Blue Flag Taxi Tours - Questions?

TwoMisfits

Hi everybody,

We'll be on the Anthem and visiting Bermuda for 2 days in Nov 2018. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:)...

1. We are a group of 7 (senior citizen mom, 2 adults, 2 teen girls, and 2 kid boys) - will we actually fit in a Blue Flag Taxi (my senior citizen mom is not small, but everyone else is regular-sized)?

2. If we do, do I have to book a tour of this type in advance, or can I walk off the ship about 2 hours after docking (aka when there's no line) and find someone easily? I'm not picky as long as they charge the going rate and can fit us:)...

3. What is the going rate right now (is it still $70/hour + tip with 3 hour min?)

4. What would be can't miss sites on a good 3-4 hr tour itinerary? I want to see pink beaches and sea glass...and then I'm not picky b/c my spouse and I visited the Dockyard for a day 10 years ago, so we've seen many of the close sites:)...my mom is mobile, but not up for lots of athleticism, although my boys will need a little "get-up-and-go", so we're looking for balance - not too long a drive, probably not much shopping, not planning on more than a walk and photos on any beach (since we'll do the beach day the 2nd day), although if something was cool enough, my mom would probably hang back while we did something short and active...

Thanks for any help you can provide:)...I spoiled my mom with amazing tours in Nassau and Freeport right before the hurricane this year (where we paid almost nothing and got amazing tours and service just walking off the ship, since all our ship tours were canceled), and I'm trying to keep her expectations in line for a tour like this, while not breaking the bank or being too cheap to have something fun for everyone:)...

PS - Oh, and we wouldn't plan to get wet on this tour (no snorkeling, swimming, etc wanted)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

• 3 months later...
how did you make out? I am interested

since your group sounds a lot like mine.

They have not done it yet. Their cruise is in November 2018. Somehow I missed their post last November. I will try to answer some of the questions in a following post.

Hi everybody,

We'll be on the Anthem and visiting Bermuda for 2 days in Nov 2018. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:)...

1. We are a group of 7 (senior citizen mom, 2 adults, 2 teen girls, and 2 kid boys) - will we actually fit in a Blue Flag Taxi (my senior citizen mom is not small, but everyone else is regular-sized)?

2. If we do, do I have to book a tour of this type in advance, or can I walk off the ship about 2 hours after docking (aka when there's no line) and find someone easily? I'm not picky as long as they charge the going rate and can fit us:)...

3. What is the going rate right now (is it still $70/hour + tip with 3 hour min?)

4. What would be can't miss sites on a good 3-4 hr tour itinerary? I want to see pink beaches and sea glass...and then I'm not picky b/c my spouse and I visited the Dockyard for a day 10 years ago, so we've seen many of the close sites:)...my mom is mobile, but not up for lots of athleticism, although my boys will need a little "get-up-and-go", so we're looking for balance - not too long a drive, probably not much shopping, not planning on more than a walk and photos on any beach (since we'll do the beach day the 2nd day), although if something was cool enough, my mom would probably hang back while we did something short and active...

Thanks for any help you can provide:)...I spoiled my mom with amazing tours in Nassau and Freeport right before the hurricane this year (where we paid almost nothing and got amazing tours and service just walking off the ship, since all our ship tours were canceled), and I'm trying to keep her expectations in line for a tour like this, while not breaking the bank or being too cheap to have something fun for everyone:)...

PS - Oh, and we wouldn't plan to get wet on this tour (no snorkeling, swimming, etc wanted)...

1. Yes, seven will fit in a taxi.

2. You don't have to book in advance. You can walk off the ship. Don't catch them in the regular taxi line. There is a seperate location, zone 3 for Blue Flag Island Tours.

3. The rate for 5-7 passengers is still $70 an hour.

4. You can see a lot in four hours. I would look at the threads here nad pick out places that might interest you, I personally prefer the east end, St. George's, ( World Heritage Site), Tuckers Town (rich and famous live there) , and Flatts Village for taxi tours. If you tell the driver what interests you they will tailor the tour toward your interests.

We are coming at the end of May. So you don't have to book a Blue Flag Taxi ahead of time? Will there be lots (we are coming over Memorial Day weekend.) My family (3 of us) are traveling with my Brother and sister in law. My brother and I used to live on Bermuda in the late 60's until the AF Base closed in 1970. We want to go back to that area and maybe see our old house. I can remember it, but he can't really. We also want to see Clearwater Beach (where I learned to swim), and then go over to St. George's, Fort St. Catherine, etc.

I'm just so scared there will not be enough Blue Flag Taxis!

Yes, you don't have to book a blue flag tour in advance, but if you don't you run at least some risk of a driver not being available at the time you want to take your tour, and you have no way to know the quality of driver you'll be getting.

We are coming at the end of May. So you don't have to book a Blue Flag Taxi ahead of time? Will there be lots (we are coming over Memorial Day weekend.) My family (3 of us) are traveling with my Brother and sister in law. My brother and I used to live on Bermuda in the late 60's until the AF Base closed in 1970. We want to go back to that area and maybe see our old house. I can remember it, but he can't really. We also want to see Clearwater Beach (where I learned to swim), and then go over to St. George's, Fort St. Catherine, etc.

I'm just so scared there will not be enough Blue Flag Taxis!

You don't have to book them in advance and there are plenty of Blue Flag drivers but there is no guarantee there will be one available if you just walk out to the taxi area. Then the dispatcher might have to call for one and there would be waiting time. I like to wing it and had good luck finding a Blue Flag taxi without booking ahead of time but If you know the time and day you want a tour I would recommend arranging the Blue Flag taxi in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
1. Yes, seven will fit in a taxi.

2. You don't have to book in advance. You can walk off the ship. Don't catch them in the regular taxi line. There is a seperate location, zone 3 for Blue Flag Island Tours.

3. The rate for 5-7 passengers is still $70 an hour.

4. You can see a lot in four hours. I would look at the threads here nad pick out places that might interest you, I personally prefer the east end, St. George's, ( World Heritage Site), Tuckers Town (rich and famous live there) , and Flatts Village for taxi tours. If you tell the driver what interests you they will tailor the tour toward your interests.

Thanks for responding - I had missed this board for a few weeks and just found your response - this will be very, very helpful!

You don't have to book them in advance and there are plenty of Blue Flag drivers but there is no guarantee there will be one available if you just walk out to the taxi area. Then the dispatcher might have to call for one and there would be waiting time. I like to wing it and had good luck finding a Blue Flag taxi without booking ahead of time but If you know the time and day you want a tour I would recommend arranging the Blue Flag taxi in advance.

Thanks for letting me know they will call for one...having been late to every port our last cruise, we didn't want to have to "pick" a time and then try to rush off the ship when everyone else is also running late, so it's good to know we don't have to if we're patient once off the ship!

• 2 months later...

How do you arrange for a blue flag taxi in advance?

How do you arrange for a blue flag taxi in advance?

I would scroll backwords thru the Bermuda Private thread you posted to earlier this morning. Also you can contact the Bermuda Taxi Dispatching companies.

There are three listed on the sign below.

7458d00df8393fce5fceccbd18e9a029.jpg

If you are arriving on a Saturday, book in advance. I just came back from a cruise there and we were in port on a Saturday. When we got off the boat there were no private taxis. We were told there was a shortage because many drivers on the island are Seventh Day Adventists and choose not to work that day. We waited over an hour for a taxi and then were only able to book him for 2 hours since he had a prior booking later in the day. I wish I had booked in advance but I came here and read the reviews and since everyone said there were plenty available, I didn't.