List of Prohibited Items on DCL

Host Mick

The original file is HERE.

(Updated 10/24/2016)

Q: What items are not permitted on board Disney Cruise Line ships or at Castaway Cay?

A: In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be stored upon being found.

Firearms, ammunition, knives (including dive knives), swords, daggers and any other types of weapons

Toy guns or other replicas of firearms and weapons

Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances

Liquid oxygen

Non-prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana

Hookah pipes

Power tools and toolboxes (except those utilized by vendors providing services)

Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices

Potentially dangerous sporting equipment, including baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment. (Golf clubs are permitted as long as they are stored inside your stateroom.)

Scuba equipment such as tanks, spears, spear guns, slings, dive knives, pry bars, and underwater scooters. (Masks and snorkels are allowed)

Remote-controlled helicopters, airplanes, drones or similar devices

Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats, pool noodles, inflatable pools and wagons

Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, hoverboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels (i.e. Heely’s type shoes) and Segways, or other wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels and devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted.

Wheeled transport devices other than those required by Guests with disabilities

Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, blenders, electric irons, electric blankets, heating pads, bottle sterilizers and warmers

Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services

All ships offer self-service laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.

Candles and incense

DVD, VCR, and Blu-ray players

Gaming systems such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo Wii (due to compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs)

Musical instruments

Ice chests and coolers, except for those permitted for storing medications, baby food and items related to dietary restrictions

Homemade, precooked or perishable foods or open food containers. Also, please refer to our guidelines on restricted food and beverages

Over-the-door hanging organizers

Metal detectors

Fireworks or pyrotechnics

Seasonal and/or celebratory light bulb strings

Extension cords or surge protectors

Ham radios

The following items are permitted but with the following restrictions:

Walkie-talkies and two-way radios (e.g., Motorola, JVC). Please be aware that the amount of steel in the ship's infrastructure may cause some "dead zones" and the radios may not transmit in these areas.

A small portable fan. However, please contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve the use of your particular appliance in the stateroom.

Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.

Golf clubs, as long as they are stored in your stateroom.

Q. Can I decorate my stateroom door or hang items over the doors?

A.To ensure an enjoyable cruise experience for all our Guests, we ask that you take note of the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

You are welcome to place magnetic signs on your stateroom door. Though, please note that Concierge staterooms on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy have wooden doors. You may not affix items to your stateroom doors using tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives, as this can damage the doors’ finish.

Also, using over-the-door hanging organizers is prohibited, as they can scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests who damage doors in violation of these guidelines will be assessed a $100 fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

Q. Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A. Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Please note:

•These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

•Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.

•Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.

•Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.

•Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.

•Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Edited by Host Mick

• 3 weeks later...

In researching for our upcoming Disney cruise, I've seen several posts that say Disney has rules now against over the door shoe hangers. I have found these to be very helpful when cruising and do not see that in your list of things not to bring. Perhaps it would be helpful to others if that were added to your list.

In researching for our upcoming Disney cruise, I've seen several posts that say Disney has rules now against over the door shoe hangers. I have found these to be very helpful when cruising and do not see that in your list of things not to bring. Perhaps it would be helpful to others if that were added to your list.

I've heard the same thing. Apparently the metal hooks were damaging the doors. Try hanging it on the metal rod in the closet.

The list is from DCL's web site and apparently it hasn't been updated.

Edited by Host Mick

No musical instruments? Ok, I will leave my Piano at home then..:D

You would be surprised how many people want to bring a guitar or flute or violin etc onboard so their special snowflake can keep up their practice.

And imagine how that could disturb neighbors or others on deck.

ex techie

• 4 weeks later...
You would be surprised how many people want to bring a guitar or flute or violin etc onboard so their special snowflake can keep up their practice.

And imagine how that could disturb neighbors or others on deck.

ex techie

I see no problem with this whatsoever, except that weapons and/or firearms are also prohibited. :D

• 8 months later...
This list should be updated to include that hard liquor is also prohibited to be brought aboard, and if done, will be confiscated until the end of the cruise.

ex techie

Got it. Thanks.

I threw in the info about over the door racks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Curious as to extension cords. Are there plenty of outlets in the staterooms on the fantasy? What about an adapter that would accommodate 3 devices?

Good Point! I bring a short extension cord as I've on camera and external battery chargers. In a day of shooting stills and video, it might be necessary to charge eight batteries.

Curious as to extension cords. Are there plenty of outlets in the staterooms on the fantasy? What about an adapter that would accommodate 3 devices?

A typical stateroom on the Fantasy (at least the two we've been in) have a couple of outlets on the desk. Two on one side of the bed, and one on the other. As well as an outlet behind the TV.

Is that enough?

However, extension cords are on the prohibited list, also.

Edited by Shmoo here

Good Point! I bring a short extension cord as I've on camera and external battery chargers. In a day of shooting stills and video, it might be necessary to charge eight batteries.

Extension cords are prohibited. It doesn't say anything about the length of the cord. It says "not permitted."

• 3 weeks later...

You can get an extension cord from guest service. There was a $50 charge if not turned in. Needed it for husbands sleep apnea machine. Only one plug on one night stand. I brought a small fan and I mean small. It was taken for inspection but returned the 1st night. I do recommend plug adapters,as long as they do not have a surge protector.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
are prams prohibited? I have this pram http://www.prams.net/hauck-sport and am worried that I won't be allowed it with my child

No, strollers are allowed.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/strollers/

Q.

Do I need to bring my child's stroller, or are there strollers on board I can use?

A.

We encourage you to bring your own stroller, as the ship has a very limited number of strollers available on a first-come basis.

For ease of carrying and maneuvering your stroller on board, as well as for less-bulky storage, we recommend you bring a lightweight, foldable stroller.

Please note: safety regulations require all Guest equipment—including wheelchairs, electric mobility scooters and strollers—be stored inside Guest staterooms when not in use. Parking these devices in corridors or stairwell landings is strictly prohibited.

Once on board, contact Guest Services if you need to find an alternate parking location.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently sailed on the Magic, and based on the tips in the original Tips thread, (post #13 and post #25 by Host Mick) we had an extension cord/surge protector in our luggage.

Our luggage was not delivered to our cabin. At about 5:15pm a note was brought to our cabin saying there was something "unauthorized" in our luggage, and telling us to come to sort it out at the luggage depot, Deck 1, Forward before 6pm. They asked us to open our luggage. The culprit was the extension cord / surge protector, which was confiscated! Their concern is that its a fire hazard. We were given a receipt, and told we could reclaim it after passport and customs at the end of the cruise.

At the end of the cruise, as we exited the terminal, there was a table piled high with dozens of confiscated extension cords! We gave them our receipt and retrieved our cord.

Edited by Seapoint

• 3 weeks later...

Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call.

Is this correct? two bottles at each port of call?

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the list on the DCL website has been updated somewhat since the original post in 2015...

Prohibited Items – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.

What items are prohibited on board the ship and on Castaway Cay?

A.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for all Guests and Crew, Disney Cruise Line has a zero weapons policy and prohibits the following items on board the ships and ashore at Castaway Cay.

• Firearms
  • Firearm replicas, including non-firing, imitations, toys, and their components
    • (Toy Exceptions)
      • Store-bought Light sabers
      • Plastic toy 'pirate' swords
      • Plastic store-bought toy “Mjolnir” hammers (Thor’s hammer)
  • Air, BB, pellet, paintball pistols, rifles and sling shot
  • Diving equipment air tanks, spears, spear guns, slings, dive knives, pry bars, and underwater scooters
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), communication scanners, wide band receivers
  • Explosives components and accessories, including ammunition, detonators, fireworks, pyrotechnics and flares
  • Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances, including liquid oxygen
  • Illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic, designer drugs, and medically prescribed marijuana
  • Knives regardless of blade length, straight razors
  • Lasers
  • Restraining devices and offensive weapons, hand and leg cuffs, pepper spray and taser, stun guns
  • Scissors with blades exceeding 4” (scissors with blunt ends and no longer than 4 inches are allowed)

Guests found in possession of any weapons or similar prohibited items on their person or in their baggage may be denied boarding and are subject to severe legal penalties.

Additionally, the following items are restricted for safety reasons and should not be brought on board.

• Alcoholic Beverages
  • Agricultural Items
    • Flowers
  • Aquatic Items
    • Boogie Boards
    • Inflatable floats
    • Inflatable pools
    • Pool noodles
    • Rafts
    • Surfboards
    • Wave boards
  • Balloons and kites
  • Candles and incense
  • Coolers and/or Ice Chests that are larger than 12” x 12” x 12”. Coolers that meet the size requirements must be brought on as carry-on luggage. (Food & Ice Chest Policy)
  • Electrical appliances and components
    • Blenders 
    • Bottle sterilizers and warmers (A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services)
    • Coffee makers
    • Diffusers
    • Electric blankets
    • Electric irons and Steamers (all ships offer self-service laundry facilities equipped with irons and ironing boards)
    • Extension cords, power strips and surge protectors 
    • Heating pads
    • Hot plates
    • Microwave ovens
    • Rice cookers
    • Seasonal and/or celebratory light bulb strings
  • Exceptions for Electrical Appliances
    • Curling irons
    • Flat irons
    • Hair dryers (all ships offer a hand-held hair dryer in each stateroom)
    • Shavers
    • The following electrical appliances will be collected for inspection by the Chief Electrician and if approved, will be returned for use onboard the ship.
      • Baby Monitors
      • Humidifiers
      • Portable fans
      • White Noise/Sleep Machine
  • Electronics
    • Ham radios
    • Metal detectors
    • Streaming Devices (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.)
  • Food/Beverage related items
  • Hookah pipes
  • Inflatable Mattresses
  • Metal Detectors
  • Musical Instruments
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers
  • Pets
  • Power tools and toolboxes (except those utilized by vendors providing services)
  • Remote-controlled devices
    • Airplanes
    • Drones
    • Helicopters
    • Other toy vehicles (cars, etc.)
  • Sporting Equipment
    • Archery equipment
    • Baseball and cricket bats
    • Fishing gear
    • Hammocks
    • Hockey and lacrosse sticks
    • Pool cues
    • Ski poles
  • Exceptions for Sporting Equipment
    • Golf Clubs may be brought onboard and stored in a Guest’s stateroom
    • Baseballs, basketballs, footballs, soccer balls and volley balls may be brought onboard, stored in Guest’s staterooms and used off the ship in ports of call
  • Wheeled recreational equipment and transport devices
    • Any footwear with wheels (i.e. Heely’s type shoes)
    • Bicycles
    • Hoverboards
    • Inline & roller skates
    • Scooters
    • Segways
    • Skateboards
    • Wagons (collapsible wagons are allowed)
    • Guests with a mobility disability that requires the use of a mobility aid should contact Special Services prior to sailing. Wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels and devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied are not allowable.
Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to seize and secure any item deemed to be dangerous or pose a security or safety risk.

• 4 weeks later...