Hurtigruten - MS Roald Amundsen Antarctica 02/17/2019

prbusch

We are Phil & Randy from Flagler Beach, Florida USA. We booked this cruise about 6 months ago so I decided to see if anyone was here yet...I guess not so I guess I am the starter. I look forward to hearing from anyone that will be on this exciting cruise. We need as much info for this trip as we can get.

We are Phil & Randy from Flagler Beach, Florida USA. We booked this cruise about 6 months ago so I decided to see if anyone was here yet...I guess not so I guess I am the starter. I look forward to hearing from anyone that will be on this exciting cruise. We need as much info for this trip as we can get.

Here is a link to the Roll Calls for "other" cruise lines, which includes Hurtigruten.

If you want to discuss Hurtigruten topics not specific to your own cruise Roll Call, then this is the place :)

GC

• 10 months later...
9 minutes ago, soccergang said:

We are booked for a cruise to Greenland in August.   I am not able to find a roll call for Hurtigruten.  We will be on the same ship, the MS Roald Amundsen. So, at least I will be following you, to hear about the ship.

Hi,

Hurtigruten falls into one of the "OTHER" cruise lines that doesn't have it's own Roll Call sub-forum (organized by ship).

Here is a link to the "Roll Calls for Other Cruise Lines":

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/45-all-other-cruise-lines-roll-calls/

Look through the first few pages to see if anyone had already started one for your ship/sailing date.  And if not, then go ahead and start one :classic_smile:

We'll also be eager to hear about this new ship!

GC

On 11/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, hallasm said:

MS Roald Amundsen will start in service Maj 2019 - and will sail on Greenland August 2019.

Your definitive information providing a time frame for the Amundsen's sailing in May 2019 is interesting particularly since Hurtigruten has not been very informative since we are booked on this ship for the Sept 2019 Alaska itinerary.  Given the fact that it was supposed to sail in 2018 and having experienced three delayed sailings of the MS Spitsbergen in 2016 with little official information made available, we may be somewhat skeptical. 

Have a look at the stories on this website of what happened on Hurtigruten's attempt to transit the NW Passage on Fram during 2018.  The matter is now the subject of considerable litigation in Europe, Australia and N America.

Beware of potential deceit, and keep an eye on ice forecasts and the success of other cruise ships before you leave home.  Be aware of Hurtigruten's Terms and Conditions: a  "major change" to the itinerary before you leave home entitles you to the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.  During 2018, passengers were not informed of the "major change" until they were trapped on board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 8:04 AM, Trade Wind said:

Have a look at the stories on this website of what happened on Hurtigruten's attempt to transit the NW Passage on Fram during 2018.  The matter is now the subject of considerable litigation in Europe, Australia and N America.

Beware of potential deceit, and keep an eye on ice forecasts and the success of other cruise ships before you leave home.  Be aware of Hurtigruten's Terms and Conditions: a  "major change" to the itinerary before you leave home entitles you to the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund.  During 2018, passengers were not informed of the "major change" until they were trapped on board.

Having been passengers on the west-bound portion of this saga, I heartily concur with Trade Wind's cautionary comments. It is absolutely essential to do your own research as to whether other vessels have been able to transit the NW Passage prior to your scheduled sailing and to learn of current and predicted ice conditions in the area.  You cannot rely on Hurtigruten to keep you informed!