First cruise

Vero1315

Hello everyone, this is my first cruise and a little nervous at the same time. Can someone suggest the amount of cash I should take with me on a 7 day cruise. It's just me and my 13 yr old. Probably 1 or 2 excursion. :)

Hello everyone, this is my first cruise and a little nervous at the same time. Can someone suggest the amount of cash I should take with me on a 7 day cruise. It's just me and my 13 yr old. Probably 1 or 2 excursion. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Cash is very subjective so these are my thoughts. I take an envelope with enough dollar bills to cover $4/day for Room Service tips. Add $5-10 dollar tips for excursion guides. Tips for your Room Steward and waiters at the end of the cruise are also optional if you feel that you received excellent service.

Additional tips for porters at the cruise terminal for pre- and -post cruise luggage handling are a nice gesture. If you use curbside check-in at an airport, a tip is also a nice gesture.

Bring cash for souvenirs at small shops. Larger shops accept credit cards.

Most cruise ships are cashless and everything is charged to your credit card on file.

I hope this helps.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

As mentioned, would need to know where you are going to better advise you. For instance, in the Caribbean, you want to have a lot of small bills in excellent condition for shopping with vendors that have a table or booth set up.

Ditto for taxis or tips to guides.

Please give us a bit more information to help you out.

My husband and I always pre-pay excursions, so the only cash we need is for tips and spending money. When we go on excursions, we always tip. If we eat lunch off of the ship, we pay in cash. Same for souvenirs. We usually take around $300 and make sure we have plenty of small bills. I've never used my credit card during my cruises. I don't usually spend much on souvenirs.

The ship is cashless, so you won't need cash for anything other than small tips (if you feel the need to tip above the 18% automatic tips). I always give cash tips for room service, but you don't have to tip in cash.

Everyone's spending habits are different, so you can probably base what you will need on what you have done when going on land-based vacations.

Welcome to CC.

It would be helpful to know what cruise line and where you are cruising to.

Most cruises are cashless. Everything is charged to your Seapass card. Your credit card is charged daily for expenses, including automatic gratuities. You can also pre book excursions, specialty restaurants and prepay gratuities, if you wish.

The only cash you would need would be for personal spending, tips not covered by automatic gratuities, such as room service or additional tips you might want to give. You would also need cash for tips for tour guides, cabs, porters, etc. Spending on shore depends on your personal shopping habits. Very hard for anyone else to judge.

What cruise line are you on? Some cruiselines let you purchase shore excursions online and that way you don't worry about paying once onboard. Please provide more details; which destinations and ports; that way we can guide you a little better

We always take much more cash than we think we'll need. Cash is KING...and if you need it, it's certainly nice to have! What we don't spend goes back into the back upon our return. Always bring more than you think you'll need.

On my first cruise, years ago, we brought over $1,000 cash with us for a 4 day cruise (I didn't have a credit card so needed some for deposit) and returned home after a one night post cruise stay with $25 in my pocket. That included a lot of drinks and souverniers on that cruise.

I don't use cash on board. If you want to tip, then add it to the receipt slip. I don't want to deal with dollar bills every time I turn around [emoji4] it's hard enough remembering where I put my Sign and sail card.

However....the islands I do carry a small purse with cash for snacks and souvenirs. The smaller islands really don't like you using your credit card due to fees. And you can often bargain down the price a bit for the crafts and tshirts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:D

On the ship everything you spent will go on your cruise card. (You may want some cash for extra tips.)

Basically, you need to take the amount of cash you'll be spending in your ports of call. Only you know your spending habits. Better to take more than you think you'll need. ;)

People here are just going to go on the basis of the cruiselines they've been on and which ports they've been to.

So to help answer your question:

1. which ship

2. what's the itinerary

3. what kind of excursions you're thinking of.

that's a start.

also make sure to look at the website for the cruise line you're going on as they will be info.