horseshoe bay questions

Cru1s1ng2009

I have only been to Bermuda once but we went to a beautiful beach with great waves. It was down a big hill.

Is this Horseshoe Bay?

I remember there was a guy with a van who charged 2 bucks for a ride up the hill.

I am taking my mom there this time and want to make sure there will be a ride down and a ride up.

How did most ppl get there? Anyone remember how much a taxi is?

I have only been to Bermuda once but we went to a beautiful beach with great waves. It was down a big hill.

Is this Horseshoe Bay?

I remember there was a guy with a van who charged 2 bucks for a ride up the hill.

I am taking my mom there this time and want to make sure there will be a ride down and a ride up.

How did most ppl get there? Anyone remember how much a taxi is?

You are describing Horseshoe Bay. You don’t say if your ship is docking at the Dockyard or Hamilton. From the Dockyard it is best to take the minibus shuttles which are $7 each way or a taxi if you don’t want to climb up the hill. As for the $2 rides up the hill, since the minibus service that operation has become inconsistent. On and off. The minibus is the best way in my opinion, followed by taxi.

You are describing Horseshoe Bay. You don’t say if your ship is docking at the Dockyard or Hamilton. From the Dockyard it is best to take the minibus shuttles which are $7 each way or a taxi if you don’t want to climb up the hill. As for the $2 rides up the hill, since the minibus service that operation has become inconsistent. On and off. The minibus is the best way in my opinion, followed by taxi.

Thanks so much Charles! Minibus it is!

dollar to the top! we used to toast to that after a great beach day.

Dollar to the top became $2 to the top a few years ago. The last couple of years it was not always available. I saw his van doing the Minibus shuttle two years ago instead of to the top....... but later some reported he was doing to the top again. Can't predict if he will be doing it this year. The Minibus shuttles which started a few years ago are better than the Public Bus for people only going to Horseshoe Bay and back. Don't need to the top with the Minibuses.

I know it went to $2 -- but it lost it's ring.

I prefer the minivans. As a NYer I prefer tourists stay off commuter trains and buses during rush and school travel hours and try to reciprocate. I do miss Hamilton where a cab was optimum and John Smiths Bay was an option.

I know it went to $2 -- but it lost it's ring.

I prefer the minivans. As a NYer I prefer tourists stay off commuter trains and buses during rush and school travel hours and try to reciprocate. I do miss Hamilton where a cab was optimum and John Smiths Bay was an option.

Staying off the public buses from the Dockyard is a good stance to take currently. There are many buses out of service for maintenance and many runs are canceled every day. During the morning peak hours they will often limit the number of tourists who can board a bus and make cruise passengers wait 20 minutes for the next bus. Otherwise the locals who need to get to work and school children wouldn’t have space on the bus as the Dockyard is the start of the #7 route.

I miss docking at St. George’s. I used to go to John Smiths Bay from there.

Staying off the public buses from the Dockyard is a good stance to take currently. There are many buses out of service for maintenance and many runs are canceled every day. During the morning peak hours they will often limit the number of tourists who can board a bus and make cruise passengers wait 20 minutes for the next bus. Otherwise the locals who need to get to work and school children wouldn’t have space on the bus as the Dockyard is the start of the #7 route.

I miss docking at St. George’s. I used to go to John Smiths Bay from there.

Oceania starts service to St George starting next year from New York.

Do you need a reservation for the MINIBUS to Horseshoe Bay Beach? How often to they run to/from Dockyards and how to you pay for them($ 7 each way pp, correct?) Where do you find them after getting off the ship? I could not do the hill from the public bus so that is why I am inquiring about MINIBUS. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Do you need a reservation for the MINIBUS to Horseshoe Bay Beach? How often to they run to/from Dockyards and how to you pay for them($ 7 each way pp, correct?) Where do you find them after getting off the ship? I could not do the hill from the public bus so that is why I am inquiring about MINIBUS. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

You don't need a reservation for the mini-bus. They run as they fill; there is no schedule. You would pay the fare as you board; in 2017, the fare was $7 each way. The mini-buses can be found in Zone 5 of the Transportation Zone; see map below.

enhance

SBtS

You don't need a reservation for the mini-bus. They run as they fill; there is no schedule. You would pay the fare as you board; in 2017, the fare was $7 each way. The mini-buses can be found in Zone 5 of the Transportation Zone; see map below.

enhance

SBtS

Are they those Toyota type buses that hold up to 15-20 people?

Are they those Toyota type buses that hold up to 15-20 people?

Some of them hold that many but most are passenger vans that are smaller than that. They are privately owned and are a variety of brands. First picture at the Dockyard. I rode in that smaller van. Second picture a Chevy I rode in back from Horseshoe Bay.

37201d7c22a4a0aaac9416c43720dd24.jpg

228df307e9d8cc4a4532f00f15a5c093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Charles4515. In the first picture I see "Beach Shuttle". Is that for larger groups? Thanks for all your info.

The minibuses in the picture are first come first serve. As soon one is filled up it heads for the beach. The other one is not waiting for large groups. But if you have a larger group than fits in the front one you could wait for the larger one. If I had taken the picture 15 minutes later it would have shown different minibuses. The larger one could be the front one then or have left. It is an accidental which minibuses were in my photo. The minibuses in that area, Zone 5 run back and forth all day to Horseshoe.

Are there long lines? Any wait time?

I originally thought about using a shore excursion(guarantees a seat) which also utilize minbuses until I heard the $7/each way pp fare(at least this year) on the public ones.

There are normally a number of minibuses waiting. The minibus drivers KNOW when the ships will arrive.

So little waiting. As soon as the first one fills up, they start filling the second one, and so on.

Are there long lines? Any wait time?

I originally thought about using a shore excursion(guarantees a seat) which also utilize minbuses until I heard the $7/each way pp fare(at least this year) on the public ones.

yah, isn't it like $32 or something crazy?

yah, isn't it like $32 or something crazy?

Something like that. Just wondering what is like to return to ship via public minibus and how that works. Do the minibuses wait till each one is full before returning. If so will make sure we leave early enough in case it would take awhile to fill so we would not miss ship.

Something like that. Just wondering what is like to return to ship via public minibus and how that works. Do the minibuses wait till each one is full before returning. If so will make sure we leave early enough in case it would take awhile to fill so we would not miss ship.

Each mini-bus is privately owned, not publicly own.

The min-bus will depart when it is nearly full. On the last day do not overstay your visit to the beach because there will be a mass exit by cruise ship passengers whose cruise ship is leaving, and they all will be seeking transportation back to the Dockyard.

SBtS

The min-bus will depart when it is nearly full. On the last day do not overstay your visit to the beach because there will be a mass exit by cruise ship passengers whose cruise ship is leaving, and they all will be seeking transportation back to the Dockyard.

SBtS

I have been leaving Horseshoe Bay at 1:00 on the last day which was a Friday for my sailings and it was no problem. No mass exit at that time. I don’t know about later. The minibuses were lined up and left almost immediately.

Going in the last day is also good because a lot of cruise passengers are afraid to go the last day and stay at the Dockyard so it is less crowded on Friday. Go early and leave at 1:00 and there really is no stress to Horseshoe on the last day.

I have been leaving Horseshoe Bay at 1:00 on the last day which was a Friday for my sailings and it was no problem. No mass exit at that time. I don’t know about later. The minibuses were lined up and left almost immediately.

Going in the last day is also good because a lot of cruise passengers are afraid to go the last day and stay at the Dockyard so it is less crowded on Friday. Go early and leave at 1:00 and there really is no stress to Horseshoe on the last day.

We're only there for the day 8-5 on a Sunday in mid May so not sure who would go or not but if we got there by 930a, 3 1/2hrs would probably be enough and leave at 1pm? Also depends on whether 1 or 2 ships are there. What do you think?

We're only there for the day 8-5 on a Sunday in mid May so not sure who would go or not but if we got there by 930a, 3 1/2hrs would probably be enough and leave at 1pm? Also depends on whether 1 or 2 ships are there. What do you think?

My ship left at 4 so you could leave at 2 or 2:30. It doesn’t matter how many ships. I have been there myself from 8 -5 , one day stop on a Sunday and went to Horseshoe because the stores in Hamilton are closed on Sunday and the ferry does not run to St.George's on Sunday. That limits the options. Have you ever been to Bermuda? If it is your first time, besides the beach, Sunday would be a good day to do a tour.