Fairbanks?

RU_Gremlin

Good evening!

I see advice for almost every other city near the top of the board, how about Fairbanks? I'm on a cruise tour to Alaska in late June, and will have 3 days, 2 nights in Fairbanks (getting there around 5 PM, the next day a large portion of the day is on the Riverboat Discovery through Princess, and then most of the 3rd day before an 8 PM flight).

Where are the best places to eat?

What are some things that are "must do"s or at least good ways to kill time in Fairbanks?

Is there any advice in general?

Thanks!

Rent a car. Fairbanks is hard to get around in without one. Go to the Museum of the North on the UAF campus, the Morris Thompson Native Center, and Pioneer Park. China Pump House and Pikes are the fancy places to eat. Otherwise, Turtle Club or the brewery in Fox, Big Daddy’s BBQ, and definitely breakfast at Sams Sourdough. There are at least 10 Thai restaurants, all good. There are some good Alaskan bars, with the Howling Dog an institution (if it’s open this summer) or Skinny Dick’s.

Hmmm, late June...do you like golf? Tee off in the late evening. The Midnight Sun Festival is June 24th this year. June 21, the Goldpanners baseball game begins at 10 pm. You are probably missing these things by a week, but perhaps they will help someone else.

All of the things that Wolfie listed are excellent choices. I love Fairbanks in the summer time.

We were told by a Fairbanks native that it was the Thai restaurant mecca. Ha Ha So we tracked down their highest rated spot online and had lunch there. Bahn Thai right downtown. A nice place to eat and the food was excellent.

If you're feeling extra adventurous you might consider a drive up the Dalton Highway - Ice Road Trucker territory. We devoted an entire day for just that and it turned out to be our favorite day in a two week Alaskan road trip. Some think it's a huge waste of time but we thought it was fantastic. The remoteness is interesting. Just past the Yukon River crossing a few miles is the Hot Spot Cafe where we had an awesome lunch - the ladies who run the place are a hoot. There is no cellphone service after about 10-15 miles north of Fairbanks. The road (to *US*) wasn't nearly as treacherous as things we had read - we live in rural Oklahoma and have worse country roads here than we saw there...but we did have perfect weather our Dalton day. We decided there's probably a lot of people headed that way who have never seen a gravel road before. If you're interested check with Arctic Outfitters for a rental car specificially equipped for the Dalton - two spare tires, large tool box, first aid kit and a CB radio if you need help from a trucker.

Fairbanks is a nice city. Good luck!

Edited by SuperCrewBear

My vote goes to the Dalton Highway trip the previous poster mentioned. You can also get a day trip in a van that takes you up the Dalton as far as the Arctic Circle. We once did a multi-day trip up to Deadhorse, and that's one of the best things we've ever done.

It really is difficult to recommend ideas for a Fairbanks visit without knowing your interests. I would suggest checking the Fairbanks Visitor and Convention Bureau website (http://www.explorefairbanks.com) for a comprehensive list of ideas.

Our local newspaper, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, also publishes a good visitor guide. The 2018 FDNM guide hasn't been published yet but the 2017 edition is on their website (http://www.newsminer.com) under "Special Sections." I believe the FDNM limits the number of non-subscriber visits to their website, so just download it.

There are a variety of restaurants in Fairbanks and the surrounding area. But again, it would be helpful to know what you would be interested in. In my opinion, the best upscale restaurant in the area is Wolf Run which changed owners several years ago and has been remodeled. We also like Lavelles downtown. And there is no "China" Pumphouse" but the Chena Pumphouse is on the Chena River; we are there frequently as we live on Chena Ridge, but I find that it is becoming rather "iffy."

Fairbanks is rather dispersed and spread-out. But if you will be staying at one of the Fountainhead Development properties (and I think I have read that Princess does periodically use them) you may find that their trolley route will take you where you want to go.

It really is difficult to recommend ideas for a Fairbanks visit without knowing your interests. I would suggest checking the Fairbanks Visitor and Convention Bureau website (www.explorefairbanks.com) for a comprehensive list of ideas.

Northern,

If I was narrowing our interests to the top 4... Science, sports, good food, good beer (for me, I'd add history, but my wife would only enjoy that in moderation).

Since it's the last two nights of our honeymoon, I'd say food-wise, at least one night pub-ish (or say 2 $$ on most restaurant review sites) and maybe going upscale for our last night away. Breakfast will be very early one morning, and maybe a little late one morning (closer to "brunch" time).

If I was narrowing our interests to the top 4... Science, sports, good food, good beer (for me, I'd add history, but my wife would only enjoy that in moderation).

For those with an interest in science a consideration is the Museum of the North on the University of Alaska (http://www.uaf.edu/museum). Consider their movies, which are an additional fee beyond admission. Also they offer Behind the Scenes Tours into the ranges; their website should have contact information.

Also on the UAF campus, and located close to the Museum of the North is the Geophysical Institute (http://www.gi.alaska.edu) which does some tours of their facility. Check that website for information.

The GI also operates the Poker Flats Research Range (http://www.pfrr.alaska.edu), but I am not aware that they operate public tours on a regular basis.

On the topic of beer, my husband likes both HooDoo and Silver Gulch beers, both of which are brewed in Fairbanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The car museum is actually kind of cool. I was not excited about going it but it was really neat.

Plus there is a very easy hike around the lake right next door. I have some great pictures and memories from around that lake. Mosquitoes the size of freaking helicopters though, so be prepared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk