Allure Balcony vs. JS- Upgrade or No?

Before everyone says, "This has already been answered..." I have searched the forums for hours and still have this question. Promise I did the work before I started a new thread. ;)

We are booked on the Allure for December. We have only done ocean view on smaller ships, but booked balcony for our first time on this class for our 10th anniversary trip. We were offered an upgrade to JS yesterday for $500. Is it worth it? We plan to get a drink package, as well. I do like the idea of the larger balcony with lounge chairs and an overall larger room, but I have no experience with this big of a boat and roomers that are nicer than interior on tiny ships. :p

I appreciate the help!

I would probably do it for $500. Especially since it's your anniversary. That's pretty far in advance for them to be offering upsells. Have never heard of that. Maybe they need your specific cabin for some reason??

Before everyone says, "This has already been answered..." I have searched the forums for hours and still have this question. Promise I did the work before I started a new thread. ;)

We are booked on the Allure for December. We have only done ocean view on smaller ships, but booked balcony for our first time on this class for our 10th anniversary trip. We were offered an upgrade to JS yesterday for $500. Is it worth it? We plan to get a drink package, as well. I do like the idea of the larger balcony with lounge chairs and an overall larger room, but I have no experience with this big of a boat and roomers that are nicer than interior on tiny ships. :p

I appreciate the help!

What category balcony are you booked in? Central Park, Boardwalk or Ocean View? I would probably take it for $500 total but not per person. One date I looked at the JS was almost $1,000 more pp than an ocean view balcony.

I am so new to this stuff that I didn't even know upsell was a thing. That is why I said "upgrade." :p

In your initial post when you said "we were offered an upgrade" that is RCI speak for an upsell - they usually call you (closer to sailing). It was not obvious you went to your TA and asked for it.

I would...

The JS is usually about 2x size with kitchenette. Only if you feel you need the xtra space. I would find out actual room number offered and compare it to your balcony location.

500 is not bad upgrade. Keep in mind if you do, will pay twice in gratuities.

I didn't overly notice a huge amount of perks to go with the junior suite. Dining in the coastal kitchen just doesn't seem like it would be worth all that - especially if you want to do any of the other specialty dining anyway. The cabin size looks nice though. For my sailing in October the JS is $1000 more than the Boardwalk Balcony. Not sure though that I would book it at half that price.

There is no "kitchenette" in a JS. There is a larger bathroom, room and a walk-in closet. Gratuities are the same as for your balcony cabin, not higher. For $500 total I would do it, as, yes, the balcony cabins are pretty small on that class ship. We always cruise in a JS now after trying larger suites and many balconies.

The JS is usually about 2x size with kitchenette.

Keep in mind if you do, will pay twice in gratuities.

2x size w/Kitchenette? Where? - you might be thinking of a GS.

Twice the grats? I don't think so - same $14.50/pp grats. Even real suite grats are only $3 more.

There is no "kitchenette" in a JS. There is a larger bathroom, room and a walk-in closet. Gratuities are the same as for your balcony cabin, not higher. For $500 total I would do it, as, yes, the balcony cabins are pretty small on that class ship. We always cruise in a JS now after trying larger suites and many balconies.

The balcony is key for us. We plan to sit out there a lot. Thanks!!!

If it were any other ship other than the Oasis class I would. I’m a huge balcony lover and normally spend a good amount of time on it . However on the Allure there is so much great stuff to do your never in the cabin or balcony very long. This is just my opinion

I also don't know if all the JS balconies are that much bigger....I know the ones on the center of the hump are, but the others I'm not sure. I would also check (I know it's for the future now) to make sure it's not connecting. A lot of the JSs are. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it does bother some.

Next time I think everyone needs to know the exact date of the sailng and ship and the category you booked and what you paid. Then we all can advise you better when someone offers you a upgrade to a different category cabin to decide if it was worth it or not.

To many unknowns when you first asked the question. Every week is different when it comes to prices.

Jimbo:)