CocoCay Changes Coming

As released by Royal Caribbean Press:

New Global Private Island Collection Debuts at CocoCay, Bahamas in 2019

A cruise vacation is much more than the ship itself. In one of the company’s most ambitious projects yet, Royal Caribbean is changing what it means to thrill and chill on vacation with the unveiling of its new Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of unrivaled and exclusive private island destinations around the world.

The first in the collection, Perfect Day at CocoCay, is a $200 million transformation of the cruise line’s existing private island in The Bahamas that will deliver the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.

Highlights include:

• Thrill Waterpark, featuring two brag-worthy water towers with 13 slides – the most slides found in any waterpark in the Caribbean – will include the 135-foot-tall Daredevil’s Peak, the tallest waterslide in North America. In addition, the waterpark will feature the Caribbean’s largest wave pool and a kid-friendly obstacle course pool.
  • Oasis Lagoon, the Caribbean’s largest freshwater pool, with a swim-up bar and in-pool loungers.
  • A 1,600-foot zip line that crisscrosses the island at up to 50 feet high and features the only water landing in the Caribbean.
  • A helium balloon, dubbed Up, Up and Away, floats up to 450 feet above the ground providing for the highest vantage point in The Bahamas.
  • Two specially designed beaches – Chill Island for the ultimate beach escape, complete with pristine, crystal-clear tropical waters and white powder-like sand – and plentiful cabanas and daybeds for relaxation; and the action-packed South Beach with volleyball, beachside basketball, soccer, paddle boarding, glass-bottom kayaking and zorbing in an inflatable zorb ball.
  • The exclusive Coco Beach Club, will offer an upscale island experience that will feature the first overwater cabanas in The Bahamas.

Royal Caribbean ships departing from the U.S. states of New York, Maryland and Florida will call at Perfect Day at CocoCay, providing guests with vacation adventures like no other in the Caribbean. The island transformation will roll out in phases beginning September 2018 with the completion of a new pier, and by spring 2019 the majority of the island’s experiences will be open. Coco Beach Club, the final phase, is set to open November 2019. Additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and the Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

“It’s true that our ships are technological and engineering marvels in their own right and offer a multitude of unexpected experiences; but our destinations are an equally important part of the cruise vacation,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “We are introducing the Perfect Day Island Collection to deliver the most memorable vacation for adventure seekers on land and on board our ships. Once completed Perfect Day at CocoCay will be the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean.”

low_1520894112_RCI-CocoCay-HeroOverview2.jpg

low_1521048791_RCI-CocoCay-CGI29-GalleonShip-RET.jpg

low_1520895459_RCI-CocoCay-BalloonView.jpg

low_1520894093_RCI-CocoCay-OverWaterCabana1.jpg

low_1520894099_RCI-CocoCay-CaptainJack-RET.jpg

low_1520894118_RCI-CocoCay-FamilyWaterFeatures.jpg

Press Release by Royal Caribbean with more information and photos

Edited by CruiserMiami
Add more info.

Wow! That is a lot of changes. Looks like catering more towards kids with all the water park things. I find it odd having a water park on an island or is it just me? Any ideas of completion dates?

Just found the dates in another post. By 2019 it says with the pier open by this fall.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2611806

Edited by Iowa_Vike
add date.

Wow! That is a lot of changes. Looks like catering more towards kids with all the water park things. I find it odd having a water park on an island or is it just me? Any ideas of completion dates?

Just found the dates in another post. By 2019 it says with the pier open by this fall.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2611806

It'll be done in stages with the final stage being completed in November 2019

They need to add a hotel to stay at. And the ability to change ships if you stay at the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe this was part of the original rumors; with everything announced today it seems very likely those options will follow.

The article that I read says that most things will be completed by the spring of 2019, with the private club to be completed by the fall of 2019.

I’m having mixed feelings about this. For me, the private island experience is more about relaxing in relatively quiet surroundings, but this looks more like a day at a crowded Disney or Universal Studios water park. From what I’m reading, if you want to relax in a more secluded part of the island, you will now need to pay a fee to access these areas. And pretty much all rides and activities being built will also come with a fee. [emoji848]

I’m looking at the photos and I’m thinking crowded Disney or Universal Studios water theme park.

The article that I read says that most things will be completed by the spring of 2019, with the private club to be completed by the fall of 2019.

I’m having mixed feelings about this. For me, the private island experience is more about relaxing in relatively quiet surroundings, but this looks more like a day at a crowded Disney or Universal Studios water park. From what I’m reading, if you want to relax in a more secluded part of the island, you will now need to pay a fee to access these areas. And pretty much all rides and activities being built will also come with a fee. [emoji848]

So now you know why rccl is doing it!

They know how to make money

I’m wondering how much of this will be an additional fee, and how will crowds be handled?!

According to what I’ve read, anything that looks either fun or exclusive will come with an extra fee.

They still have several beach areas with nothing but chairs in the videos. RCCL is a company that has to change and evolve with the times. I know that for some it’s a hard pill to swollow.

The ships going there will be a lot bigger than in the past with the Oasis class, such as the Symphony, they have to provide more entertainment. As for the Disney reference, they too are changing their private Island as is NCL.

From my memory of the size of the island these renderings seem a little too small.

One thing for sure is that they are turning the island into a revenue producing venue. I am sure that you will still be able to enjoy the island without using all of the extra cost items but the opportunities will sure be there.

They still have several beach areas with nothing but chairs in the videos. RCCL is a company that has to change and evolve with the times. I know that for some it’s a hard pill to swollow.

The ships going there will be a lot bigger than in the past with the Oasis class, such as the Symphony, they have to provide more entertainment. As for the Disney reference, they too are changing their private Island as is NCL.

I agree.

I look forward to these changes and enjoying them when we visit CocoCay on the Symphony, I just hope the additional fees aren't too high!

This transformation should give cruisers more options to choose the experience they desire; there are many options from thrilling water parks, to resort like freshwater pools, to the relaxing beaches of "Chill Island," and the exclusive upscale escape "Coco Beach Club."

Nothing in the Bahamas is ready on time. Ever. So if these upgrades are important for end of 2019 for you, just be hopeful but also don't be surprised if not ready.

I'm not a big water park guy but kids will love it. Is it going to be included with the stop, or additional charge?

I also really look forward to more news about the Perfect Day Island Collection, how it will change Labadee and what other new private destinations we will see.

"Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of unrivaled private island destinations around the world. The first in the collection is Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas but additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and Caribbean will be announced at a later date."