Holland America Line Premieres 'Planet Earth II in Concert'

DFWGUYZ

Holland America Line Premieres 'Planet Earth II in Concert' Featuring Breathtaking Footage and Live Music in Partnership with BBC Earth

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-premieres-planet-earth-ii-in-concert-featuring-breathtaking-footage-and-live-music-in-partnership-with-bbc-earth-300612447.html

Edited by DFWGUYZ
correct URL

We really enjoyed the BBC Frozen Planet concert - the photography was amazing, but the music was so loud it really distracted from the images on the screen. Hopefully the sound engineers will ensure the music is at a level where all can enjoy the performance.

We look forward to the new Planet Earth II in Concert.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm glad to see this. There was a news story tonight about a BBC project filming in the ocean, and I said to DH that it was time for HAL to come up with a new BBC Earth program. We've seen the frozen one twice, and while it was good, twice was enough--we passed on it this last time, partly because we'd seen it twice and partly because K'dam's showroom is so small it's difficult to get seats unless you camp out early.

I am not a fan of overly loud music (keeps me away from BB King, alas), and I did not find either presentation of "frozen" to be too loud. I hope Ger_77's experience was the exception, not the norm.

We have mixed emotions, having been on a HAL cruise where they spent two nights (not one) where the main show was a documentary accompanied by the ship's band (the usual 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, and a drummer). While many other lines would have a live show (either production or Guest Entertainer) HAL is making do with documentaries and their own orchestra (which means they do not play dance music in another venue). Yes, the movie is probably darn good, but it is just a movie. It is a very cagey way to cut-back on live entertainment and make it seem like something special.

Just keep in mind that HAL has also cut-back on music so that there is no longer an extra band (they used to have some decent Filipino bands that would play contemporary music. On some ships the ship "pick up" band is the only live lounge entertainment (other then a piano bar on some ships) and when that band has to work in the show room (even if its playing for a movie) there is no substitute band to play in a lounge.

Hank

We really enjoyed the BBC Frozen Planet concert - the photography was amazing, but the music was so loud it really distracted from the images on the screen. Hopefully the sound engineers will ensure the music is at a level where all can enjoy the performance.

We look forward to the new Planet Earth II in Concert.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We really enjoyed the Frozen Planet Live concert. It was one of the highlights of my recent cruise on the Zuiderdam. I would love to see more of those types of events on board.

I am extremely sensitive to loud music and didn't find it too loud at all. Perhaps the sounds engineers on your cruise were having trouble.

I'm a big fan of the HAL/BBC relationship. I enjoyed "Frozen Planet" and I'm looking forward to the new show on the Kdam later this month. I'm sure it is tough for the sound technician to mix the live (and amplified) musicians with the recorded tracks to blend the sound properly. That is the reason the total sound level might be a bit too loud for some guests.

The BBC does produce films with extraordinary photography, But ....

as noted earlier in the thread,

They are just movies, replacing live entertainment.

They seem to be shown on every ship, every sailing - which means Mariners are likely to see duplicates.

They take away the musicians from entertaining in other venues.

And the "live music" is a gimmick: since it is a tiny band, and heard though (over amplified) speakers anyhow. Why not just have a truly fine full symphony orchestra record the 'special score' to be played along. After all, if you watch one of the BBC productions on DVD, the soundtrack is not two electronic keyboards, electronic bass and guitar, piano, drums, and one violin.

P.S. HAL is also using Trivia produced by the BBC - slide shows with scripted questions. (Un)fortunately, there are apparently only four versions - for every ship, every sailing - with gives Mariners with good memories a shot at all right answers the second time around.

I agree that a spectacular, incredibly professionally produced and recorded score might be much better!

I did get a glimpse of this on a very recent cruise ship tour... It did look amazing with the images... And, that day on the Koningsdam, there seemed to be quite a few musicians playing.

We have been on several cruises where they showed this and it was just once per week.

July on Amsterdam: the program was only shown once. I missed it to being at dinner with great table mates and dinner ran long.

I do wish the CD would schedule it more than once during a cruise or, maybe, even at different times of the day.