Lanai doors left open

SetAnOpenCourse

Last week on a western Caribbean cruise on the Rotterdam, on my many, lengthy afternoons walks on the promenade, each time I observed doors to lanai cabins left open. It caught my attention because my walks are 45 minutes, and the doors to at least a few cabins would be open the entire time. I know it must be nice to do this, but isn't it a waste of electricity? Or can thermostats be adjusted a certain way so that the air conditioning isn't grievously wasted?

You are right and those doors certainly should not b left open and there are notes on the doors saying so. Seems to be another case of people who think the rule is for everyone else but not for them..... Thye don't care if they upset the a/c for other cabins on their same line. Selfish, inconsiderate, irresponsible people.

Plus, anyone could walk through that open door at any time and who know what that might lead to.

Yes -- the air conditioning in the cabins can be adjusted so that they don't blow cold air but they can't be turned off by the passenger. So it is still running and using power.

Why don't you stop by the front desk and mention to them that on your 45 minute walks you have noticed that there are a few lanai doors being left open for extended periods of time.

On a much earlier Rotterdam cruise we noticed how creative lanai passengers got trying to force their doors open. They used waste baskets, beer cans and coat-hangers.

Hope chengkp76 can tell us more about what happens when lanai doors are forced open, and why HAL markets lanai cabins with photos showing the doors wide open and the happy cabin passengers lounging at the deck railing. Did they put in a different HACV system when they converted these former OV cabins to open door lanais?

Bad move to leave a lanai or a veranda door open! The A/C of many near-by guests can be negatively affected. I suspect that the Engineering Department may be able to detect such, at least at times. On the Prinsendam, my traveling companion left our veranda door open one afternoon when I was out of the stateroom. She was visited by a crew member and told to close the door! Which, of course, she did.

We've seen this a lot and agree with the above posters' take on this. I wonder how people want others to be looking into their private cabins. Messy bed, cloths all over, half eaten food on plates. Ugh: sight pollution! I learned fast not to let my eyes wander from the beaten path.

On a much earlier Rotterdam cruise we noticed how creative lanai passengers got trying to force their doors open. They used waste baskets, beer cans and coat-hangers.

Hope chengkp76 can tell us more about what happens when lanai doors are forced open, and why HAL markets lanai cabins with photos showing the doors wide open and the happy cabin passengers lounging at the deck railing. Did they put in a different HACV system when they converted these former OV cabins to open door lanais?

Frankly, having never sailed HAL, I have no idea what a lanai cabin is, but I just googled it (balcony cabin with "shared" balcony). There is no difference in the AC system from any other balcony cabin. When the lanai door is open, the recirculation fan and cooler are turned off, but the fresh air supply cooled air is not, and so you get the same air imbalance with a lanai cabin as with a balcony cabin.

Why does HAL market this showing an open door? Because the ad agency has no clue as to the infrastructure of a ship. It's sexy, it sells.

Bad move to leave a lanai or a veranda door open! The A/C of many near-by guests can be negatively affected. I suspect that the Engineering Department may be able to detect such, at least at times. On the Prinsendam, my traveling companion left our veranda door open one afternoon when I was out of the stateroom. She was visited by a crew member and told to close the door! Which, of course, she did.

If a number of complaints about hot cabins comes in for a restricted area of the ship, the Refrigeration Engineers will go to that area, and if they hear wind whistling under a cabin door, they know the balcony door is open.

We've seen this a lot and agree with the above posters' take on this. I wonder how people want others to be looking into their private cabins. Messy bed, cloths all over, half eaten food on plates. Ugh: sight pollution! I learned fast not to let my eyes wander from the beaten path.

Are you speaking of YOUR cabin?

We might do well to remember that the vast majority of our fellow cruisers have never heard of CC and may be totally unaware that they are doing something wrong.

there is a note ON the doors instructing they are not to be left open.

No excuse to not 'know 'they are to keep the door to the deck closed.

Frankly, having never sailed HAL, I have no idea what a lanai cabin is, but I just googled it (balcony cabin with "shared" balcony). There is no difference in the AC system from any other balcony cabin. When the lanai door is open, the recirculation fan and cooler are turned off, but the fresh air supply cooled air is not, and so you get the same air imbalance with a lanai cabin as with a balcony cabin.

Why does HAL market this showing an open door? Because the ad agency has no clue as to the infrastructure of a ship. It's sexy, it sells.

On HAL, a lanai cabin is on the Promenade deck. There are doors that open onto the promenade area ..... quite a large shared balcony! There are loungers there that are supposed to be used only by the occupants of the cabin.

We might do well to remember that the vast majority of our fellow cruisers have never heard of CC and may be totally unaware that they are doing something wrong.

There is a sign on the balcony door in verandah cabins asking these doors to be kept closed. It is not strongly worded enough nor prominent enough according to my tastes, but the cabin occupant is on notice. I don't know what signs were placed when the OV cabins were converted to lanai cabins.

Note to chengkp75: former ocean view cabins on the 360 promenade deck had outside doors cut into them and sliding glass doors installed, along with an interior rearrangement of furnishings and storage units. They are now "smaller" due to this installation of this second door, which was previously a wall.

Lanai cabin reservations also include two dedicated deck loungers on the 360 deck, located next to the new sliding doors. This made the 360 promenade open deck space now this quasi-balcony for the lanai cabins. Some love these cabins and they can sell out fast; others find them too small and too public. One-way glass provides daytime privacy but curtains must be closed at night when the inside lights are on and anyone passing by can look inside these sliding glass doors.

Other concerns are morning noise when the deck stewards clean the decks and rearrange the deck loungers. Even more problematic is when other passengers take over the reserved lanai deck chairs, since they have no uniform markings or reservation warnings. Due to the pros and cons of this conversion, it appears HAL only added this feature to a limited number of their older ships.

Hmmm the note on not to keep the doors open is an interesting one. I have seen that note on all the verandah cabins all the way up to NS and PS.

We should remember that Lanai cabins are not verandahs, they are basically OV's with a door that opens to the promenade deck.

I have viewed the Lanai cabins several times and didn't see a note there. (Not saying it wasn't there. Just didn't see it). The window/door pretty much is the entire width of the cabin in the ones I saw and no note on those doors.

But, it's pretty hard to keep the doors open on the ones I have seen ;). Some people must be going to huge extremes to keep them open.

amazing since their rooms are available to anyone.

We’ve had a Lanai cabin once on Maasdam in the Caribbean, and on Veendam twice to Bermuda. Once from NYC, 2nd time from Boston. We’re booked in one again in May for our 50th anniversary! 🤩

One would be hard pressed to hold that door open unless bringing a broom handle aboard in the luggage. Like we do at home in sliders to discourage burglers! LOL!

Actually, we live in a Del Webb age restricted community so don’t have to worry about that stuff...that was an attempt at humor. 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See above: we have seen them use beer cans, waste baskets and coat hangers to force the lanai doors open.

On the Rotterdam in 2016, some room stewards supplied cut off lengths of broom handles to cabin occupants to keep the doors open.

On the Rotterdam in 2016, some room stewards supplied cut off lengths of broom handles to cabin occupants to keep the doors open.

That’s so strange...when passengers are discouraged from leaving doors open to the outside. Personally, I wouldn’t want to fiddle with those doors. They’re very heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already written about this before, and will not bore you with my opinion, but let me just say that there are plenty of possibilities duting the design of the airconditioning system of cruise vessels to make each cabin completely independant, using shut-off valves and air mix valves connected to the main duct.

The problem is always cost.

The only other issue is however fire-safety related as the system is designed to give a slight differential pressure between cabin and hallway. (Smoke). But for that, there are also solutions.

One more thing...on Vista Class vessels, in a very humid environment (think SE Asia or Central America), the humid air can actually spur errorous fire detector alarms to the Navigational Bridge...

I have already written about this before, and will not bore you with my opinion, but let me just say that there are plenty of possibilities duting the design of the airconditioning system of cruise vessels to make each cabin completely independant, using shut-off valves and air mix valves connected to the main duct.

The problem is always cost.

The only other issue is however fire-safety related as the system is designed to give a slight differential pressure between cabin and hallway. (Smoke). But for that, there are also solutions.

One more thing...on Vista Class vessels, in a very humid environment (think SE Asia or Central America), the humid air can actually spur errorous fire detector alarms to the Navigational Bridge...

Never disputed that there weren't ways to isolate cabin AC from others, just that there aren't any in use. As you say, it is not only the massive upfront cost to provide re-balancing of the entire zone each time a balcony/lanai door is opened or closed, but there is the maintenance cost for the life of the vessel as well. It is always a cost to reward balance; if the reward was there (increased revenue), then they could justify the additional cost to change the system.

This AC modifications should have been part of the lanai conversion.

igraf

Never disputed that there weren't ways to isolate cabin AC from others, just that there aren't any in use. As you say, it is not only the massive upfront cost to provide re-balancing of the entire zone each time a balcony/lanai door is opened or closed, but there is the maintenance cost for the life of the vessel as well. It is always a cost to reward balance; if the reward was there (increased revenue), then they could justify the additional cost to change the system.

This AC modifications should have been part of the lanai conversion.

igraf

I assume that there was a modification made to turn off the cabin AC when the door was open, but again, just like for regular balconies, the cost to isolate the cabin completely from the fresh air supply AC far outweighs any potential benefit to HAL.