How does tendering work on Oceania

bapaleg

hi, this is our first time on Oceania. This may be a stupid question but we have 4 tender ports on our cruise. If we don’t take a ships excursion will we have to wait until they all leave before we can tender into port? What if we have a private trip and need to get off at a certain time, do they give out tickets like some other cruise lines. Thanks

We have gotten there early and waited over an hour to be allowed on a tender as independents. Frustrating!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Our recent Bora Bora anchorage,took passengers at least 2 hours to get on the island who were not on an Oceania tour. Easter Island was 3-4 hours.There are many factors involved.

There are many factors involved.

This is true, but one of the biggest ones is people that casually stroll in whenever it's convenient and expect to get a ticket right away.

If you want on an early tender you need to be there early, before they start. You also need to have everyone in your group there, none of this getting 6 tickets for those still eating or getting ready. They give out the number of tickets for the people that walk up to the table, not how many one person asks for.

If you really need to get off early, be there early.

For most ports (and there are exceptions, especially when seas are rough) if you go down to the Lounge early (1/2hour to an hour ahead of time) to get your tender tickets, you will get off early. Most independent tours were mixed in with the Oceania tours.

Be sure to tell your Tour Company that Oceania may delay you in the tender process.....they are no stranger to this process! They will wait for you.

Thanks to all the reply’s, but what happens if your tour is for seven and you can’t get on a tender to meet the guide. Will they leave or should we book a tour thru Oceania just to get off early.

On the RTW last year, I don't think there was any instance where "early" independent groups were not interspersed with O Tours (even in minimal numbers) -- at least not that I heard. Friends who had sailed on Oceania on other itineraries had told us the key was to get in line early. I requested everyone in my groups (6-15) to meet at an appropriate spot (usually Barristas), 30 minutes before scheduled arrival and we went to the Insignia Lounge together. We got in line together or one person got in line and the rest of us sat as a group so that Destinations Services could see that everyone was present and accounted for. I imagine that the closer it gets to O group meeting times and departures, the longer the wait might be. YMMV of course, but this is what our experience was.

Tour operators understand how tendering work. So, they will wait for you, but they do ask you to make an effort to get on an early tender. By the way, when tendering I try not to book a "shared tour" specifically so others who are not part of my tour are not inconvenienced by any delays on our end.

I'll also share how I handled a larger group (in case others have a similar situation). This one required advance coordination with Destinations Services (proof that we were indeed booked on a tour). This did not change the fact that we still had to get to the lounge early and wait our turn to receive our tender tickets.

I organized a private tour in Komodo for over 30 people. I instructed everyone to show up at least 20 minutes early ... most were there 30 minutes beforehand. I did this to not only collect the tour cost from each participant so I could pay the tour operator but also to ensure our group was ready by the time the Destinations people began to hand out tickets. We gathered as a group in one spot since everyone understood the requirement to be present in order for a ticket to be given. My husband waited in line for the tickets. When his turn came, he pointed to where the group was waiting. Destinations Services counted out the tickets and gave them to him. He then handed each person a ticket. We were then released to go to the tender platform ... ahead of the O tours. Key is to be well organized and provide clear instructions to all of the participants on meeting time and place. I also made a point of meeting each person/couple who signed up on my tour in advance socially ... even if it was just to say hello. Did it make a difference? I don't know, but it didn't hurt.

On the RTW last year, I don't think there was any instance where "early" independent groups were not interspersed with O Tours (even in minimal numbers) -- at least not that I heard. Friends who had sailed on Oceania on other itineraries had told us the key was to get in line early. I requested everyone in my groups (6-15) to meet at an appropriate spot (usually Barristas), 30 minutes before scheduled arrival and we went to the Insignia Lounge together. We got in line together or one person got in line and the rest of us sat as a group so that Destinations Services could see that everyone was present and accounted for. I imagine that the closer it gets to O group meeting times and departures, the longer the wait might be. YMMV of course, but this is what our experience was.

Tour operators understand how tendering work. So, they will wait for you, but they do ask you to make an effort to get on an early tender.

I'll also share how I handled a larger group (in case others have a similar situation). This one required advance coordination with Destinations Services (proof that we were indeed booked on a tour). This did not change the fact that we still had to get to the lounge early and wait our turn to receive our tender tickets.

I organized a private tour in Komodo for over 30 people. I instructed everyone to show up at least 20 minutes early ... most were there 30 minutes beforehand. I did this to not only collect the tour cost from each participant so I could pay the tour operator but also to ensure our group was ready by the time the Destinations people began to hand out tickets. We gathered as a group in one spot since everyone understood the requirement to be present in order for a ticket to be given. My husband waited in line for the tickets. When his turn came, he pointed to where the group was waiting. Destinations Services counted out the tickets and gave them to him. He then handed each person a ticket. We were then released to go to the tender platform ... ahead of the O tours. Key is to be well organized and provide clear instructions to all of the participants on meeting time and place. I also made a point of meeting each person/couple who signed up on my tour in advance socially ... even if it was just to say hello. Did it make a difference? I don't know, but it didn't hurt.

Thank you for the very helpful advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but would appreciate general experiences please.

On an overnight stop using tenders, would it be reasonable to plan on one or two tenders being run early on that second morning.

Basically asking if early rising independents should have a reasonable chance of getting ashore before or with the ship's early excursions ?

Thanks.