The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience

ronrick1943

DB - I don't know if it's so much a 'profit center' as a way to manage capacity. I'd be interested to know what percentage of passengers actually send their laundry out - and of those who do, is it just shirts and blouses or every piece of laundry? I can't help but think it's a huge resource drain to handle all the socks and underthings for everyone on board. Of course, I don't have the data to back me up so it's really all just guessing on my part. But I still think if they implemented a laundry package for all passengers they'd need to add more machines and staff.

But who knows? Without the actual numbers, it's all conjecture, isn't it?

UUNetBill, don't think it's capacity-I think that Oceania's R ships are about or near the same size as Regent ship and they seem to think they can handle it. They are a sister company so they know what can be done. Again I not saying they should or should not offer this perk-was just asking what people think. Rick

UUNetBill, don't think it's capacity-I think that Oceania's R ships are about or near the same size as Regent ship and they seem to think they can handle it. They are a sister company so they know what can be done. Again I not saying they should or should not offer this perk-was just asking what people think. Rick

RR - I'd need to know more about the capacity than just the size of the ship - maybe the Oceana's R ships have more machines, who knows? But yeah - I'd be interested in a package or two. Either a 'by-the-bag' pay as you go or 'unlimited' for the duration of the cruise - I'd pay for that. And you could include it gratis for the upper tiers so as not to upset the apple cart (although it would be nice to have a reduced rate unlimited package for SSS Gold members - just sayin').

UUNetBill,

True, we don't know all the logistics behind Regent's refusal to offer a laundry package. All we peons know is that many mass market and premium lines offer one. And those lines have a higher ratio of passengers to crew than Regent. And one thing I remember from our last Mariner cruise last March is that the laundry rooms for "do-it-youselfers" were large, but didn't contain nearly the number of machines they could hold. Since Regent went pretty much "all casual" we don't take anything that needs ironing, and I doubt that other guests take much that does. (In fact, we don't wear anything that needs ironing here at home.) But on our last Regent cruise, they ironed my underwear! And they came back wrapped like a Christmas package! Now what a waste of labor is that?

Of course, I'm just guessing to because Regent (unlike some other lines) does not respond to us on CC.

UUNetBill,

True, we don't know all the logistics behind Regent's refusal to offer a laundry package. All we peons know is that many mass market and premium lines offer one. And those lines have a higher ratio of passengers to crew than Regent. And one thing I remember from our last Mariner cruise last March is that the laundry rooms for "do-it-youselfers" were large, but didn't contain nearly the number of machines they could hold. Since Regent went pretty much "all casual" we don't take anything that needs ironing, and I doubt that other guests take much that does. (In fact, we don't wear anything that needs ironing here at home.) But on our last Regent cruise, they ironed my underwear! And they came back wrapped like a Christmas package! Now what a waste of labor is that?

Of course, I'm just guessing to because Regent (unlike some other lines) does not respond to us on CC.

Almost everything we bring requires ironing and we find the way Regent washes, irons and even presents underwear wonderful.

In terms of "mass market" and "premium" cruise lines offering free laundry, I know of at least one that doesn't even have self-service laundry and they charge to have it done. And, some "included laundry" does not include ironing.

BTW, while I agree that Regent did not respond on CC in the past, there have been quite a few responses lately. On this topic, however, there is really nothing to say other than Regent does not include laundry for anyone below Gold Seven Seas Society level. There are many things that "we" (Regent customers) would like to have -- Regent is likely aware of them.

Regent management knows that some of us want to be able to opt out of excursions and receive a credit. They have known this for 4 years (and also know that they lost customers over "FREE" excursions). I don't expect Regent to respond about this on CC -- I don't expect the opt out option to happen any time soon nor do I expect included laundry for everyone.

Travelcat 2,

I did not say that mass market and premium cruise lines offer FREE laundry to all guests. They don't! What I said was many of them offer a flat rate LAUNDRY PACKAGE that one can BUY, that (for us) is cheaper and more convenient than Regent's "per piece" price. A few of these other lines do offer free laundry to those who have a certain high number of nights on their line, as does Regent, but that is not the subject I was addressing. Paul Gauguin (another lux line) offers such a package that one can buy. MSC (a mass market line, but IMO one of the better ones) does also. This is all by personal experience. Others on this board have reported that many other mass market and premium lines also offer laundry packages that all guests can buy. I too do not expect (or request) that Regent provide included (no extra charge) for everyone. I only wish they would provide an extra charge, unlimited laundry package that I could simply buy.

Travelcat 2,

I did not say that mass market and premium cruise lines offer FREE laundry to all guests. They don't! What I said was many of them offer a flat rate LAUNDRY PACKAGE that one can BUY, that (for us) is cheaper and more convenient than Regent's "per piece" price. A few of these other lines do offer free laundry to those who have a certain high number of nights on their line, as does Regent, but that is not the subject I was addressing. Paul Gauguin (another lux line) offers such a package that one can buy. MSC (a mass market line, but IMO one of the better ones) does also. This is all by personal experience. Others on this board have reported that many other mass market and premium lines also offer laundry packages that all guests can buy. I too do not expect (or request) that Regent provide included (no extra charge) for everyone. I only wish they would provide an extra charge, unlimited laundry package that I could simply buy.

Okay - now I understand your standpoint better. I'm not against laundry packages - as long as they are being paid for. I have no clue what a reasonable charge would be given the fact that laundry is quite expensive on Regent. I wouldn't be surprised if an "unlimited laundry package" would be quite pricey.

Travelcat 2,

On the Paul Gauguin (which by the way used to be run by Regent/Radisson) the price of their laundry packages offends me not in the least. The price is more like the price to compensate for an "additional service" than a way to make money off of guests who have already paid a kings ransom in fare. The fact that you bring up Regent's "high per-piece price" pricing reinforces my earlier statement that it is a hidden "profit center" for Regent, and that is the reason they haven't offered a decent, flat rate laundry package for those of us who haven't reached SSS status high enough to get included laundry. Unless I had enough ship's credits to cover laundry on a particular cruise, I just wouldn't take it. May seem like a small matter, but with Regent's ever-increasing fares, a line must be drawn somewhere. And this is where I, and we, draw it.

Also, I must confess that the attitude of "I've earned it, and you haven't, and unless you earn it like I did you can't have it" does not sit well with me. Should Regent offer included laundry to all guests, I would be the strongest advocate for giving those with Platinum SSS status some other valuable benefit to compensate them. But for reasons I have given above, onboard laundry is not a luxury on cruises over just a few days -- it is a necessity -- just like bottled water! Over charging for a necessity, like mass market lines do for bottled water, just doesn't sit well with us. Not at Regent's pricing for fare.

Travelcat 2,

On the Paul Gauguin (which by the way used to be run by Regent/Radisson) the price of their laundry packages offends me not in the least. The price is more like the price to compensate for an "additional service" than a way to make money off of guests who have already paid a kings ransom in fare. The fact that you bring up Regent's "high per-piece price" pricing reinforces my earlier statement that it is a hidden "profit center" for Regent, and that is the reason they haven't offered a decent, flat rate laundry package for those of us who haven't reached SSS status high enough to get included laundry. Unless I had enough ship's credits to cover laundry on a particular cruise, I just wouldn't take it. May seem like a small matter, but with Regent's ever-increasing fares, a line must be drawn somewhere. And this is where I, and we, draw it.

Also, I must confess that the attitude of "I've earned it, and you haven't, and unless you earn it like I did you can't have it" does not sit well with me. Should Regent offer included laundry to all guests, I would be the strongest advocate for giving those with Platinum SSS status some other valuable benefit to compensate them. But for reasons I have given above, onboard laundry is not a luxury on cruises over just a few days -- it is a necessity -- just like bottled water! Over charging for a necessity, like mass market lines do for bottled water, just doesn't sit well with us. Not at Regent's pricing for fare.

Guess that we need to agree to disagree. Do you send your laundry out at home or do you do it yourself? I definitely do it myself and did my own laundry for too long on Regent (yes - do know about the PG - it was our first Regent cruise in 2004 - when they did not have included laundry). There is no way I can possibly see this perk as a "necessity". Anyone on a Regent ship can surely walk (or use a walker or wheelchair) to go into the laundry room, put laundry in the machine and even wait for it to be done (some people have posted that they have a cocktail in the laundry room while waiting for their laundry to be finished. This isn't really a hardship. Some people put their laundry in at the beginning of dinner - put the clothes in the dryer mid-meal and it is finished by the end of the meal.

As I said, although laundry is a benefit to be earned, I am not opposed to a laundry package at a lesser price. Having said that, however, the cost to send out a couple of pair of pants, tops and a few other items easily tops $40-50. So, would you be willing to pay $30/day for unlimited laundry? Obviously, this is a good price compared to what people are paying now.

I suspect that you may be like us --- retired which is a position when you are not receiving raises every year as when you were working. This puts retired people at a disadvantage in today's world. So, unlike those posters that are still working, it becomes more difficult every year to sail on a luxury cruise line. Our choices seem to be not cruising at all, doing fewer Regent cruises or downgrading to a level below "luxury". Some long time posters on Regent have decided to take cruises on premium or premium plus cruise lines while others have tried to keep up with what Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea offers.

It should be noted that Silversea is the only "major" luxury cruise line that provides included laundry for passengers booking Silver Suites or above (unless something has changed and I've missed it). While Regent has been a leader in terms of debuting changes in benefits for luxury cruisers, I hope that they do not try to set a new standard for offering included laundry........ but rather, perhaps offering laundry for $30-40/day (not such a big deal when you look at Regent's sister company -- Oceania -- that offers a beverage package for $69/person/day.

Jackie, fyi-- Silversea's frequent floater program (much more generous than Regent's in our view) gives you free (earned) laundry after only 100 days sailed.

However,we enjoy both cruising on Regent (sailing Mariner in Jan, Lima to BA and will pay for our laundry beyond our Gold bennies) and cruising on Silversea (fall 2018 crossing, where our laundry is included).

Jackie, fyi-- Silversea's frequent floater program (much more generous than Regent's in our view) gives you free (earned) laundry after only 100 days sailed.

However,we enjoy both cruising on Regent (sailing Mariner in Jan, Lima to BA and will pay for our laundry beyond our Gold bennies) and cruising on Silversea (fall 2018 crossing, where our laundry is included).

Interesting....... but, still, the benefit has to be earned (unless you are in a Silver Suite or above). As you know, you get one bag per week of laundry on Regent at 75 nights.

Have to ask about "frequent floater program". What does this mean? Also, what does Silversea offer that Regent doesn't? I guess I could look this up but I trust that you could explain it to me much faster!

As you likely know, we like Silversea (the Whisper and Shadow only) very much but not as much as Regent.

Travelcat 2.

Again (one more time for the folks in the balcony) I am NOT advocating that Regent provide included laundry for all (though perhaps it should at what it is charging for the cruise). I am advocating that Regent provide a laundry package at a charge less than their per piece price would be (for most people) that would entitle those buying it to have all their laundry done on their cruise. They would pay for it!!! Of course, those Platinum or above with SSS would still have free laundry service.

We do our laundry at home for the sole reason that we do not have a laundry in our small mountain city with pick up and delivery service. If we had one, we would use it. Also, here in the Rocky Mountains, nobody really wears anything that has to be ironed, so our iron has remained in the closet for years. And again, no clothes we bring on a Regent cruise require ironing.It is not that people here are a bunch of bums. We have a good number of billionaires here (we are not among them). I would not expect ironing as part of such a laundry package, though some would.

The Paul Gauguin DOES NOT provide free laundry, and neither does MSC, What they have is a flat rate laundry package that guests can BUY (or not) to get all laundry done during a cruise. Regent should get one of these.

Also, I should report that the Paul Gauguin charges about $16/day/cabin for unlimited laundry service. And this very tropical cruise involves the need for guests to have swim wear, shorts and shirts onboard, and slacks and shirts for evenings. Cruises where swim wear is not involved should charge even less.

This sounds like a business opportunity for some enterprising cruisers who do not mind spend time in the laundry room while on vacation. Offer a wash and fold service for your fellow passengers. With enough participation you may even pay for your cruise! :')