Booking Excursions Direct...

jmay86

So I know that most say to book with the cruise line because they won't leave folks behind that do, but we found a deal we just couldn't pass up by booking direct through the vendor...

We booked a Dolphin Encounter/Beach Excursion directly through Blue Lagoon Island (or the company there) as they were offering a BOGO Free, and that saves over $100 vs. booking via Carnival...

We are currently scheduled to be in port from 10A-6P. As you may know, a ferry is required to get to Blue Lagoon, and to return. We are planning on exploring Nassau from 10A-12P, then hopping on the 12:30P Ferry to the island. The return ferry leaves the island at 4P, and they say takes about 20 min.

Anyone who can speak from experience, please reassure us that we should have plenty of time once arriving back to the Ferry Terminal (near Margaritaville/Atlantis) to catch a cab and/or walk back to the dock with plenty of time to spare, say 5P.

And generally speaking, if the ship is scheduled in port 10A-6P, at what time to they actually remove the gangways and cut off boarding??

TIA!

I'm not sure if your comment about "most say to book with the cruise line" is entirely accurate. With the exception of one excursion, we have always booked third party and have yet to be left behind or rushed to board.

You just need to do your due diligence and see what other's experiences have been - and not just on CC. There are other resources out there like TripAdvisor and Yelp. If you think you will be cutting it too close, I would book the ship's excursion

All aboard is generally 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

I've done both and haven't had a problem either way. Occasionally (like with the Uxmal excursion in Progresso) the cruise line excursion is cheaper. Sometimes (like with every excursion in Europe) they are way more expensive in my experience. That said, if I am unsure about transportation (like I have to take a train or taxi somewhere sktetchy) or if there is a tender, I will consider the cruise line excursion 1st.

I will also say do your research. We've done plenty of ship excursions as well as independent ones with no problems. Be sure the price difference is more than what you will pay for transportation if the independent excursion doesn't cover it. For example, if I book a ship excursion to a beach club in Coz, it will include transportation. If I book a beach club independently, I need to pay for my own taxi. So, I just factor that in to see if it is still a large difference.

With the exception of FTTF and a cabana at HMC, we NEVER book excursions through the cruise line. As long as you do your research on the vendor you will be fine. Check their reviews on TripAdvisor and even other cruisers here. Those vendors livelihood depends on cruise passengers and if they get people back to the ship late or do a bad job, they're going to get bad reviews and eventually go out of business. In certain ports if they go out of business they're pretty much screwed because there's not a lot of jobs in some of these places. 98% of them will do a great job and will likely have good reviews.

The 4:00 ferry should be ok. You really want to walk from the ferry to the cruise ship? The cab ride is about 15 minutes, but in traffic it can take much longer. Cab ride should cost you about $15 for two people.

FYI, do not let them know you are on a cruise ship, Blue Lagoon has an exclusive contract with the cruise lines and cannot book any of those passengers. When you booked you had to check the box that said you were not a cruise ship passenger. I know there is no way for them to prove it, but do not bring anything that can identify you as being on the ship.

I book both ship and private excursions based on distance from the port. You could try to price match, but I do not know if it would be accepted since you are "technically" not allowed to book that excursion privately. Have a great cruise. Blue Lagoon is lovely, I am going again next week.

Is there any way to book the excursion in the morning and do your exploring after? We book independently 99% of the time, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that timeline, especially if a ferry is involved. You don't know how many people will be wanting to get on that ferry, and that may be a problem. When we were in Bermuda last year, there was a huge line waiting to board one ferry, and folks were upset when they couldn't get on.

Is there any way to book the excursion in the morning and do your exploring after? We book independently 99% of the time, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that timeline, especially if a ferry is involved. You don't know how many people will be wanting to get on that ferry, and that may be a problem. When we were in Bermuda last year, there was a huge line waiting to board one ferry, and folks were upset when they couldn't get on.

I agree. That would be too close for my comfort.

FWIW, if it is an identical excursion, I would book with Carnival and use their price match guarantee. They will give you 110% of the difference as OBC.

Did you investigate whether or not carnival would match the price you were offered? I think they have a price match/low price guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as I can see now, Carnival isn't offering the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter any longer, only the Balmoral Island one.. So no price matching opportunities at this point...

The 4:00 ferry should be ok. You really want to walk from the ferry to the cruise ship? The cab ride is about 15 minutes, but in traffic it can take much longer. Cab ride should cost you about $15 for two people.

FYI, do not let them know you are on a cruise ship, Blue Lagoon has an exclusive contract with the cruise lines and cannot book any of those passengers. When you booked you had to check the box that said you were not a cruise ship passenger. I know there is no way for them to prove it, but do not bring anything that can identify you as being on the ship.

I book both ship and private excursions based on distance from the port. You could try to price match, but I do not know if it would be accepted since you are "technically" not allowed to book that excursion privately. Have a great cruise. Blue Lagoon is lovely, I am going again next week.

We don't necessarily want to walk from the ferry to the ship port, but aren't opposed to doing so if we have to due to traffic issues... Luckily enough, we are blessed with decent health and would be able to make quick work of the 1.5 miles or so it would take to get there...

I don't remember checking a box denying that I was a cruise line passenger, but we will be sure to keep that to ourselves should we decide to follow through with the excursion... thanks!

The only issue with this option is that the earlier excursion is 10:30, and I can all but guarantee there would be no way to get off the ship and over to the ferry location within 10 min, given they require being checked in there at least 20 min in advance...

I did reach out to their customer service in regards to the final ferry, and the capacity of the boat... They advised being in line at least 10 min til should give us no issues, and that their boats had "more than enough room for all patrons"... I'm sure that is up for debate, should the entire island decide to leave at once...

As our next port is Princess Cays, we aren't really concerned with getting much beach time at the Lagoon, and will be more than happy to line up early for the return ferry...

We have yet to book through the cruise line. We've gotten comfortable enough now that we might not decide on what to do until we step off the ship. The people there know they have to get you back in time. I don't worry much about it. Even still, I DO try to do excursions early so there is some buffer time in case things go long or wrong.

If you return on the 4pm ferry from BL to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal, there's a chance you won't make it back in time for boarding at 5:30. The ferry back is generally longer than 20 minutes, unless you have perfect conditions. When there's a current, it can take double that.

The bridge traffic heading back to Nassau, which is normally a 15 minute ride, could take the better part of an hour after 4:15 or so. You're cutting it close.

You might inquire if there is a 4pm ferry that is going back to the port. If so, you can get on that and cut out the bridge all together.

If you return on the 4pm ferry from BL to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal, there's a chance you won't make it back in time for boarding at 5:30. The ferry back is generally longer than 20 minutes, unless you have perfect conditions. When there's a current, it can take double that.

The bridge traffic heading back to Nassau, which is normally a 15 minute ride, could take the better part of an hour after 4:15 or so. You're cutting it close.

You might inquire if there is a 4pm ferry that is going back to the port. If so, you can get on that and cut out the bridge all together.

So I called today to cancel the excursion due to worry of making it back in time (traffic at 4:30 from PI to port)...

I was assured by the rep and her supervisor that I would be perfectly fine staying on the return shuttle all the way to the Cruise Port, bypassing the Ferry Terminal altogether... thanks for the idea!