Viking AirPlus question

Elizabetho55

You can usually have the flights ticketed provided that the cruise has been paid for in full. We paid the balance early for that very reason and then asked for the fights to be ticketed which was done almost stright away.

We paid for Viking AirPlus in order to choose our flights and I thought, get ticketed early. MVJ shows our flights but they aren’t ticketed so we can’t choose our seats. Is this normal? I thought we would be ticketed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i'm assuming they've reserved you on the flights you wanted? That's what they typically do. And then wait until about 70 days out to cut the tickets. Their rationale is that if they cut the tickets too far in advance, the airline might change that flight to something else - different flight number, different routing, etc. So they wait. I've been thru this with them before. And made myself a beastly pest too, impatient with them. Anyway, I would advise that you call the Viking Air Plus folks directly. And ask them to not only put a hold on your reservation but also your seat assignments (tell them what you want). Of course, if you plan to upgrade your seats thru the airline directly, your seat assignments are immaterial. Then it's a matter of getting them to actually cut the ticket early enough for you to get the upgraded seats you want. They'll give you a lecture about how once the ticket is cut, the cost for any changes must be borne by you. Whereas if you let them cut the ticket by their schedule, they assume the cost for any flight changes.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you all for the great responses. We are paying the balance so that we can be ticketed and then can choose seats. It makes sense that they want you to pay in full. If they ticket the air and then you cancel they are likely stuck paying the cancellation fee. We just want to be able to decent seats. Hopefully, we can still do that as the trip is getting close. Then I just need to keep checking to make sure the airline doesn't change our seats without notifying us!

If you don't ticket early, when do they do normally do seat assignments? I admit, I've been through this twice with Viking before and it's worked out OK. I didn't do the early ticketing but I did get OK seat assignments.

If you don't ticket early, when do they do normally do seat assignments? I admit, I've been through this twice with Viking before and it's worked out OK. I didn't do the early ticketing but I did get OK seat assignments.

What I've read is 75 days out. I just took care of our flights and seats last Monday for our France's Finest in early July. I wanted to get ahead of them.

Same here. Our seats were requested and assigned when we chose the flights; we did not have to wait for them to be ticketed. One time we had to pay for choosing them in advance but that was because we were flying on Lufthansa and that is their policy.

Same here. Our seats were requested and assigned when we chose the flights; we did not have to wait for them to be ticketed. One time we had to pay for choosing them in advance but that was because we were flying on Lufthansa and that is their policy.

Flying Lufthansa wasn't the reason why you paid anything. It was the itinerary you chose with Lufthansa. When I was booking our flights for France's Finest last Monday, i was not able to get my first choice United itinerary unless I paid a few hundred dollars extra each. The issue was the non-stop flight back from Paris. Was informed they preferred connecting flights. So we hunted thru other possibilities with United that they could do and that didn't incur a substantial extra cost. After a fruitless search, she then asked wouldn't I prefer straight Lufthansa which could be done for no extra cost at all? But I balked at a 6am flight from Paris via Frankfurt to Dulles. While checking my United app, I asked what about the 9:20 am flight? (All the Luftshansa flights were code shared with United but on Luftshansa aircraft). The Viking agent confirmed this was doable and for less than $180 total extra. So that's what I chose and abandoned paying extra for plus seating, which on Luftshansa is on a 3 tier flat fee payment system for long haul flights starting at 200 euro. So - to repeat - what causes the extra cost is a combination of airline and itinerary and what tickets Viking has in their "bucket" of flights.

My phone call with Viking Air Plus took about an hour all told including choosing our seats and general friendly chatting.