Poll on room cleaning if you have cruised in spring 2017

LMaxwell

It seems, for the most part, they are still doing the 2x/day if requested (or just not asked). I personally like 2x per day, but I guess that is just what we are used to. In a hotel, you only get 1 time a day, so I never understood the turn down service, but I do admit I like it! I liked it more when there were mints on the pillow! We started cruising when my kids were young (6, 5, 2), and they loved getting the mints at night. When Carnival stopped doing this, I bought a box of Andes mints for $2 and brought them, and put them on my kids pillows. It was something that made that little difference to them. Quite honestly, it would be nice if Carnival added that to their VIFP perks for Gold and up...

But if Carnival has to reduce the turn down service to those who don't care, and not do the mints anymore, it really isn't a deal breaker. Carnival keeps their prices down, and these are some of the ways that we are able to afford cruising often with a family of 5.

Seeing on social media a question about room cleaning with 150 responses in one day, and, sadly, the responses are all over the map as to whether people were offered 1x or 2x a day cleaning, or not offered any choice, etc. I guess those rogue stewards are impossible for management to find and re-train.

This is not about whether you want 2x or 1x; it is about how was it messaged to you; were you offered 2x? Were you offered only 1X and told you had to choose? Was nothing said at all and you got 1x, or got 2X?

I just want to see peoples experience.

This is about what Carnival communicated, not what your personal preference is.[/quote

Breeze in March. We were not ask about cleaning the cabin. It was done twice a day

I got off the Pride today ( I'm exhausted but safely home). We chose BOTH on the paper for our kids room, and EVENING for our (adult) room. Jessica came by and told us she would be cleaning the room and handed us her mini clipboard to choose our preferences. The options for morning, evening, and both were simple and easy to figure out.

The kids room was cleaned every day with all their clothes, toys, and stuff picked up. Mind you, this was no easy task. Beds beautifully made

Our room was cleaned every evening, and twice it was cleaned morning and evening on our 7 day cruise. And no, we didn't ask for the extra morning cleaning those days, we just opened the door and we're pleasantly surprised.

Jessica was our room steward and she was AMAZING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Splendor in late Feb thru early March. Steward had a printed card with morning, evening turn down or both to be checked off. It also had other things like ice, robes, extra hangers, pillows & special requests. We asked her if we checked off evening, if it would be more than just turn down service, she assured us it would be. She did as she had promised, our room was neatened up, fresh towels, ice, etc each evening.

On the other hand, my sister & mother were next door- same steward. Sister asked for 2x per day & was given some trouble about it. Sister had some very specific requests which were not done to her liking. Mom is 90 yrs old & she wanted to nap in the afternoons. Steward would not enter the cabin if anyone was in there, even though we told her we'd go out on the balcony while she did her thing. She used our being in there as an excuse to not do the 2x cleaning.

So while we were happy, sister felt she got sub standard service.

I'll have to think about this before our cruise on the Pride. My husband has limited mobility and we will get up early and go for breakfast and then he likes to just rest in the room. I would like 2x but if they will not enter the room, then we will just ask them to double up on towels since we shower twice a day and have evening turn down. Last time on the Pride we had exceptional cabin stewards

On the Conquest in February, we had FTTF. Getting onboard, our cabin hadn't been made up yet. We dropped off our luggage anyway. When we came back, the steward showed up and ask if we wanted morning or evenings. I told him we wanted both. He gave me a dirty look and said OK. I mentioned that we didn't have an ice bucket. He said "If you want one, you have to ask for it." OK, I want one or I wouldn't have ask. Every time we ask for something like robes or facial tissues, he'd say "This is like a hotel. If you want something, you have to ask for it."

On the Sunshine a couple of weeks ago. Steward came to us soon after we boarded and had the "paper." He gave us a song and dance about how many cabins he had to do (over 30) and pushed us for once a day. I told him twice a day (we're not slobs...shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to clean in the morning and 5 in the evening) and told him his workload wasn't my problem. He ended up doing a good job and I gave him extra at the end. The whole thing though left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: I should add we didn't need robes or extra towels or pillows and didn't need ice. I couldn't care less for the towel animals but my wife insisted!

Edited by Cushing985

Just off the Splendor yesterday. Our room steward introduced himself the first day and had a little clipboard with a form & we were asked to select if we wanted morning service, evening service, or both. I told him that this was my Mother's first cruise so we would like morning service but I wanted turn down service and towel animals too. He explained that the way they way the beds are made that there is really no need for turn down service and that of course we would get towel animals. Our towel animals were left when they did the morning cleaning and our Fun Times was left in our mail box in the evening. If we had needed anything additional, Putu was easy to find in the evening.

I was expecting to not be happy with this level of service but it worked fine.

I was on the Sunshine the end of February. I met my room steward shortly after getting to the room. He had a card on his clipboard and asked if I wanted 2x or 1x a day service. I told him 1x in the evening was fine since I travel alone and keep my room pretty well picked up. My room was always cleaned as expected and I received a towel animal every day. He even would speak to me in the hallway and call me by name. Fantastic service.

On the Victory two weeks ago, service was ok. We asked for twice a day, hoping towels would be replaced at night and the room refreshed. The room was for the most part in good shape when we would head out to dinner. Took our steward several days before he began to give us new towels at night. Given how long I've been cruising with Carnival, this is a bit annoying. I could care less about the towel animals, use that time instead to give the room a quick refresh and replace used towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seeing on social media a question about room cleaning with 150 responses in one day, and, sadly, the responses are all over the map as to whether people were offered 1x or 2x a day cleaning, or not offered any choice, etc. I guess those rogue stewards are impossible for management to find and re-train.

This is not about whether you want 2x or 1x; it is about how was it messaged to you; were you offered 2x? Were you offered only 1X and told you had to choose? Was nothing said at all and you got 1x, or got 2X?

This is about what Carnival communicated, not what your personal preference is.

We sailed Splendor in February and Miracle in April. On both cruises we never gave the cabin stewards any options. We left notes politely requesting twice a day service. We believe in being proactive.

I wonder if it has to do with VIFP level to some extent? As in the room stewards may try and pull the once a day service on Blue or Red cards because they might be more agreeable and not push back as hard as those that have been around awhile and know how it is supposed to be.

I am not saying that any card color is better than another, so please don't start that discussion. What I am saying is that those that have cruised Carnival more may be less likely to accept the decreased service, while the newer cruisers may not know they are entitled to twice a day amongst other things. Just a thought.

Vista - February 2017 - no 'paper' or questions asked - room was done twice a day - robes were there and we asked for ice bucket/refills. Room done twice a day with turndown and towel animal.

Glory - March 2017 - room steward came by - no 'paper' but did ask and I said both - asked for robe which never appeared (not really a big deal) and also asked for ice bucket/refills. Room done twice a day with turndown/towel animal.

On Triumph in April, my cabin steward introduced himself on embarkation day and had a clipboard with a paper on it. The paper had options for 1x, 2x, or both for the cabin steward to clean the cabin. I picked 1x in the mornings and found that enough to suit my needs. He also gave me his business card with his name, photo, and contact information. I really liked that extra touch. The only thing extra I asked him to do was to put ice in my small cooler each day because I bought a bottle of rum from Fun Shop. He did that, but quite frankly seemed to ration the ice. What he left was never enough to last until the next day, and I had to go to Lido to get enough ice to supplement what he left. Other than that, his service was excellent. This was my 31st Carnival cruise, and I didn't miss the 2x cabin service like some of the other seasoned cruisers seem to.

Magic seems to be the ship I often read the more erratic responses on. Wonder why that is?

Not seeing the magic as an issue based upon replies here, are you basing that on other thread replies?

Sent from my iPhone

On the Sunshine a couple of weeks ago. Steward came to us soon after we boarded and had the "paper." He gave us a song and dance about how many cabins he had to do (over 30) and pushed us for once a day. I told him twice a day (we're not slobs...shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to clean in the morning and 5 in the evening) and told him his workload wasn't my problem. He ended up doing a good job and I gave him extra at the end. The whole thing though left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: I should add we didn't need robes or extra towels or pillows and didn't need ice. I couldn't care less for the towel animals but my wife insisted!

Wow:eek:

I was on the Magic on March 25-April 1, 2017. My room steward did not ask me what kind of service I wanted, but we did receive twice a day service. We were in a balcony on the spa deck, so it might have been included. I have always been asked before, but not this time.

I wonder if it has to do with VIFP level to some extent? As in the room stewards may try and pull the once a day service on Blue or Red cards because they might be more agreeable and not push back as hard as those that have been around awhile and know how it is supposed to be.

I am not saying that any card color is better than another, so please don't start that discussion. What I am saying is that those that have cruised Carnival more may be less likely to accept the decreased service, while the newer cruisers may not know they are entitled to twice a day amongst other things. Just a thought.

My trip on the Splendor last week was my 10th cruise. I am gold but my Mother was "blue". Putu, our room steward, did not try to sway us one way or the other. As someone else mentioned, he left us a business card with his picture, name & contact information. He greeted us by name from the first day. This was my Mother's first cruise and Putu did a great job of spoiling her:p

Not seeing the magic as an issue based upon replies here, are you basing that on other thread replies?

Sent from my iPhone

There is a thread on social media with over 150 responses since yesterday. Magic seems to be the one with most inconsistencies. Some people are asked and get both, some aren't asked and get both, some ask for both and are told no, choose 1, some aren't asked and get 1, etc. Some ships, like Vista, seem to give the traditional 2x servicing with minimal questions about it.

My trip on the Splendor last week was my 10th cruise. I am gold but my Mother was "blue". Putu' date=' our room steward, did not try to sway us one way or the other. As someone else mentioned, he left us a business card with his picture, name & contact information. He greeted us by name from the first day. This was my Mother's first cruise and Putu did a great job of spoiling her:p[/quote']

Were you in the same cabin?

Off the Dream two weeks ago. We never were asked 1x or 2x, but told the steward, that if he cleaned in the morning to please stop at night, pick up the wet towels and drop off clean towels. It worked perfectly for us and he would drop off clean towels while we were at dinner,

I'm sure that's not an official policy, but just from years of observing customers, colleagues, business interactions, when you have been around a while and / or know the client expectation people have a tendency to...I don't want to say game the system, that's a bit heavy handed most of the time, but "tailor" a situation to work best for them and their wallet. To an extent that goes on in every company. Some employees always give max effort, some always give just enough to skate, but in the middle you have those that pick and choose when they give 100% and when they give 80%.