Verizon - Cell phone in port

I'm going on my first cruise in 11 years in July, on Adventure of the Seas with my family, can't tell you how excited and OBSESSED I am!!!

I'm in a sales job, and the phone to me is as crucial to my career as air is to breathing! Was having a panic attack as how much it was going to cost me to connect to my customers via cell and my laptop to put orders in..Reading on the Voom internet, I'm thinking to pay for the week of it, giving my customers a Google phone number to call my laptop, enter my orders, put them in, etc....Between the cruise fare, and the Ultimate Drink Package, I've paid ENOUGH! :)

My itinerary is Sunday in Florida, Monday Coco Cay, Tuesday Nassau. I called up Verizon to weigh my options.

Verizon tells me that its $2.99/min for voice, $.50 per outgoing, $.05 for incoming texts, $.25 for MMS...

I said what's the option for when I'm in port in the Bahamas?? They said $10/day to use MY plan! So, paying $20 for Monday and Tuesday, and being able to use my cell as a hotspot for my laptop to connect to, and also my wife and kids to connect to for a little while is a TREMENDOUS option for me! I do most of my business in those two days anyway, so its a LOT better than spending the $112 (ON SALE) for the week!

Makes me feel a lot better about not being in touch! Besides, we're leaving our (will be) 1 year old puppy with a dog sitter for the first time, and NEED to know how our little pooch is doing!!!!

I'm going on my first cruise in 11 years in July, on Adventure of the Seas with my family, can't tell you how excited and OBSESSED I am!!!

I'm in a sales job, and the phone to me is as crucial to my career as air is to breathing! Was having a panic attack as how much it was going to cost me to connect to my customers via cell and my laptop to put orders in..Reading on the Voom internet, I'm thinking to pay for the week of it, giving my customers a Google phone number to call my laptop, enter my orders, put them in, etc....Between the cruise fare, and the Ultimate Drink Package, I've paid ENOUGH! :)

My itinerary is Sunday in Florida, Monday Coco Cay, Tuesday Nassau. I called up Verizon to weigh my options.

Verizon tells me that its $2.99/min for voice, $.50 per outgoing, $.05 for incoming texts, $.25 for MMS...

I said what's the option for when I'm in port in the Bahamas?? They said $10/day to use MY plan! So, paying $20 for Monday and Tuesday, and being able to use my cell as a hotspot for my laptop to connect to, and also my wife and kids to connect to for a little while is a TREMENDOUS option for me! I do most of my business in those two days anyway, so its a LOT better than spending the $112 (ON SALE) for the week!

Makes me feel a lot better about not being in touch! Besides, we're leaving our (will be) 1 year old puppy with a dog sitter for the first time, and NEED to know how our little pooch is doing!!!!

Can u call using internet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's my actual cell plan, using whatever towers....I wonder if my kids connect through my phone as a hotspot that they can use wifi calling?????
If they have internet calling. You should also be able to use internet calling if your phone is set to use it. Then only have to have internet plan on board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's my actual cell plan, using whatever towers....I wonder if my kids connect through my phone as a hotspot that they can use wifi calling?????

You can use WiFi calling on your cell phone using the ship's internet, no need to use a Google phone number. Set up and test WiFI calling at home, before you get on the ship.

I just used Verizon's $10/day plan on my recent cruise so I'm familiar with it.. You only pay for it on the days that you use it. You do not have to call ahead to have it activated. I assumed the plan covered the calendar day i.e. midnight to midnight. That's not how it worked. It's a 24 hour period from when you first use it. I would get reminders on my phone informing that I had 6 hours left or 30 minutes left etc. So... if money is really tight and if you plan it right, you could make your first business call at noon on Monday and your last business call at 11:59 on Tuesday and end up paying for only one day.

I just used Verizon's $10/day plan on my recent cruise so I'm familiar with it.. You only pay for it on the days that you use it. You do not have to call ahead to have it activated. I assumed the plan covered the calendar day i.e. midnight to midnight. That's not how it worked. It's a 24 hour period from when you first use it. I would get reminders on my phone informing that I had 6 hours left or 30 minutes left etc. So... if money is really tight and if you plan it right, you could make your first business call at noon on Monday and your last business call at 11:59 on Tuesday and end up paying for only one day.

The $10 travel passes are great for ports. For on ship, Verizon does not support data anymore and what they do support, is pay as you go. Calls while on the ship are $2.99/minute and texts are 50 cents and 5 cents to send and receive.

OP bought the full drink package but doesn't want to pay for VOOM.

Since the OP does all his business through phone and internet seems like both the ATT plan for shore and VOOM wifi calling on the ship would be business expenses and deductible on taxes. If it was me I would buy a two device package for the ship (phone wifi calling and laptop) and the ATT for shore if I was going to spend a lot of time in port away from the ship.

OP bought the full drink package but doesn't want to pay for VOOM.

Since the OP does all his business through phone and internet seems like both the ATT plan for shore and VOOM wifi calling on the ship would be business expenses and deductions on your taxes. If it was me I would buy a two device package for the ship (phone wifi calling and laptop) and the ATT for shore if I was going to spend a lot of time in port away from the ship.

Since you pay such great attention to the original post, I have VERIZON...and in case you've been living under a rock for the past few months, there are NO more business deductibles anymore on taxes for 2018, hence Trump's tax reform...If I had an expense account, it would be a no brainer. I just need to make a few calls/texts for a couple days and then truly enjoy my vacation otherwise....

I also have Verizon but we are going to Europe. I will now check out their plans. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

$10/day and most countries are covered. If you think you need it, you can also bump up your data plan for the time you'll be away.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/