Boatyard, Harbot lights or somewhere else?

JohninDC

We were at Harbour Lights last week...very nice beach with all amenities. We walked from the port and took a cab back. Snorkeling with the turtles and the wreck weren't far from the beach and we had initially planned to swim out but were warned against it because of the prevalance of seadoos and boats circling around the area. We ended up paying $20 each for a boat ride to snorkel which ended up being a wise decision. The turtles only show up because they get fed by the boat operators. The wreck was interesting but pretty small, it was the turtles that were amazing. We saw a huge hawksbill turtle, many sea turtles as well as a tiny baby turtle.

We weren't bothered by vendors at Harbour Lights and enjoyed a very nice day! Would def go back.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our cruise overnighted in Barbados so we went to Boatyard one day and Harbor Lights the second. We had been to Boatyard before and really liked it, but this time it was much more crowded and the music was not relaxing. It was $30 for 2 chairs and umbrella, 1 drink and ride back to the port. Next day went to harbor lights and that is our new favorite. It was $5 pp for the cab and $15 for 2 chairs and umbrella. It was quieter and a simple "no thanks" kept vendors from bothering us.

Myrna

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new beach bar at the far end of Carlisle Bay, closer to Bridgetown and the Port i.e. to the right of the Boatyard jetty when facing the sea. It's called Pirate's Cove. It is owned by the same people as Jolly Roger, and I was invited to the opening evening/night but couldn't go, and haven't managed to get there yet. It's not as well known as the others along the beach and therefore is bound to be more peaceful, though I think it has been added to some shore excursions and may be getting busier. Link to Facebook page reviews:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pirates-Cove-Barbados-Browns-Beach/1548683205449126

Ignore the photos of the huge crowds - that was during a special event, it's not always like that.

More photos:

http://glorytoursbarbados.tumblr.com/post/140569766740/pirates-cove-barbados-do-you-know-the-famous

• 2 weeks later...
How much were chairs at harbor lights?

We were there last week. 2 chairs and umbrella is $15. Really nice beach. Beers $4. The guys that work Harbor Lites are really nice. They do warn you of riffraff vendors. We just said no and no hassles. The local police would patrol the beach (in the background) throughout the day. No worries with your belongings. What a wonderful day. We'd go back in a heartbeat. $5 taxi ride-- I wouldn't walk it.:D:D

Edited by satbeachbill

• 3 weeks later...

We have been going to Lobster Alive and renting umbrellas and chairs for about 10 years. Truly relaxing.

There drinks are reasonable. The view of the bay affords a view of the ship. The clouds gather in the afternoon, and it is a beautiful show of color. There is a gentle breeze that keeps you comfortable.

The owner makes the best most traditional rum punch you will ever drink. If you bring her a favorite recipie, she will tell you how to make the punch if she's not too busy.

Besides the bar, you may also use their bathroom.

We are a couple in our mid fifties, and we are looking forward to going there in the fall.

Have a good cruise!

AC:D

• 7 months later...
We enjoyed the Boatyard - quick $5 cab ride and we arrived early and set up in chairs on the front row; water was beautiful. Enjoyed our two free drinks - I preferred the shark bite over whatever my wife chose, and the water toys. The bucket of beer special was a good deal spread out over the day. A few vendors came by but moved on after a simple "no thanks." Music was not loud and mostly reggae, Jimmy Buffet, or country (:confused:). When we were ready to leave we listened for the announcement, cleaned up and enjoyed the free short van-taxi ride back to the port (I tipped the driver).

I walked past Harbor Lights and it looked similar, just without the water toys, etc.

Ignored the warnings (I suspect it is a liability issue) and paid $20 to go out and snorkel over the ship wreck and then with the turtles - fabulous! And the free cup of rum punch was more rum than punch. :D

Did you walk past the line of taxis and out of the gate to another set of taxis? I heard that was the best way to get a quick ride as they don't have to wait to fill the vans?

Did you walk past the line of taxis and out of the gate to another set of taxis? I heard that was the best way to get a quick ride as they don't have to wait to fill the vans?

Nope. Walked off the ship with lots of others, filled a van which dropped some off in downtown and others at another beach club. It did not take long to fill the van

I'll be traveling this summer with my 2 year old twins, is lobster alive a better bet than boatyard? We need a calm beach, shade/umbrella and facilities.

We only stay out from 9-12 and head back to the ship for lunch and nap time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two years ago we went Barbados on a cruise. Took cab from pier, he took us to Carlisle bay. It was quiet & beautiful. Facing the sand the Boatyard was to the left. Now looking at a map Carlisle bay is to the right. Am I correct? So what beach was I at the first time. I really loved it there. Im so confused. Help....lol

I'll be traveling this summer with my 2 year old twins, is lobster alive a better bet than boatyard? We need a calm beach, shade/umbrella and facilities.

We only stay out from 9-12 and head back to the ship for lunch and nap time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If by calm you mean the amount of people in the area, it all depends on how many ships are in port the day you're there. Lobster Alive is right besides The Boatyard with nothing more than a few feet of sand and shrubs between them. They share the same stretch of beach but those that go to The Boatyard tend to stay right in front of the area with their chairs and near their pier. I've been to both and honestly The Boatyard has better facilities like restrooms, fresh water shower to rinse off and the admission price includes the ride back to the ship. Lobster Alive offers no such perks.

Edited by Stinger-pr

We have been going to Lobster Alive and renting umbrellas and chairs for about 10 years. Truly relaxing.

There drinks are reasonable. The view of the bay affords a view of the ship. The clouds gather in the afternoon, and it is a beautiful show of color. There is a gentle breeze that keeps you comfortable.

The owner makes the best most traditional rum punch you will ever drink. If you bring her a favorite recipie, she will tell you how to make the punch if she's not too busy.

Besides the bar, you may also use their bathroom.

We are a couple in our mid fifties, and we are looking forward to going there in the fall.

Have a good cruise!

AC:D

I read on the Pescado Amarillo blog just a few weeks ago that the manager with the rum punch is gone and she took her recipe with her. Jeannie said it just wasn't the same experience without her there.

If by calm you mean the amount of people in the area, it all depends on how many ships are in port the day you're there. Lobster Alive is right besides The Boatyard with nothing more than a few feet of sand and shrubs between them. They share the same stretch of beach but those that go to The Boatyard tend to stay right in front of the area with their chairs and near their pier. I've been to both and honestly The Boatyard has better facilities like restrooms, fresh water shower to rinse off and the admission price includes the ride back to the ship. Lobster Alive offers no such perks.

Lobster alive is $15 (last there 10/2015) for 2 chairs, umbrella, drink, free WiFi, and complimentary bathroom use (not fancy) never looked for a shower. Yes, you do have to pay for taxi back, $5/pp. Taxis have always been waiting as we walk off the beach. Very quiet. I believe the Boatyard charges a little more for admission. So that covers taxi charge. If you want a lot of toys & music & now I think snorkeling maybe included, the Boatyard would be a better choice. We prefer Lobster Alive. Same beautiful beach. You will love which ever you go to.

There is a new beach bar at the far end of Carlisle Bay, closer to Bridgetown and the Port i.e. to the right of the Boatyard jetty when facing the sea. It's called Pirate's Cove. It is owned by the same people as Jolly Roger, and I was invited to the opening evening/night but couldn't go, and haven't managed to get there yet. It's not as well known as the others along the beach and therefore is bound to be more peaceful, though I think it has been added to some shore excursions and may be getting busier.

Hi, my name is Charlie and I am an expat who lives in the Dominican Republic. My wife and I are sailing March 25 on Pullmantur's Zenith which leaves from Santo Domingo and is a Spanish speaking Cruise (my wife speaks little English).

I have booked my shore excursions thru the ship because they may be in Spanish, they seem to be less expensive then internet based companies, and they have a wait for you guarantee since my ship arrives or leaves port at unusual hours.

St. Maarten - arrival 1:30 PM Jeep Tour visit to Maho and Orient Beach $65.

St. Lucia - arrival 9:00 AM CATAMARAN DAY SAIL TO THE PITONS $60

Antigua - arrival 8:00 AM- My Birthday so relax on the ship, visit the SPA, get drunk (all-inclusive), and spend a lot of time in the cabin with my wife.;)

Barbados ship leaves at 2:00 PM - TURTLE AND SNORKEL? $69 - This cruise sponsored excursion seems similar to the St Lucia tour except for the Turtles.

However, it seems that you can see the ship from the beaches named on this thread (including Pirate's Cove). So there should be no worry about not getting back to the ship on time since it can be walked.

Viator (an internet tour provider) has "Pirate's Cove Turtle and Shipwreck Adventure" about which it says "You will be transported to Pirate's Cove, where you will be provided with a beach lounger, umbrella and a welcome drink along with access to the washrooms and freshwater showers. After the beach, you will go on a 1.5 hour boat cruise to swim with the sea turtles and snorkel at a shipwreck. $54 ($108 vs $138)

This tour also includes a beach only option. $25

It is weird, Viator also offers "Shore Excursion: Pirates Cove Beach Day" which is exactly like the beach only option above except it does not include access to the washrooms and freshwater showers. $19

Therefore, I am paying $29/pp ($58) for a boat for 1.5 Hours. I do not know what to assume; this could be a nice boat for a group or this could even be a small motor boat for 2 people. People have mentioned on this thread they have hired boats at these beaches. They could help me by telling me about their experiences and what they paid. Any guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie:)

We are a 70 year old couple looking to go to one of the mentioned beaches. Hubby uses a mobility scooter and can't walk on sand, so we're looking for one we went to years ago that had a bar/restaurant just behind the sand. He hung out there while I was in a lounger on the sand.

I'm thinking it might have been Lobster Alive because I do remember it was just beyond the Boatyard. Sound possible? We just need a beach with a bar/restaurant right by the sand but not on the sand.

Also...sounds like he could scoot while I walk to the beach. Do you know if taxis will take his folding scooter? Easily fits in a car trunk.

Thanks for any info...

Jane

Firstly, what is all of this "stuff" that's been posted that has nothing to do with the original question asked?

We sailed on RCL Adventure of the Seas last week and Monday our first port of call was Bridgetown.

We took a group taxi ( walk out of cruise terminal to right, taxi dispatchers in orange/yellow vests) and told them we wanted to go to Harbour Lights.

It was $7 pp each way, we rode with 8 other people in taxi van.

We had pre-booked two beach chairs plus umbrella plus one hour turtle/shipwreck

boat ride for 60 Barbados $ = $30 USD for two people at Harbour lights.

Cicely at contactus@harbourlightsbarbados.com handled our reservation on line.

Harbor Lights nice beach calm clean sea water, relaxing day on beach.

Facility is clean, we had some drinks + light lunch which were all reasonably priced.

For return to cruise ship, groups were assembling on an on-going basis outside Harbour Lights, again shared taxi fare was $7 pp USD.

Whatever you chose to do in Barbados, please enjoy

Firstly, what is all of this "stuff" that's been posted that has nothing to do with the original question asked?

We sailed on RCL Adventure of the Seas last week and Monday our first port of call was Bridgetown.

We took a group taxi ( walk out of cruise terminal to right, taxi dispatchers in orange/yellow vests) and told them we wanted to go to Harbour Lights.

It was $7 pp each way, we rode with 8 other people in taxi van.

We had pre-booked two beach chairs plus umbrella plus one hour turtle/shipwreck

boat ride for 60 Barbados $ = $30 USD for two people at Harbour lights.

Cicely at contactus@harbourlightsbarbados.com handled our reservation on line.

Harbor Lights nice beach calm clean sea water, relaxing day on beach.

Facility is clean, we had some drinks + light lunch which were all reasonably priced.

For return to cruise ship, groups were assembling on an on-going basis outside Harbour Lights, again shared taxi fare was $7 pp USD.

Whatever you chose to do in Barbados, please enjoy

Can you please elaborate as to your experience with the snorkeling? I went this past October and spent my day at the Boatyard, which included a very short swim with turtles (no shipwreck and nowhere near one hour) and, while very pleased with the facilities, I was disappointed with the included snorkel " trip". I know I will be back within two years and I'm looking at trying out other places along that beach.

I love the boatyard.....I go every time I am in Barbados....I usually get a chair front row on the beach and the music is not too loud. The only "party like " atmosphere is when they crank up the music for 5 minutes, blow Thier whistles and give people free shots ....it ends very quickly...

Cruising to Barbados next month and looking for a beach day where we can relax. I'm hoping to snorkel with the turtles and the wrecks while my wife enjoys one more rum punch. :cool:

I've read lots of reviews of the Boatyard and am concerned about the "party" atmosphere. We're active 50 somethings and don't mind some music, but not loud, blaring non-stop music. Can we find some chairs and relaxation (plus good food/drinks) at the Boatyard? :confused:

Would Harbor Lights or another beach club be a better fit for us? :confused:

We are not interested in a catamaran/sailing tour. Any other good ideas I might have missed? :confused:

We are also 50 somethings and did Harbour Lights in Nov. We found it very nice and not noisy at all. Plenty of opportunites to snorkel and we thoroughly enjoyed our day.