Richard Spacey

morourke

Which celebrity ship is Richard Spacey cruise director on?

Richard served as Cruise Director aboard Equinox through last 9 December; that morning, he "signed off" for home leave and I haven't read/don't know that he has returned yet... My recall is that, at the time, he was uncertain as to whether he would be returning to Equinox or might instead be assigned to another ship...

I keep seeing Richard Spacey's name mentioned as a favorite CD on this forum. What makes him so popular? I realize the answers will be subjective but I'm just curious. Possibly he'll be our CD on our upcoming B2B cruise on the Equinox and we'll find out firsthand.

I keep seeing Richard Spacey's name mentioned as a favorite CD on this forum. What makes him so popular? I realize the answers will be subjective but I'm just curious. Possibly he'll be our CD on our upcoming B2B cruise on the Equinox and we'll find out firsthand.

I had him previously on a cruise and found him very annoying but there are others to really like him. He was very showy and energetic but didn't really want to chat if you found him in public spaces. He kept saying "I love you" which was kinda creepy to me but like I said, others really seem to like him. He is very energetic.

He is polarizing. He is definitely not our cup of tea. Not only does he end every morning PA broadcast with "oh, and one more thing, I love you" but he also signed off on the Crew Emergency Drill exercise the same way! I thought to myself, "I wonder what the officers think about that...."

Richard Spacey is not your average everyday cruise director. He is an absolute scream. To call him a just a CD is IMHO selling him short. He is part of the entertainment. Google Richard Spacey cruise director and check out some of his videos on you tube. They are hilarious.

We do like a CD who is energetic, wild and crazy, fun, personable with a great sense of humor and acts as if s/he really likes doing their job. I appreciate the comments. Thank you.

That pretty much describes him. He is very visible with the passengers and quite energetic. He was at our Connections party last July on Equinox. We've also cruised with him a couple of times on different ships previously with RCI. CD's are not a big factor with us and cruising but he is one that you will remember.

Sailed Equinox twice last year. Compared to the uninspiring John Grantham Rich was a breath of fresh air. A bit manic but really got the crowd going.

Now, see, we loved John Grantham! His World’s Hardest Music Trivia games was great fun, he also jammed with the party band and gave an interesting talk on his career as a stunt man.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also read about this guy and how "wonderful" he was; and we happened to be on his last Equinox cruise sailing on 12/2. However we felt the entertainment on this particular voyage was pretty bad - but I'm really not sure how much of this is the responsibility of the CD.

The times we saw him "perform", we thought he was going thru the motions, putting in the absolute minimum and downright corny and pathetic.

We were told by concierge staff that he was pretty much AWOL on some of the recent Equinox cruises.

We left this cruise unhappy, for a variety of reasons, with the poor entertainment onboard. We paid full price for an engaged CD, we did not get that.

I'm clearly missing something because I simply do not get all the hype about ANY cruise director, much less Mr. Spacey. Are there really that many cruisers out there dependent upon a single person to ensure that a good time is had when they cruise? I've seen him show off his silly socks before and I guess it's sorta cute, but I've never looked to a cruise director on any ship that I've ever sailed to ensure that my days and nights were adequately filled with entertainment. So, it's an honest question.. What do CD's actually do, behind the scenes, that is?

I was recently on two cruises- one right after the other, on two different Celebrity ships. My first cruise was with Richard Spacey on the Equinox. The second was on the Silhouette with Chris Sweets. I honestly had never been a big fan of Spacey and was not excited to see his name down as cruise director. It was very interesting to see how the personalities of the CD affected the quality of entertainment. Richard Spacey was excellent! His enthusiasm was contagious and the theme nights were much more fun than the ones on the Silhouette. I still was not impressed with his “I love you” routine, but would look forward to sailing with him again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That pretty much describes him. He is very visible with the passengers and quite energetic. He was at our Connections party last July on Equinox. We've also cruised with him a couple of times on different ships previously with RCI. CD's are not a big factor with us and cruising but he is one that you will remember.

Agree. We do enjoy a CD that has an infectious sense of humor and goes all out. I thought I had heard his name thrown around on the RCI Forum before but wasn't 100% sure.Thanks for the memory jog.

I'm clearly missing something because I simply do not get all the hype about ANY cruise director, much less Mr. Spacey. Are there really that many cruisers out there dependent upon a single person to ensure that a good time is had when they cruise? I've seen him show off his silly socks before and I guess it's sorta cute, but I've never looked to a cruise director on any ship that I've ever sailed to ensure that my days and nights were adequately filled with entertainment. So, it's an honest question.. What do CD's actually do, behind the scenes, that is?

I’ve been on several cruises with Richard Spacey and he is absolutely the best CD at sea, so much energy and fun, keeps you laughing constantly. Having said that, Sue Denning is a close second, she is absolutely marvalous, especially if she puts on one of her performances.

A good cruise director can make a world of difference for your experience, go on a few cruise and you’ll see what I mean.

I’ve been on several cruises with Richard Spacey and he is absolutely the best CD at sea, so much energy and fun, keeps you laughing constantly. Having said that, Sue Denning is a close second, she is absolutely marvalous, especially if she puts on one of her performances.

A good cruise director can make a world of difference for your experience, go on a few cruise and you’ll see what I mean.

Now I'm really intrigued. I am definitely going to go out of my way to pay attention to our CD on Equinox at the end of March. It happens to be Spacey. And to your point, the DH and I have cruised every March and every November and sometimes a few in between for the last 12 years. In all that time, it's never occurred to me to pay attention to who the CD was on the ship. I'm looking forward to really exploring this...

Different people are attracted to different types of Cruise Directors. Some like entertainers. Some like CDs who interact with passengers. Some like CDs who tell jokes, some do not. That why some people might love a particular CD while others are highly critical.

We prefer to cruise with a CD who actually talks to passengers rather than one who is obsessed with socks.

Most CD have a public image and a “shtick”.

We loved Groaners golden suits, and flashy shoes on some. We dislike invisible ones and ones who say they love us but don’t show the love.

We all have our likes and dislikes but we are not fans of the spaceman.

Alejandro is a standout especially when dealing with children on board. Sue is disliked by some but she seems to be everywhere.

Others are low key but take the time to mingle with passengers.... and then there are the invisible ones who are noticed only by their absence.