After cruise review from Adventure of the Seas October 7th, 2017

dan-mish

Several times you note that the people on the islands are glad to have the cruise ships back and the passengers shouldn't feel guilty about vacationing there because their tourist dollars help the local people.

It reminds me of when they had that big earthquake in Haiti with massive destruction and over 100,000 dead, there was an outcry in the US about cruise ship passengers vacationing at Labadee. "How can you lounge in the sun when not too far away they are searching for bodies under rubble?" The Haitians responded back "please keep coming here, hundreds of us have jobs at Labadee and we desperately need the money we make from the tourists. It would be disastrous for us to lose this income" To their credit RC never planned to skip Labadee and each ship that arrived was loaded with relief supplies.

Skiiergirl,

Thanks for the dining tips.

It sounds like Mr. Ski and I would get along great. Hopefully, we will meet on a cruise someday. Then, we could team up on finding new friends:D

I hope you guys have great cruises!

Dan

Edited by dan-mish

SG65CB,

Good point on Royal helping Haiti. I guess that was in 2010? We weren't aware of their relief efforts until somebody brought it up recently, in the discussions of these recent disasters. Royal didn't have to help Haiti back then, but did the right thing.

On our cruise, we went to the Crown & Anchor reception. Captain Tomas spoke. He was very proud of the crew's work during their humanitarian mission prior to our cruise. He also said that he was proud of working for a company that had the compassion to help the region. I'm sure that part of his role as Captain is to be a spokesperson for the company, but this seemed sincere.

Dan

Thanks for this report. I’ve been haunting all the boards for first hand accounts. We’re on Viking, not Royal and we’re not sailing until March but I like to know what to expect.

We are booked in El Convento and they have been posting on their Facebook page that they are recovering nicely. They haven’t mentioned A/C or elevators but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. We have a ways to go.

There is so much negative and noisy chatter on these boards it was wonderful to read a nice positive personal account.

We did a cruise with Carnival in 2006 that had San Juan as a port stop and the piers looked like it did in your photos. I think that’s where our Viking ship will dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cyber Kat,

I think things are improving in these islands everyday. We had apprehensions before the cruise, not knowing what to expect. Then, as it approached, it was like being on the top of a slide, and you just pushed off. You might as well enjoy the ride! No backing out now. We started to think "hey, this is going to be more than just a cruise, it will be an Adventure" (pun). That sentiment was driven by my wife. The group needed a cheerleader to carry us forward. And "Adventure" it was. I can't tell you how much we learned from this experience. It ended up being much more than just an average cruise. It seems weird to say, but I almost wish for you that your cruise was earlier than March. By then, everything might be just fine. You might miss the enlightenment that we were given.

We popped into El Convento for a few minutes. Somebody in OSJ advised us to do so, saying it was "like going to a museum". True! The hotel is a work of old-world art. You will be right in the heart of OSJ (ok, maybe the tip of OSJ). We ran into a few national park rangers, but we didn't talk to them. Hopefully, del Morro will be open when you visit.

Thanks for the appreciation for my "positive account". I have tried to look at things objectively. We tried to listen, rather than talk, and I think that we got honest accounts from the locals. I am trying not to bias my posts, but it is hard. In the end, we gained a lot of respect and love for the people of the islands. We feel attached, especially to Puerto Rico, after this whole "Adventure". Perhaps we "just sailed through" in the past, but this was different.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Dan

Cyber Kat,

I think things are improving in these islands everyday. We had apprehensions before the cruise, not knowing what to expect. Then, as it approached, it was like being on the top of a slide, and you just pushed off. You might as well enjoy the ride! No backing out now. We started to think "hey, this is going to be more than just a cruise, it will be an Adventure" (pun). That sentiment was driven by my wife. The group needed a cheerleader to carry us forward. And "Adventure" it was. I can't tell you how much we learned from this experience. It ended up being much more than just an average cruise. It seems weird to say, but I almost wish for you that your cruise was earlier than March. By then, everything might be just fine. You might miss the enlightenment that we were given.

We popped into El Convento for a few minutes. Somebody in OSJ advised us to do so, saying it was "like going to a museum". True! The hotel is a work of old-world art. You will be right in the heart of OSJ (ok, maybe the tip of OSJ). We ran into a few national park rangers, but we didn't talk to them. Hopefully, del Morro will be open when you visit.

Thanks for the appreciation for my "positive account". I have tried to look at things objectively. We tried to listen, rather than talk, and I think that we got honest accounts from the locals. I am trying not to bias my posts, but it is hard. In the end, we gained a lot of respect and love for the people of the islands. We feel attached, especially to Puerto Rico, after this whole "Adventure". Perhaps we "just sailed through" in the past, but this was different.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Dan

I was on the Oct 14 and I feel EXACTLY the same way! This was unique and very special in many ways. My dread turned to joy and I am so glad I got first hand knowledge of the situation in PR. I am doing all I can to spread the word about the disaster that still exists

Okay, a little personal now. I hate to get preachy, but I am taking some liberties due to the situation in PT. Do your best to be patient and kind to the people of Puerto Rico. The restaurant may be beautiful, their uniforms nice, and the food great, but their home life could (most likely is) a mess right now. They probably don't have electricity. They may have their brother's family living with them right now, because his house lost its roof. That is the case for our last taxi driver. If you are curious, ask. Spend some time. It seemed to make them feel better to know that you care. If you believe, tell them that they are in your prayers. Tip well!

Don't have guilt about intruding on their island right now. Without fail, they were happy to see us "tourists" back, and happy to be back to work. Maybe it is comfort and hope.

I think that's about it.

Dan

The end

Thank you, Mr. Dan, for your visit and for your very moving review of your recent cruise out of San Juan. As a local Puerto Rican, your words and your deeds are of great comfort for all of us trying to rebuild our lives, which for many include welcoming and servicing distinguished guests such as yourself and your wonderful family. Muchas gracias!

Thank you Dan for the wonderful report, it makes me feel a lot better for my decision not to cancel our Nov 4th cruise with Celebrity Summit.

We will be staying at Casa Blanca on Nov 2nd and 3rd, we will certainly visit the restaurants you have recommended. Thank you again for your time writing the review, it does give us a clearer picture of the old town.

Thanks for much for sharing your review and photos. I am taking my family on a New Year cruise with NCL and seeing your photos and reading your comments makes me feel a whole lot better about our upcoming trip. There have been struggles with cancelled and changed flights, no responses from our hotel and Airbnb, but with two months to go til we head to San Juan and reading and seeing your photos, I am confident that we will enjoy showing our daughters the town of San Juan for the first time in December. Now, if those darn airlines would just stop cancelling flights without informing us, and fly us there an back, I would be most appreciative.