Not allowed to cancel and rebook?

callmebetty

I got an email about the 2 promotions good until 11:59 today. I am currently booked through CAS for a cruise in March. The rep today (after 53 minutes on hold) told me it is only valid for new bookings, which I read and understand. I explained I wanted to cancel and rebook and she told me it was not allowed for this promotion. Just curious if this is something new, as we have done it in the past. I am quite happy with my bev package and I don't even know if I would use 4 nights of specialty dining, but it's the principal of the matter!

I guess they are just tired of people waiting every month to see if the deal is sweeter and cancel and rebook. Up to final payment. It ties up clerks who could othewise be handling new bookings that generate revenue. Just my guess.

On my two booked cruises with NCL CAS, I called because they were offering a promotion months after I booked and a long time before final payment. I was able to get the perks and actually once cruise went down by a few bucks ($4), but this was some time back. Possibly they are changing the rules, since many are pretty savvy about looking for lower prices, perks, etc. I would call again and ask another agent, you might get a different answer.

I remember years ago on Celebrity, you could get the published priced on their website up until a few days prior to sailing. On one cruise, I actually ended up paying virtually nothing, as I save over $1,900 and when we were discussing it at our table one night for dinner, one of the couples said they never thought of looking for price reductions. Well, all that came to an end and you can only get price reductions up to final payment. All good things eventually come to an end, I guess.

You don't mention when your forthcoming cruise is? If this offer is only valid on new bookings, the offer you received should say that. You might try talking with a different agent as many have gotten different answers that way. I know I just got a different answer from an insurance company by doing this. Still, I don't think it is worth being upset about this for what amounts to less than $100 pp in value. You could buy a future cruise certificate onboard and get more money on your current cruise to cover specialty restaurants if you really want that. Just be aware you have to make all your dining reservations in advance.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

You don't mention when your forthcoming cruise is? If this offer is only valid on new bookings, the offer you received should say that. You might try talking with a different agent as many have gotten different answers that way. I know I just got a different answer from an insurance company by doing this. Still, I don't think it is worth being upset about this for what amounts to less than $100 pp in value. You could buy a future cruise certificate onboard and get more money on your current cruise to cover specialty restaurants if you really want that. Just be aware you have to make all your dining reservations in advance.
OP's cruise is in March.

I am currently booked through CAS for a cruise in March.

the new promo is only good on cruises for 2015

That's incorrect info.

OP...find the thread on here about this promo. Many have been able to successfully obtain the second promo, many now have not. Some were through CAS if I recall correctly. It would appear by later afternoon yesterday NCL clamped down on the new bookings only rule. It seems to be luck of the draw.

I guess they are just tired of people waiting every month to see if the deal is sweeter and cancel and rebook. Up to final payment. It ties up clerks who could othewise be handling new bookings that generate revenue. Just my guess.

I would agree with this. They probably get sick of this and make others have to wait longer on hold that are actually going to book. I know if I was in commission and only get commission on sales I wouldn't want to do upgrades. Probably don't get much of a commission for that and a lot of work for not much pay.

Edited by abe3

I agree. I think when it started the reps were being generous by allowing people to add the second promo item. Some just had it added, others canceled and rebooked. I think by then end of the day they stopped and quoted the actual T&C rule about it being for new bookings only.

OP, here's the thread....lots of discussion from those in similar situation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2273746

I got an email about the 2 promotions good until 11:59 today. I am currently booked through CAS for a cruise in March. The rep today (after 53 minutes on hold) told me it is only valid for new bookings, which I read and understand. I explained I wanted to cancel and rebook and she told me it was not allowed for this promotion. Just curious if this is something new, as we have done it in the past. I am quite happy with my bev package and I don't even know if I would use 4 nights of specialty dining, but it's the principal of the matter!

In the past, any time I wanted to make a change to a reservation that was booked through CAS, I had to speak to someone from that department.

They are not open on the weekend, so that could be why they won't make a change to your reservation. It really stinks because I want to book my next cruise with this promotion, but the offer will expire before CAS opens tomorrow.

In the past, any time I wanted to make a change to a reservation that was booked through CAS, I had to speak to someone from that department.

They are not open on the weekend, so that could be why they won't make a change to your reservation. It really stinks because I want to book my next cruise with this promotion, but the offer will expire before CAS opens tomorrow.

CAS is open on the weekends from 10:30 till 5. I called a little whole ago to try and add the 2nd promo to my December Spirit cruise. They said I could to it for $180.00 but it wasn't worth it to me. I'll just you my OBC for 1 or 2 specialty restaurants. The number is 1-877-474-2969. Be patient, I was on hold for 40 minutes.

CAS is open on the weekends from 10:30 till 5. I called a little whole ago to try and add the 2nd promo to my December Spirit cruise. They said I could to it for $180.00 but it wasn't worth it to me. I'll just you my OBC for 1 or 2 specialty restaurants. The number is 1-877-474-2969. Be patient, I was on hold for 40 minutes.

Thank you!!! The website says Monday - Friday. It's close to 5:00 now but I'm going to give it a try!!

I just called wanting to cancel and rebook my cruise with the new promo I was told they would add me to the list for a callback. Something about the new promo not generating in their system. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm not going to lose out on this. I don't care if I have the same cabin for my cruise anyways.

We book our cruise for jan 2016 on thurs. Saw the email on Fri. Called our agent. He cancelled & rebooked with the new promo. We kept our same room, and no extra charge.

A friend tried to book this promo and add an additional person to her original reservation. She was told that she could not book this promo with a third or fourth person in the cabin. That is the first time I have heard something like that. Anyone else?

I just did this the other day with my TA - Cancelled the Epic and booked the Escape. So, it is possible.