Food Poisioning

MAMATAMA

although your scenario is possible, it is not likely. lots of people on these cruise lines are over the age of 65, meaning that their immune system is already slowing down, but not quite to the point of immunosuppression. It is called Immunosenescence. Also, a lot of people over the age of 65 have conditions that could take them down really easily, i.e. CHF, CKD, etc. they are very sensitive to fluid changes (like with diarrhea) and can require hospitalizations. so i would expect someone else to get sick too if there was food poisoning.

so, it could be that there is a single portion that got contaminated. but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

there is a lot of details that the OP is not telling us. I will end with this, the treatment plan is frequently dependent on cooperative you are, esp in a simple case of dehydration due to gastroenteritis/diarrhea

I used the correct word for my meaning. immunosuppression isn't an age specific condition which was my intent.

As improbable as it may be to have a single case of a food born illness, until the exact cause is known, it would be unwise to rule the possibility out, especially when thousands of lives could be at risk.

I'd imagine the cruise line would be interested in making a definitive determination, only absolving itself once it has been established to be unrelated to food quality.

I used the correct word for my meaning. immunosuppression isn't an age specific condition which was my intent.

As improbable as it may be to have a single case of a food born illness, until the exact cause is known, it would be unwise to rule the possibility out, especially when thousands of lives could be at risk.

I'd imagine the cruise line would be interested in making a definitive determination, only absolving itself once it has been established to be unrelated to food quality.

those are 2 important risk factors that i was mentioning.

they most likely don't run the tests to see the exact bug b/c the management is the same.

We were on our 15th cruise with NCL, my daughter ate at Bamboo on the Dawn and got food poisoning. She was taken off the ship via ambulance violently ill. We missed over 1/2 our vacation.

I wrote to NCL.... they were not helpful and did not care. I was basically told to stop writing to them.

We have one more cruise booked and I will not book wiht them again..... I once was there biggest fan. Now I wish I cold cancel my future cruise.....

They were rude and uncaring.....

NOT GOOD NCL:(

Very sorry for your experience. Hope she is doing better now and that you are able to resolve everything.

This is the type of thing that travel insurance with medical should cover regardless of the cause of the illness. I don't know if it would cover the cost for everyone in the party to stop mid-trip if all are adults, but most policies I've seen will cover any costs for the patient and a person traveling with them if someone else needs to be there.

Not necessarily. People react differently to the same set of conditions. What may cause severe gastric distress in one person may cause mild discomfort in another. It is also quite possible for a single portion to be improperly handled resulting in a bacterial bloom, e.g. kept at an unsafe temperature for longer than other servings.

Of course not everyone has the same immune system but the point being made is: if it really was food poisoning there would have been a lot of passengers affected. I do not think you are 100% correct and even if you are, the OP would have a hard time proving their case. It is extremely unlikely the poor daughter really did get food poisoning and how would mom really know where she got it. Was that the only place she had eaten at in say, 48 hours?

OP, Sorry to hear of your daughter's illness, and I can appreciate how distressing it must have been - I've also gone down with something similar during a cruise and was confined to my cabin on doctor's orders, though as far as we can work out it was probably from food at the pre-cruise hotel.

Something that doesn't seem to have been addressed so far. Your daughter was sufficiently ill she needed to be taken off by ambulance during the cruise. Presumably she was hospitalised, in which case I would have expected that the hospital ran tests to ascertain the cause. What was the outcome of the tests?

It truly is a shame your vacation was interrupted with this. It must have been so stressful for everyone.

So while it might feel annoying that posters are asking you for more details, you made an accusation that can be very serious to Norwegian and serious to future cruisers. Normally when food poisoning occurs, it's very difficult and takes considerable investigation to ascertain the cause. So, I would be surprised a physician would tell you that it was specifically food poisoning without a confirmed test for bacteria (e.g., salmonella) and I'd be even more surprised they could pinpoint which dining experience is at fault. If NCL gave you any compensation, they would be admitting fault, so unless there is absolute proof it a) was food poisoning and b) came from their food, you are out of luck.

I am guessing the OP didn't get the response they were looking for since they haven't been back to respond to questions.

Accusations that could possibly not be true can really hurt a company. I understand the OP's frustration but maybe they should have taken a step back before posting. JMO

I am guessing the OP didn't get the response they were looking for since they haven't been back to respond to questions.

Accusations that could possibly not be true can really hurt a company. I understand the OP's frustration but maybe they should have taken a step back before posting. JMO

There's also a general lack of knowledge about food poisoning (kind of like the words "allergy" gets thrown around), and a health care professional may have given some comforting words like "yes, it was probably from something she ate." So I understand how it is either true and we just don't have all the facts, or it's just perceived to be true by the OP and they are sincerely trying to warn other passengers.

I agree 100%, people are so quick to blame someone else for their misfortune. While I understand they are upset for losing out on their vacation, people need to be responsible for themselves. If your vacation, leg, arm, car, house etc. is valuable insure it. I have purchased the insurance for my last 14 cruises and will continue to do so,even though I have not yet needed to use it (thank goodness).

these are the sort of accusations that put some businesses out of business. People post all the time they got sick from XXXX. How do they know? After all, people eat multiple meals a day. People touch things everywhere with germs on them. Some germs exist for a period of time and then rear their ugly head.

Sorry she was so sick. I am really am. That must be terrible, insurance or not.

Hard to differentiate between stomach bug and food poisoning.

Good luck with trying to get compensation OP. Not sure you will succeed with it. I have had the same issue before but not taken off the boat but never once asked for any compensation. Throwing up continuously is never fun except right after when it feels much better until you have to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

these are the sort of accusations that put some businesses out of business. People post all the time they got sick from XXXX. How do they know? After all, people eat multiple meals a day. People touch things everywhere with germs on them. Some germs exist for a period of time and then rear their ugly head.

Sorry she was so sick. I am really am. That must be terrible, insurance or not.

I can't say for the OP's cruise, but for us, it was obvious. Both of us had the offending dish. I got violently ill, hubby got 'queasy'. For one of the other ones, it became a humorous story. We were traveling, exhausted, decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. Prime dinner time, around 7-8pm. Nobody else is eating there. I order a grilled shrimp caesar salad. They come back and say they're out of shrimp, so I say steak is ok. They come back again and say (verbatim): "We found some shrimp." Like a moron, I said "Okay."

Anytime a restaurant says they don't have something and then says "Oh, we found some...", do NOT get it. :D

Anyway, number of times I've eaten out/take out is too numerous to count and number of high probability food poisonings is: 3 in the past 30 years.