Viking Sea - West Indies Explorer Feb 15 - 25

Jack_WillOH

Hello,

We just returned from the West Indies Explorer cruise on Viking Sea. It was our first ocean cruise so there were plenty of firsts for us, most all of them enjoyable.

I will just post a brief summary of the trip before real life takes over again and I forget the details of the trip. Later I will post a more detailed review if there is interest. So onto the summary:

Ship: very nice, clean and comfortable, uncrowded, very well maintained

Food: knowing how subjective this can be, I will be brief. We thought that the food was excellent in all venues. Even the buffet was very good, which is not an easy feat to pull off.

Crew: professional, friendly, could not do enough for you

Excursions: didn’t go on any of the included tours, a few of the optional ones, well managed, sound logistics

Getting on and off: piece of cake. I had a lot of anxiety about these and it was all for nothing. Ten minutes max each way.

I did talk to others on the cruise to share notes and their impressions were pretty similar to mine.

Overall, very happy we took the cruise.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. I realize that there isn’t a lot of detail here, but I wanted to get my thoughts down quickly.

Jack

Jack, Thanks for your timely, informative and brief review. We will be on the Sea once again for this WIE Cruise Mar 17th for our 4th Viking adventure and once more in Sept with Viking Ocean Eastern Seaboard Cruise. Your review pretty much matches our experience with the Viking product.

Welcome to cruising.

I will be on the Viking Sea in four weeks. So looking forward to this ship and my sailing.

Good to know the crew is great.

What was your favorite food?

Did you use the spa? If yes, what did you like?

Thank you for your review.

Azulann,

Did not use the spa treatments offered for sale but did take advantage of the sauna, plunge pools, whirlpools and snow room. Did the whole Nordic bathing routine, very interesting and exhilarating.

Favorite foods were the steaks, salads were very fresh, but do not miss the success cake at Mamsens, or the gelato. Terrific!

Jack

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise! Thanks for the review. We are really looking forward to ours.

I do have some questions if you don’t mind. TIA

Did you have the same itinerary we will have with St Croix as the first port, followed by St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Maarten and ending with St Thomas?

I understand that there is a dinner where they serve lobster. I want to make sure that’s not the night we are eating at Manfredi’s [emoji16]

Did you do an excursion in St Kitts? We are booked on the St Kitts train. It doesn’t end until 5:00pm, but the ship is scheduled to leave at 4:30pm. [emoji33]. I have pointed this out to Viking and they keep telling me they will get back to me. Can you at least tell me what time you left St Kitts? Did you wait for people on excursions?

I’m sure I’ll have more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Cyber Kat,

Yes, the itinerary is exactly the same. Also FYI, you had voiced many of the same concerns we had so here’s some info that I hope you find worthwhile.

1. SJU - the airport is fine, no issues getting in and out.

2. El Convento - we stayed there based on your recommendation. Again, all fine, in fact we got upgraded to the Vanderbilt suite - very nice surprise

3. San Juan, at least in the port area and Old San Juan seems to have recovered fully.

4. We did the St Kitts Railway, very worthwhile. But our excursion was in the morning so I can’t speak to issues with returning to the ship. However, if it’s the Viking arranged railway excursion it’s Viking’s responsibility to get you back on time so I wouldn’t worry.

5. St. Maarten is showing the most damage. The port side area is pretty well cleaned up but we heard from friends that went on the included tour of the island that the devastation is very widespread. A real shame.

Otherwise, the weather was sunny and warm, such a welcome relief from our Northern Ohio winter.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jack

Jack, was on the ship for the same cruise and concur with your thoughts on our first experience with Viking. I really couldn't believe how east embarkation and dis-embarkation were compared to P & O who I previously thought were great.

A few other observations from me:

Shower in the stateroom was fantastic, as good as the one at home.

Spa - loved it and my wife loved the treatments and she had a few of them!

Gym - well equipped and enough equipment for everybody when I was in there.

We both drink and thought that the silver drinks package was an excellent deal.

Pool on deck 7, was too hot for us and it was disappointing that the roof was not retracted although it was quite windy on a number of the days.

Happy to answer any further questions. St.Thomas also showed a lot of damage from the hurricanes.

Jack, was on the ship for the same cruise and concur with your thoughts on our first experience with Viking. I really couldn't believe how east embarkation and dis-embarkation were compared to P & O who I previously thought were great.

A few other observations from me:

Shower in the stateroom was fantastic, as good as the one at home.

Spa - loved it and my wife loved the treatments and she had a few of them!

Gym - well equipped and enough equipment for everybody when I was in there.

We both drink and thought that the silver drinks package was an excellent deal.

Pool on deck 7, was too hot for us and it was disappointing that the roof was not retracted although it was quite windy on a number of the days.

Happy to answer any further questions. St.Thomas also showed a lot of damage from the hurricanes.

We were on the cruise before yours. I concur with your comments on the pool deck, which was a big disappointment. The roof top was closed most of the time, if a few drops of rain came down the roof was closed for hours. I couldn’t stand the intense heat and lack of ventilation. I beIieve there is a major design flaw in play with the pool deck. Not to mention uncomfortable uncushioned loungers. We were also disappointed in the aft pool and sun deck, no shade of any kind.

Viking needs to rethink their exterior spaces, which is of great importance to many.

So on a 11 day cruise in the Caribbean, how many days was the pool roof retracted ? Was it open when in port, or at night while cruising? I can undersantd if it is raining or very windy, but really it is a pool deck and should be open in the tropics!

Can they close it a little or do they have to have the whole roof rolled out.

And there is no ventilation when closed? I am puzzled.

I am going on the TA in March and have 6 sea days in a row, I hope to use the pool deck every day.

So on a 11 day cruise in the Caribbean, how many days was the pool roof retracted ? Was it open when in port, or at night while cruising? I can undersantd if it is raining or very windy, but really it is a pool deck and should be open in the tropics!

Can they close it a little or do they have to have the whole roof rolled out.

And there is no ventilation when closed? I am puzzled.

I am going on the TA in March and have 6 sea days in a row, I hope to use the pool deck every day.

I was on the Viking Sea earlier this month. I didn’t really take note of the pool roof every time I walked through that area, but I’d say it was partway open (just 10-20%) on most days…until rain clouds loomed, then it was promptly closed. The roof was half open one day which made it tolerable to be in that area. It was nice in there that afternoon. I think it was completely open part of one day, also. But generally it is just too warm for me under all that glass. I think there is very little air movement when it is more than half way closed.

I too was disappointed that the aft pool area and deck 8 had no covered areas with loungers. The padded loungers along the side of the pool deck (7) are just too enclosed for me.

Azulann, I do not remember the roof being fully retracted on any day of our cruise. We did have some light rain and it was windy as I stated but there were times when I thought the roof could have been at least part retracted.

To be honest I didn't get a great deal of thought to coverage on deck 8, there are some chairs which are under cover but no recliners as far as I remember.

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise! Thanks for the review. We are really looking forward to ours.

I do have some questions if you don’t mind. TIA

Did you have the same itinerary we will have with St Croix as the first port, followed by St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Maarten and ending with St Thomas?

I understand that there is a dinner where they serve lobster. I want to make sure that’s not the night we are eating at Manfredi’s [emoji16]

Did you do an excursion in St Kitts? We are booked on the St Kitts train. It doesn’t end until 5:00pm, but the ship is scheduled to leave at 4:30pm. [emoji33]. I have pointed this out to Viking and they keep telling me they will get back to me. Can you at least tell me what time you left St Kitts? Did you wait for people on excursions?

I’m sure I’ll have more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took that same train excursion and you’re in for a good time. If the excursion is run by and for Viking passengers the ship will wait for you ! Don’t worry be happy, you will have a good time .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely agree about the pool deck area being oppressively warm. The roof was only opened one third of the way at times and as another poster commented, just a passing grey cloud and it was promptly closed. We even asked to have it opened and they did, so I encourage you to do so. It is a real shame because the space is very nice but it’s just too dang hot to be enjoyed. Major design flaw with the air circulation there.

I have no idea what the logic was for opening the roof or even how far to open it. Does anyone know if the same holds true on Viking’s later ships? That the pool deck is so warm or did they fix the ventilation problem?

Jack

I completely agree about the pool deck area being oppressively warm. The roof was only opened one third of the way at times and as another poster commented, just a passing grey cloud and it was promptly closed. We even asked to have it opened and they did, so I encourage you to do so. It is a real shame because the space is very nice but it’s just too dang hot to be enjoyed. Major design flaw with the air circulation there.

I have no idea what the logic was for opening the roof or even how far to open it. Does anyone know if the same holds true on Viking’s later ships? That the pool deck is so warm or did they fix the ventilation problem?

Jack

Several times I asked that the roof deck be opened. I was told only the bridge people can decide. The roof was not opened.

I documented the pool heat question in mid cruise comments, no one responded and nothing changed.

I was very disappointed in Vikings outdoor and pool spaces. We were not the only ones complaining about this issue.

Several times I asked that the roof deck be opened. I was told only the bridge people can decide. The roof was not opened.

I documented the pool heat question in mid cruise comments, no one responded and nothing changed.

I was very disappointed in Vikings outdoor and pool spaces. We were not the only ones complaining about this issue.

You have two other pools that you can use . If the temps are too high you can always go to the others. I do agree that the temps are high in that area but if they tried to keep it air conditioned the other areas will become warm and that includes your cabin !

I am use to the solarium poolarea on the Celebrity ships. They are enclosed but never felt hot .

What is the reason beyond rain or the temp is cold or in very windy weather? If one is in the tropics, the pool deck should be open .

I also read on the web site about sitting on the pool deck under the stars at night. I wlll be on a TA with six sea days in a row. I hope that the pool deck roof is open more than it is closed. Has anyone sat around the pool at night with the open sky above them ? Or do they mean sitting by the ifinity pool or the deck above the pool?

Thanks for all your responses

I will ask at the the M&M for one of the staff to explain when and why.

You have two other pools that you can use . If the temps are too high you can always go to the others. I do agree that the temps are high in that area but if they tried to keep it air conditioned the other areas will become warm and that includes your cabin !

The aft pool is full sun and uncomfortable seating.

Not sure what the third pool is, the spa pool? No fresh air there.

I like a lot about Viking but the pool deck issue is troubling. I just went in and read old reviews and the heat, lack of ventilation is mentioned in a few reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

We were going to book for the Caribbean cruise in February next year.

However, this issue with the pool deck is a DEAL BREAKER for us.

The whole point of a Caribbean cruise for us is to enjoy the open air on a shaded lounger on the pool deck.

The infinity pool at the stern is not an option as apparently there is no shade.

It sounds like keeping the roof closed is a mandate from HQ, and the staff at the pool are not empowered to meet the requests of passengers.

What a pity.

Everything else about Viking Ocean seems so good.:(

We were going to book for the Caribbean cruise in February next year.

However, this issue with the pool deck is a DEAL BREAKER for us.

The whole point of a Caribbean cruise for us is to enjoy the open air on a shaded lounger on the pool deck.

The infinity pool at the stern is not an option as apparently there is no shade.

It sounds like keeping the roof closed is a mandate from HQ, and the staff at the pool are not empowered to meet the requests of passengers.

What a pity.

Everything else about Viking Ocean seems so good.:(

I voiced my concern about the pool deck on the end of cruise survey. Also mentioned it on the questionnaire we received a few days into the cruise.

No other complaints.

We've been on the West Indies Explorer Mar 17th Viking Sea for 3 days now. (San Juan and St. Croix and the pool roof has not been closed with wonderful weather. Could be your deal breaker in Feb though. I'll keep you posted for the rest of this cruise. GREAT weather. :cool:;p

We've been on the West Indies Explorer Mar 17th Viking Sea for 3 days now. (San Juan and St. Croix and the pool roof has not been closed with wonderful weather. Could be your deal breaker in Feb though. I'll keep you posted for the rest of this cruise. GREAT weather. :cool:;p

Thanks for the live update. Looks like your weather will hold all week and even next week!:)