Fronter Excursions vs Chilkoot Charters in Skagway

Texansonboard

What a dilemma I now face.....had planned Chilkoot and now I find out about Frontier!

The tours I am considering are Frontier's "Yukon Discovery" at $99pp versus Chilkoot's "Yukon Rail & Bus" at $190pp. Both seem to have same itinerary including lunch.

Can anyone provide a quick difference (pro/cons) between the two? Need to book one today so needing help quick!

Thanks!!

I don’t know which is better, but the Frontier website had a code for 15% discount. I booked 2 of us for the Yukon Discovery Tour for a total of $192.36 including tax.

They have great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Code is 777DISCOUNT.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you book the dog cart ride when you get there or do you have to book in advance?

We booked ahead of time, but were on the same tour as some that did not book the dog cart. Those that did not book the dog cart could watch or spend extra time eating, visiting the small museum or just walking the grounds. It is possible you could add the dog cart once you get to the facility, but there were a lot of people from other tour companies there as well. You can ask Chilkoot about it, but if you really want to do it, I would probably book ahead, in case they are fully booked when you arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

Research what is included in dog cart portion. I was told it was a 15 minute session, with other people in cart too. Once everyone is on board, the cart goes....loading/ride together being 15 minutes...and on a dirt track.

Research what is included in dog cart portion. I was told it was a 15 minute session, with other people in cart too. Once everyone is on board, the cart goes....loading/ride together being 15 minutes...and on a dirt track.

That is exactly what our dog cart ride was. We knew what to expect and that it was not on sled on snow or private. We enjoyed it and it was worth it to us, but may not be for everyone.

We did the bus / train combo to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot and loved it. We added to dog cart ride at Caribou Crossing and enjoyed it as well. I

Please can you tell me which tour you did to get to Emerald Lake, was it Private tour or from your ship?

Please can you tell me which tour you did to get to Emerald Lake, was it Private tour or from your ship?

We used Chilkoot Tours and took the Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion with Dog Cart Experience. I believe you can do the tour without the dog cart ride. We took the bus first and train back and it worked out well for us.