Uber to Cruise Port

CruiseGal999

How often to people take Uber or Lyft to the cruise port? I will be in Los Angeles a couple of days before my cruise. It looks like Uber will be VERY affordable to go from hotel to Getty. And Hotel to Port. BUT when I went to download the app, it said IF/WHEN I download the app, Uber will have COMPLETE access to my phone?!? Is that right or am I reading it wrong? Thanks.

Complete access? No. That is a bit over dramatic.

They will use your GPS features to determine where you are...many programs do that, and don't contol your phone. This helps them serve you, find you, and determine a fare and the closest car. And they may call you, text you, or communicate via the app. You will be able to follow your GPS to see the route the driver is taking.

Nothing more than that.

Complete access? No. That is a bit over dramatic.

They will use your GPS features to determine where you are...many programs do that, and don't contol your phone. This helps them serve you, find you, and determine a fare and the closest car. And they may call you, text you, or communicate via the app. You will be able to follow your GPS to see the route the driver is taking.

Nothing more than that.

This is taken directly from the apps details.

This app has access to:

Identity

• find accounts on the device
  • add or remove accounts
  • read your own contact card

Contacts

• find accounts on the device
  • read your contacts

• approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)

SMS

• read your text messages (SMS or MMS)
  • receive text messages (SMS)
  • send SMS messages

Phone

• directly call phone numbers
  • read phone status and identity

Photos/Media/Files

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

• read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Camera

• take pictures and videos

Wi-Fi connection information

• view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

• read phone status and identity

Other

• receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • full network access
  • change your audio settings
  • draw over other apps
  • use accounts on the device
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • modify system settings
  • read Google service configuration

We began using Uber last year. It is easy to use and now we will use it in lieu of a taxi.

Just study the app ahead of time.

I am sure you can go to YouTube and search for a video on how to use the App.

Keith

Thank you. I'm not concerned with how to use the app, but what the app can 'do' to/on my phone. Some of those things in bold/blue are what the app can do to/on my phone. That bothers me .... but there are millions (?)of people using this app right now.

I'm just hoping to use them safely in L.A. because it's way cheaper than a taxi to the Getty Museum and maybe the to the port.

Thank you. I'm not concerned with how to use the app, but what the app can 'do' to/on my phone. Some of those things in bold/blue are what the app can do to/on my phone. That bothers me .... but there are millions (?)of people using this app right now.

I'm just hoping to use them safely in L.A. because it's way cheaper than a taxi to the Getty Museum and maybe the to the port.

You are very welcome.

We have had terrific success using it so I am not concerned.

I find the drivers to be much better and the vehicles nicer then taxis.

Have a great time.

Keith

Is Lyft any different?

I did look at them also. Their 'details' on their app said basically the same thing as Uber. And Uber has HORRIBLE reviews and HORRIBLE rating with BBB ... I have time to think about it. Just wanted to get people's experiences with them. Thank you, tho.

I’ve used Uber for several years and never had an issue (that I know of) with the app being on my iPhone. If you do have an iPhone, go into Location Services in Settings and make sure the app gets your location Only When Using the App.

If this is your first time riding with Uber, there are promo codes available giving you a $15 discount on your first ride. You can get these from any existing user and they get entered in Payments, same place you add your credit card. When you use the code both people get a discount.

Anyone can use my code: 6y3g9

Have fun,

Neal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're concerned about an app accessing info on your phone, then you shouldn't have a smart phone. Nearly every app has that disclaimer.

I've used Uber hundreds of times, and have never had an issue. Down in Florida, I would recommend Uber pool. You will share a ride with a stranger. It only adds like 5-10 minutes to your trip, and you save quite a bit of money. There is no better, faster, and cheaper way to get from A to B.

You don’t have the option to shut off that access? I have an iPhone so maybe it’s different, and I won’t use Uber for ethics reasons but I checked my Lyft apps accesses and it has:

Siri & Search: Suggestions On (I can turn off) and Use with Siri Off (I can turn on)

Notifications: On, Badges and Alerts On (I can fully customize)

Background App Refresh: On (I can turn off)

Cellular Data: On (I can turn off)

No mention of accessing contacts or the other commonly requested items (camera and photos). Does anyone with an iPhone have the Uber settings to compare? I refuse to download it myself but I know there are others that use it.

Seems to me, that it is mor e trouble and worry using Uber to the port than it is worth. we have used taxis for years and no issue doing so.

I see no advantage to giving up my use of taxi to Uber, to save a dollar or two, maybe, or maybe not even?

I have found that Uber/Lyft to be more expensive than taxis.

They are convenient.

That's interesting. Not doubting that you've found that wherever you went but I have never found that to be true nor have I ever heard of that before. Typically Uber is much cheaper, sometimes as much as half as cheap as a taxi.

That's interesting. Not doubting that you've found that wherever you went but I have never found that to be true nor have I ever heard of that before. Typically Uber is much cheaper, sometimes as much as half as cheap as a taxi.

One not-so-small issue regards anyone who belongs to or otherwise supports "union labor." Taxi drivers in many large cities (e.g., San Francisco) are unionized.

Please think twice before using non-union transportation like Uber or Lyft.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems to me, that it is mor e trouble and worry using Uber to the port than it is worth. we have used taxis for years and no issue doing so.

I see no advantage to giving up my use of taxi to Uber, to save a dollar or two, maybe, or maybe not even?

Well, to the port it would be about a $20 savings. But to the Getty Museum it would be a $45 savings EACH way. Uber = $12 - $15 before tip each way. Taxi $60 w/tip each way.

I knew that Lyft was cheaper than cabs in my suburb but I had no idea how much cheaper. A taxi one way to the airport from my house is a whopping $68 plus tip. An airport shuttle is $34 for the first passenger and $15 for a second in a shared van that will carry up to seven passengers. A private Lyft car is $30 plus tip. Not only is it cheaper it’s far more convenient. Back when we took cabs the dispatch time was minimum 30 minutes because we are so far outside the city limits. With Lyft we’ve never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride, and unlike cabs the cars have always been clean.

I think in bigger cities where taxis are more plentiful it’s probably less of an issue but out here in the sticks the advent of ridesharing services has been amazing.

We used Uber four times in late November in FLL. Very happy with it but they were a little confused and went past our hotel so keep a watch when you get close and tell them where to turn. Took an additional 10 minutes to get to hotel because he missed the driveway. The one picking us up after the cruise drove in circles and missed the entrance. We could see her on the map going in circles. Then she did not turn when the police officer told her to and instead went down to 17th Street on the way to the airport. Not sure if she was taking the longer route to add a little extra $$$$. But they were much better than the taxi drivers.

Compozer, that is funny. "We could see her going around in circles." We used one for our family of four and she took off when I had one foot in the car and one still on the ground getting in the car. She also had a car that was oversold. It was not the size we requested and in very bad shape. Unfortunately we had to leave a bad review.