom may go on the cruise after all, so problem solved with the solo supplement. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise together.

Frankly, I'm at a loss to understand why you blame Princess for this predicament. Any mainstream cruise line has the same policies. Its up to the consumer to be fully aware of the pros and cons of insurance. Your travel agent should explain this and if you are not well traveled, then next time you should consider working with a TA who can guide you through all of these hurdles.

Not to sound harsh, but I'm unsure as to how not going on your cruise will do anything to help with your sister's diagnosis. I understand that she may want to be by her bedside, but for the moment there doesn't appear to be anything that indicates that her situation will deteriorate in such a short amount of time. That being said, if I were your mother I would still go on the trip and interrupt if necessary. That way, my decision to not go would not be a financial burden to the person going with me.

Not to sound harsh, but I'm unsure as to how not going on your cruise will do anything to help with your sister's diagnosis. I understand that she may want to be by her bedside, but for the moment there doesn't appear to be anything that indicates that her situation will deteriorate in such a short amount of time. That being said, if I were your mother I would still go on the trip and interrupt if necessary. That way, my decision to not go would not be a financial burden to the person going with me.

(y)

Yep, I think this is what's going to happen. Sister said she was OK with us going. She has a lot of support at home with husband and 2 good behaviored kids (14 and 10). And people from their church have been bringing over lots of meals. Hopefully she will get out of the hospital tomorrow and then start recovery. It's been a real whirlwind week...

Last Tuesday she went with her family to an amusement park and did some rides. Was feeling bloated (but had been eating greasy, salty foods). By 10 pm she was in terrible pain (she said worse than childbirth, and constant) and could see something protruding and hard to touch in her stomach area. Got to emergency room and waited and waited. Discovered it was a tumor and it was bleeding (this caused the pain). Thursday surgery... now more waiting. So happy she has a great support system at home.

Oh, and some have mentioned to fly home if something emerges at home - this would be difficult at times, since there are a lot of sea day with a stretch of 5 days and 8 days. But we hope for the best and no troubles at home.

Just wanted to say I am sorry about your sisters diagnosis. I hope that she is doing well and will push through this all. I am a 4.5 year cancer survivor and was diagnosed a 36. We took our first real vacation, hubby and I, in 14 years without kids and chose Princess. I hope you and your mom get to enjoy the cruise.

Yep, I think this is what's going to happen. Sister said she was OK with us going. She has a lot of support at home with husband and 2 good behaviored kids (14 and 10). And people from their church have been bringing over lots of meals. Hopefully she will get out of the hospital tomorrow and then start recovery. It's been a real whirlwind week...

Last Tuesday she went with her family to an amusement park and did some rides. Was feeling bloated (but had been eating greasy, salty foods). By 10 pm she was in terrible pain (she said worse than childbirth, and constant) and could see something protruding and hard to touch in her stomach area. Got to emergency room and waited and waited. Discovered it was a tumor and it was bleeding (this caused the pain). Thursday surgery... now more waiting. So happy she has a great support system at home.

Gosh how quickly things can happen!!! I do hope you manage to make the cruise and that your sister recovers quickly.