Seaside and Yacht Club Review, March 3 - 10, 2018 - Part 1

ken_ll

(First of all, I was attempting to load pictures to the text, but I gave up, even using third party software.)

We arrived in Miami Friday afternoon after re-routing ourselves from Ottawa through Chicago instead of Newark (evening flight) as the first of the 3 nor'easters did affect the east coast. Having grown up in the east coast of Canada, the nor'easters generally dump lots of heavy snow after picking up moisture over the Atlantic. Many folks did miss the ship and I did talk to others who used ingenuity to get to Miami, I'll reference two situations later.

I should add that we already had 2 cruises booked on the Seaside for March, 2019, one week in an SJ3 Aurea Suite with whirlpool and the next week in the same YC interior that we had on this cruise, cabin 18031. We have sailed on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Costa in order of frequency and once each on RCCL, MSC and HA. While the balcony is preferred, we have had interiors to suites, with and without butlers. To me, butlers are overhead.

We stayed at the Intercontinental, a good location near the water fronting on Bayside Park and Market. The taxi from the airport came in at $28.00 on the meter.

Embarking - Saturday morning was bright and sunny, The Miami Humane Society had a dog walk starting from Bayside Park with lots of dogs. We could see the Seaside and just before noon, we took a taxi to Terminal F at the port. I knew I had to watch for a tent for the Yacht Club check-in. My idea of a tent and that used differs.

Taxi dropped us off with the luggage handlers for MSC. I mentioned YC and was directed to the "tent" about 150 feet or 26 seconds away. The tent is actually 2 sun shades under cover to the left of the Terminal F entrance. Although we had our luggage tags attached, the luggage handler attached his tags ($$) as well.

Milling about for awhile, we were taken in a group of 8 by a butler (holding high the YC paddle) to go through security and then taken to a lounge on the second floor of the terminal. Here we got ships card and YC wrist-band which I carried in my pocket, I hate things around my wrist. Here one could have a snack, water or wine. From here we went to the ship, from luggage check-in to boarding the ship took 15 minutes.

Once on the ship, we were routed past the chocolate bar to Deck 16 and the Concierge Desk. Here we were provided with basic details and from my understanding we could make reservations for the shows as well booking our pre-paid spa services. Whether you could or not, it did not happen. The guy serving us was not going to do this for us, he suggested we do it ourselves on the screens and in person at the spa. We had 2 minutes of his time and there was nothing he was going to do for us. Laziness or "that is not my job" came to mind. Off we went to our cabin, dropped off our bags and then to lunch where the reception was different and what we expected.

Luigi, the maitre'd directed us to a window seat on the port side of the YC dining room. Our servers were Andrei and Lyndon (named after L.B. Johnson), we received a warm reception and great service to the point, all dinners and breakfasts and most lunches were with these guys. Water is placed at your table, still for DW and sparkling for me. For lunch, I had a steak and overall, we were impressed with the food and service from the start.

We went to one of the electronic screens to make our theatre reservations for the next 7 days. At the spa, DW made her 3 bookings and one for me. At the beginning of the cruise, most times are wide open.

Dining - All meals were taken in the YC dining room with 2 exceptions,one lunch in the buffet on 8th and once in the Butcher's Cut. Dining room meals were all good with one exception that was a chicken dish on Day 2. Although an entree, it was appetizer size and the chicken tough or overcooked - could not eat, had a steak as a replacement. The steaks,lasagna and lobster were great. I would liked to have had a doggy bag of lasagna to bring home. We had butter, and various butter type spreads at different times. We did have the same table every evening at 5:45 pm, that replicates dinner time at home. No line up and servers had limited guests at that time. By 7:00 pm, the restaurant would be 60% or so full. We were out by 7:15 every night for our 8:15 pm theatre show.

Some of the food items were different and expected in their presentation, tried them once and picked something different the next time. e.g., the shrimp cocktail was on the warm side with a sauce I liken to "Thousand Islands" dressing. The French Onion soup lacked the ton of baked cheese which I am used to. It was good otherwise, but had something different next time. The one thing is that there is a lot of choice.

Wine was readily available with sufficient choice. This was always served by the waiters. There was a sommelier who circulated and she was good at meeting our wants and suggested wines. She brought different wines for us to try.

Breakfast was breakfast. I asked for smoked kippers, none on menu and none available. Bacon was served the way DW likes it, crisp and never to move again, but not the way I like it.

Butcher's Cut - We went there for lunch, did not want to waste a dinner, the menu is the same for both meals. This was another good meal,restaurant was quiet at lunch, there was no need to hurry. This was the Black Card freebie meal. DW had the goat cheese appetizer (an additional $5) and rack of lamb. I had the shrimp cocktail - six large shrimps on a bed of crushed ice, along with the same "Thousand Islands" type dressing and some other sauce. The shrimps were big and cold - enjoyable. Cheesecake for dessert. All was excellent.

Our server here previously worked on the Costa Cruise line and we mentioned we were on the Costa Atlantica 14 years earlier and if he knew of the two waiters we had then, two of the best over the years. Sure enough, he had a picture of Erwin, one of the two waiters. That Costa cruise was our second cruise and our best cruise to date.

A disappointment here was that there was no baked potato on the menu,settled for baked squash, it was good.

Marketplace Buffet on 16th - We tried going there a number of times but whenever we got there, it was never open. I did recall that for lunch, it did not open until 12:30 pm, about an hour too late IMO.

Buffet on 8th floor - We went there for lunch and at the time in our immediate sitting area, there were 8 of us from the YC. I had read about how horrible the food was. I had salmon, chicken, penne, two slices of pizza and I had to try the automatic beer dispensers, 7 oz. of beer for $3 each. The drink package included this. The food was quite good.

I did see the hamburgers, I think there is just too many sitting on the hot tables for pickup. Instead of 40 - 50 hamburgers sitting there,it would be more presentable to have 10 or so sitting there, at least it would give the impression of turnover. In our many trips in and out of the buffet, never did see anyone pick up a burger.

Outdoor Grill on 19th at YC - Only ate here once at lunch, had some grilled shrimp, an appetizer for lunch in the dining room. One of the times I looked at the grill, there was rack of lamb as well as a roast of lamb as well as an assortment of other grilled items. Dining there for lunch did not appeal to me as the shaded chairs were generally occupied on one side at lunch time and we did not want to eat in the smoke in the emptier smoking shaded area.

YC Pool/Deck - This area is great for the sun worshiper, it is not crowded. What it is lacking is an adequate area for loungers in shade. Before someone jumps on me, I do recall about 6 lounger in shade as long as the ship was going in the right direction for shade. There was shade on both the port and starboard sides with tables and chair for eating. We generally ended up in area next door where there were sofas under the shade next to the bar. We are shade people and generally do not use the pools. I did go into the "hot tub", but I think this is a misnomer, should be called a lukewarm tub, nowhere near being hot.

The Theatre - As I recall, the theatre seats 993 people and there are approximately 5,100 people on the ship. With 3 shows, at least 47% would not see a show on any particular evening. This was one level seating without any obstructions. The shows were all good, beautiful costumes. One in particular "Fly" was a show that the children loved, a lot of antics. One show had the Michael Jackson routine in it. A number of singer had obvious voice training and were a treat to listen to. There is no orchestra on the ship for the shows. This one thing that defines a ship and sets it apart from its' competitors. I enjoy live music, especially an orchestra.

The theatre has a non-resolvable planning error in my mind. The whole thing of making reservations, card checking to go in and those near or at the front of line (there are 4 of them) results in something I liken to "the running of the bulls" or Black Friday at a Walmart at 4:00 am when the door open. It is bedlam. Perhaps the card checking slows the bedlam down a bit.

Gangplanks/gangways - There is where I wish I had my pictures. There were 4 gangways on port days. In the YC, we used the forward one to get off but not to get back on. You only found out about this when attempting to re-board.

One gangway towards the aft of the ship was a set of steep stairs. I reckon 60 - 70% of the guests used this. I feel this was entirely too steep and one would have to watch their footing coming down with the risk of falling. Contrast this with another gangway directly below at grade level with virtually no one using it. The lower one could move more guests off the ship at a quicker pace.

At the ports we re-boarded at the aft gangway. The problem here was like a one lane bridge. The guests re-boarding had to wait until the line for exiting guests to clear. There was sufficient staff and equipment to handle the two different lines of passengers at the same time.

Captain Massa and officer visibility - There was lots of visibility of the Captain around the ship as well as in the Black Card event and once in the YC lounge. He had an open ear and listened to passengers without rushing. He was proud of the ship. Captain Massa and DW got along well, he was her favourite Italian Captain last week.

Future Cruise Sales (and Voyageur Club Coordinator) - There is one person who looks after both functions but I'll comment on the future cruise sales only. I have been on many ships where this operation is given prominence with an office, desks, seats for the guest and in a relatively quiet setting with 8- 10 open hours daily. Contrast this with one person at a counter, line up behind you, with the hustle-bustle of the 5th floor traffic and the MSC computer on the ship is as slow on land. This is a golden sales opportunity MSC is not utilizing. I did make an additional booking in our same cabin for February, 2019 but had not provided the CC number as yet. The paper work was to come to the cabin, it did and more about this later.

More to come!

Looking forward to the rest.....

One question, please, for dinner can you order a cocktail before dinner? Sometimes dh does not care for wine and prefers a cocktail.

A shame about the concierge.

I've asked before if they make the theater reservations and most have said they did it themselves, and now I know why.

Thank you for your review.

The Theatre - As I recall, the theatre seats 993 people and there are approximately 5,100 people on the ship. With 3 shows, at least 47% would not see a show on any particular evening. This was one level seating without any obstructions.

Did you have reserved seating in the theater as a YC guest?

Part 2

Future Cruise Sales (and Voyageur Club Coordinator) - There is one person who looks after both functions but I'll comment on the future cruise sales only. I have been on many ships where this operation is given prominence with an office, desks, seats for the guest and in a relatively quiet setting with 8-10 open hours daily. Contrast this with one person at a counter, line up behind you, with the hustle-bustle of the 5th floor traffic and the MSC computer on the ship is as slow on land. This is a golden sales opportunity MSC is not utilizing.

I did make an additional booking in our same cabin for February, 2019 but had not provided the CC number as yet. The paper work was to come to the cabin, it did and more about this later.

Made it to the ship - Two stories of individuals who made it to the ship on March 3 in spite of snowed-in airports in the New York city area. The first was the lady and husband with 10 year old grandson from Sarnia, ON. They flew Delta from Detroit to LaGuardia on the Friday. I had no information as to who knew what the weather conditions were before take-off. No planes flying from LaGuardia that afternoon and unlikely for them on Saturday. At 2:30 pm on the Friday, they rented a car, drove 26 hours through snow and made the ship at 6:30 pm. She did not want to disappoint the grandson.

The second lady from Montreal was flying a US carrier through Newark on the Friday afternoon which was grounded. Her only choice was on Air Canada direct to Miami in business at over $2,000. It was the beginning of March break. I trust her travel insurance picked it up.

Cabin 18031 - This is a YC interior. This was picked for the layout and the fact that there are no other cabin doors facing or anywhere nearby. It eliminated listening to the door slammers. A pet peeve of mine. As well, once you entered this cabin, you had a hallway and then turned right into the cabin proper. The cabin was quiet except for the muted noise from dragging of deck chairs at 7:00 in the morning. This is the cabin we had booked in the YC for future cruises. The floor plan is unique to this cabin.

Excellent service from our stateroom steward, sheets changed daily, lots of liquor, water and beer in fridge.Limited storage in room, on the poor side.TV could be viewed from both sides of the bed.A lonely and solitary chair along the wall which could have easily accommodated a sofa/settee.Maybe lack of one was to deter guests in the cabin.The cabin was functional. If charging anything and card not left in light slot, power was not on.

Being in the YC, you got your choice of one of about 50 newspapers on a daily basis delivered to the room. I got the Toronto Star, front page in colour, paper was printed and bound on ship, probably 30 -36 pages complete with advertisements. This was a good service.

We got our two Black Card chocolate ships delivered to the room, then the butler wanted one back. I indicated that both of us were Black Card holders, he retreated. DW was prepared to defend the two chocolate ships. They made it home safely.

The Spa - We had purchased spa services pre-cruise. All services are less expensive ahead of time vs. booking on board. While I have pictures of all the prices, I can't post due to what I term operator error - me. On-board the higher prices attract a 15% service charge which I presume is to cover a gratuity, but then maybe not.

The spa is attached to the Aurea Spa on deck 8. We did use it one day, an assortment of saunas, warm/cold showers, hot pool, snow room and so on. It was interesting and quiet.

Facilities for children - Although we did not have children with us, the facilities for them is where Seaside excels. An assortment of water slides, water cannons and climbers. I should add, the children in these areas were well behaved and having a great time. Never did see anyone on the zip lines, but then I was not watching for them.

The screaming child in YC Restaurant/Lounge - There was an issue in the Yacht Club dining room and the lounge. In this situation, the child, approximately 18 months old was happy and talking but would go into a screaming routine. This was a parental issue to which the parents ignored the screaming of the child and the glares from other passengers. At no time did either of the parents remove the child from the dining room. It got to the point for us that I would scour the dining room upon entering to see if the child was seated, to decide where we would sit. Many breakfasts and dinners were not peaceful.

This same family would entertain the child in the lounge with a laptop playing Sesame Street at higher than normal volume - think of a teenager playing load music. At no time did the parents seem embarrassed in front of other guests. The restaurant and lounge were effectively a day care centre, not the on-board sanctuary that MSC advertises.

Somewhere about Thursday on the cruise another family with two children and one perhaps 13 months old would scream as well, but the mother would remove the child from the dining room until settled down.

The finale was Friday morning at breakfast, our table at dinner was always occupied at breakfast, but at 8:45 am, our table was empty and all tables on the port side of the dining room were empty as well. This was unusual. Once we sat down, one of the regular diners we had at dinner and breakfast approached me and said you missed the bedlam a few minutes earlier. She stated to me that she and her husband as well as at least 2 other couples got up and moved to the other side of the dining room. She indicated that the screamer and another younger child got into an endless screaming match. By the time we arrived, the screamers and the families were gone.

On a cruise there is a great likelihood there will be children especially when the ship has facilities for them and MSC encourages families to cruise. The Seaside will always have children and there is a great likelihood there will be young children in the Yacht Club and more so when those 11 and under cruise for free.

The staff in the restaurant cannot get involved in this type of situation,no one further up the line would support them and they might get fired for saying anything. This is a MSC issue,but I feel will never be addressed.

Thiswas a first for us in 35 or so cruises. C'est la vie.

Highlights of cruise for us - The service staff is probably the friendliest we have met on a ship and for those with whom we had daily engagement DW extended additional thanks at cruise end along with written thanks on the envelope in the staff members' native language. The food in the YC dining room was excellent along with the liquid component. The view from the dining room had to be one of the best we ever had on any ship.

Thefood and service in Butcher's Cut was excellent and as well the one meal in the buffet on the 8th floor was equally good along with the self service beer tap.

The theatre productions, the costumes and vocals as a whole were probably the bestwe have seen. We went to the last night for Improv, it was also good and lots of laughs.

Thevisibility of the captain and officers was good, Captain Massa had time to speak with guests.

Boarding and dis-embarking the ship was excellent from a time perspective.

Bar service was good around the ship, no signing for drinks and I could order a drink for DW and myself with the one card.

The Spa, this was the first cruise we ever purchased spa services. Pre-cruise has attractive pricing and it was reasonable. Most cruise lines don't give that choice, but MSC did.

Downside for us - I hatedsigning up for shows, showing card to be scanned to go in the theatre and the mad dash of guests in the theatre to get seats, all due to the small size of venue.

Lack of adequate shade in the YC outdoor area. When I was 20, sun was important, now older, shade is what we need, this is a deal breaker.

Last but not least is the screaming child. Once burnt, twice shy. MSC needs to address this but I think it is unlikely.

Part 3 to follow.

One question, please, for dinner can you order a cocktail before dinner? Sometimes dh does not care for wine and prefers a cocktail.

No problem, the waiter runs down the stairs to the lounge and brings it up. The staff are super accommodating to the needs of the guest..

Everyone is the same, you reserve a spot. There is no reserved seating for anyone, you reserve to guarantee admittance for up to 5 minutes before showtime. Within the 5 minute mark, all available seating is open to anyone assuming there is space available.

RE: The screaming child. I always dread the thought of this.

Before my first cruise on MSC I spent years reading reviews and out of control children was a common complaint. One review sticks in my head. The Captain addressed this issue at a show and he basically said this is a family cruise line, the Italian way is to let children be children, they are our future, so deal with it.:mad: So you're right. I don't think the staff will do anything about it.

However, regarding the loud laptop, I could definitely

see DH approaching them and asking them to turn it down or use earphones.

I feel bad for whoever was stuck in the cabin next to them.:(

LOL on fighting to keep the second chocolate ship.;p

No. Resies super easy to make and all the seating except row 2 and 3 are good. Two and three are not raised. Tip: enter the theatre from the lower of the two levels and exit that way as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had several exceptionally well behaved children (meaning well behaved parents!) the following week in the YC and generally around the ship.

As to not interfering with a screaming child, this isn’t just MSC. I don’t think any of the mainstream family friendly lines would.

Luck of the draw I’m afraid.

DH and I really like the reservation system by contrast. It was very nice knowing that so long as you got there 5 minutes ahead, you would have a seat. At the 7:00 show, this meant pick of many nice ones. By contrast on eg Carnival and others I always find you need to get there half an hour early, something I hate.

Also though OP did not mention, fyi no bar service in theater. Again something I like, as service can be disruptive. Very easy to grab a drink and bring it in.

Highlights of cruise for us - The service staff is probably the friendliest we have met on a ship and for those with whom we had daily engagement DW extended additional thanks at cruise end along with written thanks on the envelope in the staff members' native language.

This is one of the sweetest gestures I've ever read about here on CC. Bravo!!! Lots of good karma coming your way :).

PS: How did she figure out how to write in the native language? google translate? I honestly may steal this idea :).

Prior to drawing this to a close, I should have touched on a couple of other areas.

Laundry - Pre-cruise, there are a number of packages including 20 items for $30 and 40 items for $50. On the ship, the price increases to $35 and $55. A la carte pricing on the ship is, e.g. mens/ladies pants - $8, shirts - $7.50, shorts - $4.80, PJ's - $4.80 and underwear - $2.50.

Should one buy a package, you can send 12 items for cleaning one day and the remainder up to 20/40 another day. In by 9:00 am, back by 5:00 pm next day.

One piece of misleading information on pre-paying or buying on-board is that you can send laundry out on last day (Friday) and get it back same day - not true. It may be true with a surcharge. The choice for laundry is wash and iron, wash and fold not offered. Shirts, a choice of hangers or folded. Of the 20 items we sent out, 18 items were on hangers, white shirts folded in a paper bag. I was impressed. Even the polo shirts and shorts came back with a light ironing. Not sure if underwear and socks are ironed.

Massage prices - Pre-cruise the 45 minute Bali massage is $76, 55 minute is $95.

The on-board prices are $109 and $139 respectively and subject to a 15% service charge additionally. There are other longer/shorter times and prices as well.

DW had a 55 minute massage; however from the time she went in until she came out, only 45 minutes had elapsed. My suggestion is to book pre-cruise a 45 minute massage only.

Mani/Pedi - We each had one of these at $69 pre-cruise, bargain compared to other cruise lines we have been on.

The on-board price is Mani - $54 and Pedi - $71.50, total $125.50 plus a 15% service charge.

Speaking for myself, I have regular pedicures and this was a first for a manicure. I was impressed by the results. Took a total of 1.75 hours. As there is no gratuity incorporated in pre-cruise pricing, one was offered and accepted.

Port charges/cancellation - The stop at Nassau was cancelled; however, the port charges were not refunded.

We did see a video of a Carnival ship off Nassau when we would have been there, probably 30'+ seas, the ship was tossed around. Good that we stayed away as there would have been many folks not feeling well due to motion.

Cruise bargains - MSC has offered the opportunity for guests to cruise at attractive pricing in the interior and oceanview cabins with the basic Bella or optional Fantasia package. From there, it is a balcony, suite or YC depending on tastes and budget. This seems to be working, the Seaside is sailing full. Any cruise lines wants their ship full of passengers and with MSC, what could be better.

The promotions they offer with children 11 and under is great. It is like a restaurant offering free kids meals on Tuesday evening with 2 paying adults, all benefit. Probably MSC is eyeing children as future cruisers as they get older, a good strategy in the long term.

On-board booking for February, 2019 - Once we got the paperwork for this booking, I did not carry through with my CC to deposit the cruise, let's say I let it lapse.

Second to final thoughts - While the Seaside is big and beautiful with 5100 passengers or so, we found that this ship is just too big for us. If we were to travel again on the Seaside, it would only be YC. I don't do well in crowds, traffic jams and lineups, I generally avoid or minimize as best as I can.

While the YC was nice, the service was great, it was also a let down, it met our expectations in many regards but failed as a whole. To me, the lack of shade on deck 19 was a planning error and probably will never be changed, that's just the way it is.

The bedlam at the theatre we could control somewhat by going to the earlier or later show whichever was quieter and perhaps just showing up immediately before the show for seating. An earlier time may have been doable as the show was an elevator ride away after dinner.

The icing on the cake was the screamer of a child in the dining room. We have no control on that. I did not buy into this, it was imposed on us. That is our memory of the Seaside.

Many cruisers will enjoy the Seaside, but we feel others will take our place on the ship and have an enjoyable experience.

Was it a bad cruise? No, by no means. We never had a bad cruise, just cruises we did not like for one reason or other, we did not fit in or the cruise was not a fit for us. Our only Holland America cruise fell into this category.

Last comment - Now that we have returned home, we still have (had) two bookings on the Seaside for March, 2019. March 9 was in a SJ3 Aurea Suite with whirlpool and the March 16 YC interior. In all honesty, I could not go back on the ship to be disappointed.

A few days ago, I called MSC to cancel the bookings. At noon, I was in queue for 5 minutes and gave up. In the evening, I got through within a minute with the MSC rep. Jennifer. She had to be one of most understanding persons I have spoken with at a cruiseline.

She noticed that we just came off the Seaside and was curious as to why we were canceling 2 future cruises. I indicated that the ship was not the right fit for us. After more discussion, I indicated some of my concerns especially the screaming child. She wanted to know if I had complained on the ship. I indicated that there was no mechanism on the ship for this type of complaint. Keep in mind that I had already met one person at the Concierge Desk who did nothing to assist the guest. I could have mentioned it to the captain (I had the opportunity), but I may not have liked the answer, in those situations, one does not ask the question. In any event, this was a MSC issue, not a ship issue.

In the end, Jennifer asked me to send my concerns to MSC Customer Service and indicate my likes and dislikes of the Seaside and I did this. The 2 cruises were cancelled. Will I hear back from MSC? Time will tell.

Which part of Eastern Canada Ken? St Johns Newfoundland here.. will be sailing seaside in April! Havent begun to read your review... saw that comment and thought I would ask..... looking forward to reading it

From Halifax, been up this way 40+ years. Was in St. John's in Sept./16 for a wedding, they live here, she was was originally from St. John's. They came in on the Royal Princess from Copenhagen, the winds and fog were good that day. After the reception, they left on the ship, party was over.

Also though OP did not mention, fyi no bar service in theater. Again something I like, as service can be disruptive. Very easy to grab a drink and bring it in.

Thanks, I suspect MSC did not want drinks in the theatre, hence no place to put them. As you indicate, no problem to bring in a drink.

This is one of the sweetest gestures I've ever read about here on CC. Bravo!!! Lots of good karma coming your way :).

PS: How did she figure out how to write in the native language? google translate? I honestly may steal this idea :).

Thanks, I have passed your comments to DW. DW works with a Filipino lady and through email had the wording. An alternative would be to ask just about any staff of the language you want. Keep it short and write in English or just communicate what you want to say.

This is a great review-thank you for your opinions and taking the time to write this review, especially re: THE YC.. I just have to ask you-what about the SMELL??

Thanks again!

Thanks. What smell? DW sometimes brings up "smell" after I have used the facilities. Other than that, I did not smell anything in my travels on the ship.

Ken sorry for your experience, we got off when you got on and i will tell what a difference a week makes because we were also in the YC and there no kids in the YC dining room and the pool area was nice and quiet. I know we would of eaten elsewhere but i would of said something to the parents and would of gotten a supervisor. Thanks for your review !!!

Thanks for the review.... Still trying to figure out why YC didn't appeal to you. Yes...Sun is an issue for you and I get that. Crying child....just bad luck...it happens. Why couldn't you have brought your food into the lounge area if the Sun was an issue? No way in He__ will I be going anywhere near the buffet on either deck for my meals.....other than to try a piece of pizza for an occasional snack. But I do appreciate your balanced review and respect your decision that MSC doesn't meet your needs. Thanks!

Edited by lcpagejr