Transfer Rome to Civitavecchia

Hi all

I am looking at a cruise on Jewel of the seas next year. It starts in Civitavecchia. I have looked at some transfers from the airport and the easiest sound very expensive. While the cheapest (train) looks complicated.

Could any of you share your experiences if this port and any useful tips.

Much appreciated

Amy

Amy

Amy

Navigator of the Seas July 2016

Serenade of the Seas May 2017

Brilliance of the Seas August 2017

Navigator of the Seas August 2018

Independence of the Seas October 2018

The train is doable, but personally with luggage in tow I use one of the car services you can find online. Of course it´s more expensive but to me it´s well worth the money for comfort.

IIRC using the train you have to transfer from the aiport into the city to Termini and from there get the train to Civitavecchia. From the train station you will have to walk towards the port entrance and get on a port shuttle from there to get to the ship.

Only you will know about your amount of luggage in tow and ability to handle it. It´s certainly doable, especially if you are a light traveler. I am not a light traveler, so it wouldn´t even cross my mind to take the train.

I have done transfers per car and per train. As the previous poster has described, the train option is feasible if you do not have a lot of luggage to negotiate. There are good and reliable transfer companies online. It is not cheap but the transfer time is, as far I can remember, about one hour.

Ivi

No need to go to Roma Termini if you choose the train.

Fiumicino Airport: take the train FL1 to Rome city center, get off at “Trastevere Station” and change the line in the direction of Civitavecchia FL5. It takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes, and you will pay a total of €12.60 (€8 + €4.60). Alternatively, you can get off at “Roma Ostiense Station” to change the line to Civitavecchia.

Here is what I recommend: Pick up a rental car from the airport, (around EUR 42.79), drive to Civita di Bagnoregio (2hours), drive to Civitavecchia (1:20), drop car off and walk to hotel.International Driving Permit required but easy to get.

Easy or cheap, your choice. Car service is easy, train is cheap. We always opt for the convenience of a car service, and have used DriverInRome.com multiple times and always had great service, with drivers who speak good English. IIRC, you secure the rez online with a CC but pay in cash the day of service.

We used a car service company last year. Yes, it is more expensive but you will have peace of mind in getting to the port with no issues. I would just consider this an incidental cost of your cruise. Btw, you are in for a great experience. We had a fantastic time last Summer on the Jewel (out of Civitavecchia) and I am sure you will as well.

Hi, if I were you I would call Maurizio of MB Tours. Three years ago a group of 20 of us said the Mediterranean with Royal C... flew into Rome 4 days prior to the cruise. Spent a wonderful and informative 4 days with Maurizio and his absolutely wonderful drivers touring Rome. He and his staff are punctual, polite and go out of their way to please. You can check out his website: http://www.mbtoursromeitaly.com/en/, email at mbtours@hotmail.com. He is also very accessible on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/maurizio.buccioni. He can easily accommodate a transfer.

Tell him Glen said hello. Feel free to email me if you wish...glen1234@aol.com

I gave up and just booked the RCI transfer from the airport. I'm getting in 2 nights early and opted to stay at the airport Hilton and figured I can walk over to the RCI meeting point in the airport from there. Maybe next time I'm in Rome I'll feel comfortable enough navigating the city to stay in Rome, but as a first timer to Rome and as a solo older person I figured simple was best.

Hi all

I am looking at a cruise on Jewel of the seas next year. It starts in Civitavecchia. I have looked at some transfers from the airport and the easiest sound very expensive. While the cheapest (train) looks complicated.

Could any of you share your experiences if this port and any useful tips.

Much appreciated

Amy

Amy

Amy

Navigator of the Seas July 2016

Serenade of the Seas May 2017

Brilliance of the Seas August 2017

Navigator of the Seas August 2018

Independence of the Seas October 2018

We sailed the Jewel last Nov, Rome to San Juan and faced the same dilemma as you. Our hotel had a taxi for us at the airport to our Rome hotel for about $45. We inquired several times on the Italy port of call board as to the best options to get from Rome to

Civitavecchia. As has been stated, you have a train option, a shared van, a private taxi or a limo. We were on a 3 week trip and we had a lot of luggage and we just didn't want to schlep on the train just to save a few bucks, plus you still have to get from the train station to the cruise terminal. We opted to share a ride with some one we met on our roll call, which is what I would recommend to you. Check your roll call and see how the others are doing this trip and ask if anyone wants to share a ride. If not, then there are several shared shuttles you can use that will take you from Rome to

Civitavecchia for about $75. We did the ride on the morning of our cruise, several others, on our roll call stayed the night before in

Civitavecchia. That's up to you.

Cheers

Len

I gave up and just booked the RCI transfer from the airport. I'm getting in 2 nights early and opted to stay at the airport Hilton and figured I can walk over to the RCI meeting point in the airport from there. Maybe next time I'm in Rome I'll feel comfortable enough navigating the city to stay in Rome, but as a first timer to Rome and as a solo older person I figured simple was best.

You may know this but for others who may not.... the airport is nowhere near the actual city of Rome, so you cant just walk out of your room at the airport Hilton and start sightseeing. But, from the airport there is a train that goes directly to Rome Termini station in the city; its called the Leonardo Express. Its about 25-30 min and only 12euro or so. Its an easy way to get into Rome for the day you'll have pre-cruise to sight see there.

I never enjoy navigating luggage on commuter trains. It's a pain if there are not racks for large pieces of luggage, and if there are racks, I am nervous about leaving my bags semi-unattended. I used RomeinLimo on my last trip to Rome ... they got my party into the city and then the next day they took us to the port. Great drivers. No hassle. I've used that company every time I've been in Italy and not had a major issue.

Go on roll call for your cruise and see if you can arrange to split car/van hire We where 4 found an other group of 4 van was same price for 4or8 We arrived with in 1hr of ea other at airport and worked out well.Split private tour of Pompeii the same way with different group from our roll call

Viator has a $34pp transfer from Rome hotels to the port. I was going solo on on the Vision TA. Every other company I looked at wanted $100 plus/pp. It was a nice new Mercedes van, picked up 2 couples at 2 hotels after me. We all were going on different cruise lines. Was a great ride, discussing all our cruise histories and opinions.

You may know this but for others who may not.... the airport is nowhere near the actual city of Rome, so you cant just walk out of your room at the airport Hilton and start sightseeing. But, from the airport there is a train that goes directly to Rome Termini station in the city; its called the Leonardo Express. Its about 25-30 min and only 12euro or so. Its an easy way to get into Rome for the day you'll have pre-cruise to sight see there.

Thank you - I’m actually getting in early on my first day &, depending on how tired I am, may have 2 days to explore Rome. I’ve read the airport Hilton has a shuttle into Rome as well.

LOVED leaving from Rome. We used Bob's Limos and loved the service so much, we used them exclusively for TWO cruises leaving out of Civitevecchia. The picked us up at FCO, took us to our hotel in Rome. Day of cruise, they picked us up at our hotel and took us to the port, picked us up at port and took us back to Rome for one last night and picked us up in Rome and took us to FCO for our flight home. By booking four transfers, we got a discount. Stairs, streets with uneven pavements and dragging luggage for the train, watching out for the luggage on the train? No thanks. LOVED the convenience and the quick service they provided. EVERY driver was friendly, professional, spoke English and took very good care of us.