What is the best boat snorkel on Roatan???

Djdarleen

Hi all. I am cruising to Roatan in April, looking for a great boat snorkel. I had requested shore excursioneer's 3 reef snorkel with lobster dinner, but they came back and said the operator has sold that date out. Extremely disappointed, as this was the excursion I, my mom and my sister were all most looking forward to. SO... any suggestions? We want to snorkel the reef from a boat, would prefer lunch to be included. Really looking for a great experience with the best viewing of the reef and most time in the water. None of us drink, so open bar is not necessary, but snacks and water would be nice... Most importantly, looking for a SMALL snorkel group in an uncrowded area. It seems that time is of the essence, in that we've already missed out on one tour. Thanks for your help!!!

I have snorkeled a fair bit of the island, I truly believe the best bits,with the highest critter count, are within the Roatan Marine Park. It runs from one end of Sandy Bay to the far end of West Bay.

Were I you, I would contact the local tour operators, see if they can sort transport, snorkel tour and lunch. It maybe just you and your party on the boat or you could see if any of your roll call are interested.

Come to think of it, you could do a drift snorkel with the boat following you, find your own fav spots along the reef. If you go that route, drift toward West Bay.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

I can highly recommend Radical Adventures. We went out with them (with a maximum of about 12-16 people) and had a wonderful day. The catamaran's owners take you out to 2 different spots for snorkeling. There is a cook onboard who prepares fresh, hot dishes for lunch and everything was delicious. (And there's snacks, sodas and alcoholic drinks too.) The ship's crew is so friendly and they enjoy talking with the passengers. Our excursion with Radical Adventures was a highlight of our cruise.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/

Thanks GradUT! I appreciate the recommendation. We are actually now considering doing Shore Excursioneer's Roatan discover beginner scuba & Mayan Princess resort. If we don't go that route I will definitely check out free radical.

Have an email conversation with several of the local tour guys. Bet ya dollars to donuts they will catet to your every whim. Bodden and Rory come to mind.

Or Free Radical is a good option. The food is yummy, the staff spot on and the snorkling was pretty good.

Have an email conversation with several of the local tour guys. Bet ya dollars to donuts they will catet to your every whim. Bodden and Rory come to mind.

Or Free Radical is a good option. The food is yummy, the staff spot on and the snorkling was pretty good.

Guest, you were SO right! I tried to get on a tour with free radical, but they were already booked for a group on a Royal Caribbean ship and said they can't mix groups from different ships (different docks, and arrival times). They recommended Upachaya, who has stellar reviews on trip advisor. I contacted the owner, Barb, and asked if she could provide a lobster lunch for us, rather than the regular lunch of rice and beans. No problem! For an additional $15 pp she's doing the lobster for us, and promised to have Dr Pepper for my sister and iced tea for my mom and me. at a total price of $95, it's a bargain! So looking forward to this, as Upachaya is an eco resort known for their botanical gardens. We will do the pontoon snorkel, they also have a kayak snorkel. YAY! third time's the charm for booking our snorkel on Roatan!

Guest, you were SO right! I tried to get on a tour with free radical, but they were already booked for a group on a Royal Caribbean ship and said they can't mix groups from different ships (different docks, and arrival times). They recommended Upachaya, who has stellar reviews on trip advisor. I contacted the owner, Barb, and asked if she could provide a lobster lunch for us, rather than the regular lunch of rice and beans. No problem! For an additional $15 pp she's doing the lobster for us, and promised to have Dr Pepper for my sister and iced tea for my mom and me. at a total price of $95, it's a bargain! So looking forward to this, as Upachaya is an eco resort known for their botanical gardens. We will do the pontoon snorkel, they also have a kayak snorkel. YAY! third time's the charm for booking our snorkel on Roatan!

Well done! I am so glad you took risk and ask for what you wanted.

Enjoy your trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile, but I snorkeled with Upachaya and had a really nice experience. I think you are going to have a wonderful day! Lunch was great -- with Lobster, I'm sure it will be even better.

• 1 month later...

Djdarleen How did everything turn out? We are looking at Upachaya in Sept 2017 for our snorkel in Roatan. Thanks.

Djdarleen How did everything turn out? We are looking at Upachaya in Sept 2017 for our snorkel in Roatan. Thanks.

Uhswim: AMAZING!!! we had a terrific time. It was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I posted a full review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53094750&posted=1#post53094750

The one thing I would say: be careful with the times. The time listed at the end of the confirmation e-mail is not the time to be at the taxi stand! You're supposed to get off the boat asap and get to the stand, which is outside the cruise terminal. Other than that missed communication (totally my fault) absolutely everything was wonderful!! You will NOT be disappointed! The best part about was: we were the only people around! No other snorkel/dive boats in sight, just our little group of the 3 of us. So quiet and peaceful...

Edited by Djdarleen
added a sentence at the end

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

which cruise will you be going on? Have you used Upachaya or Free Radical before? We are on NCL Escape in Roatan the 18th and debating between the two companies right now. Anyone have a preference between the two on which they would prefer?

• 2 weeks later...
which cruise will you be going on? Have you used Upachaya or Free Radical before? We are on NCL Escape in Roatan the 18th and debating between the two companies right now. Anyone have a preference between the two on which they would prefer?

Have you contacted Free Radical? We are in Roatan October 24th on NCL Pearl and they are contracted to Carnival :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just looked at Radical's calendar for 24 Oct, states they have 6 from "Carnival" with "room for more to join." Have you contacted them? It is my understanding that they will "mix" passengers from other ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just looked at Radical's calendar for 24 Oct, states they have 6 from "Carnival" with "room for more to join." Have you contacted them? It is my understanding that they will "mix" passengers from other ships.

I've talked to them twice. Both times they said they wouldn't mix groups :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We are looking for a few more people to go with Radical snorkeling on October 30th. The charter includes transportation to and from the cruise ship dock, snacks, a nice lunch, all beverages (soda, bottled water, local beer and spirits)and snorkeling gear. A crew of young strong snorkel guides will take good care of you in the water. I've only heard good things and am looking forward to this trip.

We are looking for a few more people to go with Radical snorkeling on October 30th. The charter includes transportation to and from the cruise ship dock, snacks, a nice lunch, all beverages (soda, bottled water, local beer and spirits)and snorkeling gear. A crew of young strong snorkel guides will take good care of you in the water. I've only heard good things and am looking forward to this trip.

Did you post on your roll call? That’s where we found our group going in Nov.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Roatan last week and had an outstanding snorkeling trip with Alex and Javi from Roatan Eco Tour. They had our party of 16 and treated us fantastic. The water was a littl rough so they offered to drop off any who didn't want the rough seas at the beach and took the daredevils on a 3rd trip. It was fantastic to have out group all together and treated so special. Javi is with you and finds the special places the eels and fish like to hide and will even take your GoPro and get upclose photos! My highest recommendation, http://roatanecotour.com/

Have you tried Herbert from ROA - Roatan Ocean Adventures?

We were in Roatan in October to snorkel and had a great experience with him ...

We ended up snorkeling three spots and stopping at Daniel Johnson’s to hold a sloth before heading back to the ship and checking out Mahogany Bay beach - Carnival’s port area.

http://roatanoceanadventures.com/

He is on trip advisor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk