First timer with dogs questions

gkerlin

My wife and I - and our two mini Labradoodles - are taking the QM2 to Europe this coming May.

We will spend 5 months in Europe and return on the QM2 in October.

This is probably a subject thats been beaten to death but I'll ask about the dress code anyway.

I get the mens dress code. Wear a suit on formal night and a jacket the non-formal nights. (Collared shirts no jeans etc)

The ladies dress code seems a bit more intimidating however. My wife does not own any dresses that go down to her ankles. That is just not our style. Maybe down to her knees or just above but that is it. She bought several very nice classy looking dresses for this crossing that I'd be proud to go anywhere with her but I've read so many things on this forum about people being pulled aside and "discreetly spoken to" about dress code. I'd not want that to happen to her. Would a dress that just went to the knees be considered "offensive" or "show a lack of respect for fellow passengers" on formal nights?

We are packing as light as possible considering we'll be traveling for 5 months, with two dogs, our stuff.... their stuff... food dog beds etc etc. I will probably rent a Tux just so I dont have to drag a suit and folding garment bag all over Europe. I also work remotely from my office so I'll have an audit bag with files, computer, printer scanner etc. I'm trying to cut back on how much stuff I'll be "schlepping" around as we travel from place to place for 5 months.

If her dresses were not formal enough... where on the ship is acceptable those nights? Considering that we'll probably be spending much of our time up on deck 12 with our dogs anyway - but we cant hide in the kennels forever. We have to eat. :D:D:D:D

Don't get me wrong... we are looking forward to traveling to Europe on the QM2 but we are doing it mainly due to the dogs as we would not put them in the cargo hold of a 767 while we flew upstairs. So that said - the whole formal thing for us is an obstacle that we have to somehow navigate thru. Do it respectfully for the others, and yet still enjoy our trip.

What thoughts, suggestions, or assurances can you provide to a couple of newbies just trying to get from point A to point B with a little style and comfort for us and the dogs?

Thanks in advance

Greg

You can very easily and comfortably eat at the buffet on "formal" nights. People dress nicely in the buffet ( no jeans and tank tops in the evenings.) But certainly formal wear is N O T required there. I've done a few 1/2 W/C's on QV and QE and T/A several times on QM2 and this works for me. On non-formal nights, the clothing your describe will be fine for the dining room.

Y E S you will get a T O N of feedback on this subject.

Your trip will be lovely, you will become an addict of the "Q's" and the dogs will be in heaven and SUPER well cared for.

It will depend on the kind of dress that you are asking about.

Think about a dress that your wife would wear to an elegant cocktail party and your wife won‘t have a problem on QM2.

The official dress code may be a bit stricter, in reality you‘ll see a lot of nice cocktail dresses in the MDR on formal nights.

Your dogs will have the most amazing time and they really are the star attraction/guests onboard the ship.

I'd agree with you that you will spend the majority of you time with your dogs (they are like family after all) and the new kennel sitting area has been created so you can relax with them.

re :Dress code, rent a tux for formal nights and if you want a change in dinning make sure you try the alternative dinning experiences. However now that Kings court has had its upgrade its actually quite a nice environment and the choice of food should appeal to most tastes.

Have a wonderful crossing and take some pictures of your dogs onboard to remember a treasured and unique time away with them.

Sorry forgot to say, why not pack a bag with things for your amazing trip that you don't require for the voyage and then Cunard can hold load this bag for you and deliver it at Southampton.

We always take one suitcase just for our formal wear (Tuxedo, Evening Gowns, dance shoes, etc) on the QM2 TA. If we are going to be traveling on land after an EB crossing, we leave that suitcase with Cunard/White Star in Southampton. When you board for your return in Southampton, your stored suitcase will be delivered to your stateroom.

We always take one suitcase just for our formal wear (Tuxedo, Evening Gowns, dance shoes, etc) on the QM2 TA. If we are going to be traveling on land after an EB crossing, we leave that suitcase with Cunard/White Star in Southampton. When you board for your return in Southampton, your stored suitcase will be delivered to your stateroom.

Would Cunard hold this suitcase for 5 Months? That is how long we will be traveling prior to our return to the US on the QM2

I love to wear long on formal nights but not everyone does. As long as it’s dressy she’ll be fine. You never know she may want to join in on your return cruise - she can always find a new frock on your travels! Just don’t stress about it - Cunard transatlantic is a fun experience and with the small hairy ones with you you’re sure to have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too read up a lot on requirements for the QM2 Christmas/New Year cruise 2017/2018. I wanted to adhere to the rules as much as possible. However, I have to say I was really disappointed in the dress code rules and a large percentage of passengers just did whatever they felt like.

The after 6 jacket rule for men is a joke. The first formal night a gentleman on the adjacent table had on a grey polo shirt and no sign of ANY jacket at all. People really were wearing anything and I personally saw no-one refused entry. The theatre was exactly the same with one lady in the ship's bath robe. Nothing appeared to be said.

So just go with whatever you and your wife are comfortable with, certainly don't worry, I'm sure you will look just fab.

Would Cunard hold this suitcase for 5 Months? That is how long we will be traveling prior to our return to the US on the QM2
There is a monthly storage fee for the baggage storage in Southampton. I think the charge was $65 per bag for the first month and $30 for each month after that, but it has been several years since we last used this service and those prices may not be accurate. For us, the convenience offered by the Cunard/White Star service is worth the cost.

There have been other threads here about luggage storage that may give you more current information about charges. There are several businesses in Southampton that store baggage that were said to be considerably cheaper than the Cunard/White Star service. However, you would probably need to take a taxi to transport the baggage there and also to retrieve it before your return crossing.

For what it's worth, this unfortunate QM2 Christmas cruise was quite thoroughly discussed in another thread.

Regardless of yoj13's experience on that segment, the code IS generally enforced. (But not so strictly that you need to worry about returning to your cabin to dress in the early evening or whether a shorter dress is formal enough)

Thank you everyone for the helpful info.

I think it will probably be easier (and less expensive) to simply rent a Tux for me rather than store the clothes for 5 months.

Is it difficult to rent a Tux? Looks like our first formal night is day 2.

If we decided to skip formal dinner. Would black slacks and a jacket be ok for dinner at Kings Court?

Would we be restricted (or out of place) from walking the promenade?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get an idea what to expect.

Depends which part of the Kings Court you mean for dinner. If it's the speciality part, then you will need a jacket. If you just mean the buffet, then you can wear what you want although shorts aren't a good idea. You can wear what you want outside the ship at any time.

Thank you everyone for the helpful info.

I think it will probably be easier (and less expensive) to simply rent a Tux for me rather than store the clothes for 5 months.

Is it difficult to rent a Tux? Looks like our first formal night is day 2.

Unfortunately, Tuxedo rental is not an inexpensive option. Since you will be returning on the QM2, you will probably have 6 formal nights.

Black Tuxedo Packages**

Includes Dinner Jacket, trousers, shirt, bow tie & handkerchief.

Number of Nights - Cost (USD)

1 - $90

2 - $125

3 - $170

4 - $210

5 - $250

Buying a tuxedo (at Joseph Bank or Men's Warehouse in the US, or at Marks & Spencer in the UK) will be cheaper than renting, and Jos Bank will tailor it for you as part of the deal ( I don't know about the others).

But only buy at Jos Bank on sale. Their regular prices are insane.

I thought you said you would wear a suit? A dark suit and tie is fine. I have sailed several times wore tux and suit. If you don't want to bother with a tux a dark suit is just fine. Have you and your wife dressed up for a wedding? A guy in a suit a lady in a nice cocktail dress is just perfectly acceptable. Enjoy your crossing and don't worry about the dress code. You will love it especially because you will have your canine friends with you:)