Be Honest.

John Ward

After reading all the negative and horrible reviews of Royal Carribean's Voyager of the Seas. Just how many cruisers agree that all of these reviews are bona fide? I cant believe that the cruise line or the Voyager specifically can attract such a high Editors rating. We wish we had read the reviews before booking our cruise because we are not looking firward to it. Any one agree?

After reading all the negative and horrible reviews of Royal Carribean's Voyager of the Seas. Just how many cruisers agree that all of these reviews are bona fide? I cant believe that the cruise line or the Voyager specifically can attract such a high Editors rating. We wish we had read the reviews before booking our cruise because we are not looking firward to it. Any one agree?

Personally I take all reviews with a grain of salt.

I look for reviews that provide specific details rather than just a lot of general statements with adjectives. I learned about how people who are invested in an enterprise can skew the ratings. I went to a new furniture store and complimented the salesperson: "Your store has received a lot of nice comments in the ratings." She said, "Oh, all the employees and their families wrote those." Now, why she told me that, I'll never know.

Among you 'old salts' :D My wife and I are considered 'newbies';p I guess with only 15 cruises but we both have worked in the public domain. She still does as a brank branch manager w/almost 40 years and I was a uniformed police officer for ten years.She STILL sees 'the cronic complainer' customer almost everyday and many times, as a deputy, I saw people at their worst:eek: We both came to the conclusion that at least 10-15% of your average 'John Q. Public' cruisers LIVE too complain. That's why a lot of negative reviews here are a means for them too somehow 'feel' superior to the average cruising public as though THEY have the magic sense to see invisible nasty things that that we mere mortals miss.:rolleyes: It's almost like a 'badge of honor' w/these types ! Sad, so sad, but I just tell my wife,' Just shake your head and always remember, 'YOU are going too meet ALL types in this lifetime'.

Mac

What specifically about the Voyager of the Seas has you worried? Have you posted on the Royal Caribbean board and asked recent cruisers about their experience?

Roz

After reading all the negative and horrible reviews of Royal Carribean's Voyager of the Seas. Just how many cruisers agree that all of these reviews are bona fide? I cant believe that the cruise line or the Voyager specifically can attract such a high Editors rating. We wish we had read the reviews before booking our cruise because we are not looking forward to it. Any one agree?

I only cruised on Voyager when it was in Asia, after it was refitted and shorter cruises, 4 or 5 days. Found it to be like all RCCL ships in that class. Yes it was older but still seem to be a good ship.

I go with the 80/20 rule if I am not familiar with what is being reviewed.

In other words if 80% of the people say something positive or negative I accept that until I experience it for myself.

Keith

That's nearly what I do too. I throw out the best of the best reviews and throw out the worst of the worst. I figure likely experience is somewhere between these extremes.

I look at what people complain about in the bad reviews. If they’re nearly all complaining about the same thing, maybe they have a point, and I should consider whether it would bother me too. If the bad reviews are all over the place, with one not liking the food, one not liking the service, or the decor, etc, then it could be really subjective things.

You have to realize that most people who have had a really nice time and enjoyed their trip are not going to write a review. And that there are people who complain about absolutely everything -- the weather wasn't perfect, another passenger sneezed on them, the road out to the mind-blowing penguin colony was bumpy.....

I take all reviews with a big shaker of salt.

I look at what people complain about in the bad reviews. If they’re nearly all complaining about the same thing, maybe they have a point, and I should consider whether it would bother me too. If the bad reviews are all over the place, with one not liking the food, one not liking the service, or the decor, etc, then it could be really subjective things.

Also, you will find low marks from people who never even were patrons. Or give a low review because of stupid things.

"We sat outdoors and it rained and ruined our meal." How is that the restaurants fault????

So I read the Terrible reviews.

I also look at the proportion of reviews. If a LOT of Excellents and Above Average, that tends to be good. If there are more Average than Above Average or Excellent, then it may be OK, but not great.

Heck, read threads here on Cruise Critic and see what people complain about. :D

Also, go to the RCI section, and ask about that ship and get info also.

Here's a sampling of most of a review that is too general to be helpful. At the end this guy spilled the beans about his negativity: he lost a pair of expensive prescription sunglasses and he stated the bartender was going to be enjoying his new glasses. Yeh, the bartender has your exact prescription...

This person rated the ship a one star while about 90% gave 4-5 stars:

Dining was maybe average.

I'm not really into any entertainment. That's not why i went on the cruise.

Service sucked!

Shore excursions average.

Other than the cabin i spent four(4) days just standing in lines.

Need more working bartenders that are more personable.

I used to read reviews but I found they were bringing me down, and my blood pressure up. I stopped reading reviews. I do not want to give someone else the power to make or break my cruise (much like how I feel about the Cruise Director. I simply don't care who it is).

My wife and I are considered 'newbies';p I guess with only 15 cruises...

No way - I consider you to be a veteran/seasoned cruiser with 15 under your belt. ;)

I read reviews of cruises I've just debarked from, and shake my head. How could I have had such a good experience and someone else's sucked from start to finish?

Roz

If you are a positive person, go on your cruise and have fun. There is a lot of complainers on these boards and fortunately some like me who can ignore a glitch or 2 and have a blast. If we had taken any notice of the complainers, we would never had been on any ship.

Sandra