3 day Wonder vs Dream

cfand3boyz

Hi! They have the Wonder for $2,400 and the Dream for $3,100 during the time that we can go. Is the Dream worth the extra money for a 3 day cruise? If so, what are some of the perks on the Dream besides size? We would love a 4 day cruise ($3,400) but that is really pushing it with our budget since we plan to do Universal park for a couple of days after the cruise. Technically, we could afford it but we just returned from an extended trip and we have several trips planned before this one so we would like to keep the cost down. However, if there is a huge difference between the Dream/Wonder we might consider switching ships. This will be our second cruise but first time on Disney. Deposit is due tonight for the Wonder so I need to make a decision. Thanks....

Personally, I like the Dream bc of the Aquaduck. It also has the Bibbity, Bobbity Boutique. If you like upscale adult restaurants, while the Wonder has Palo, I don't think it has Remy, which the Dream does have. Having said all that, I know a lot of people who would choose the classic ships over the newer ones any day of the week. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We strongly prefer the classic ships (Magic and Wonder), but that is our family, our ages.

The Wonder is newly refurbished-new restaurants, etc. I believe they added the BBB as it is a big money maker. Sorry, don't know if they added the AquaDunk (different from Duck) like they did on the Magic.

The Dream has a few more kid things--Midship Detective Agency, the AquaDuck water ride, and LOTS of crowds. In our experience, the Dream has a lot more unsupervised kids running around. The Wonder is smaller and more intimate. Both have 3 MDRs as well as pool deck restaurants. Dream has Palo and Remy for adult only dining while Wonder has only Palo....but on a 3 night cruise, I'd skip adult only dining!

On a 3 night cruise, you have only 2 1/2 days on the ship. I'd prefer the Wonder no matter what, but given the price difference, I'd certainly take the Wonder. $700/25% price increase for a few minimal additional features? Not in my world.

I forgot to mention, with all that being said, I would not pay $3100 for a 3 days cruise. I am not sure I would even pay $2400, depending on how many people that included. We are a family of 3 and that is pretty high for us for a 3 day. We never cruise in the summertime on Disney for that reason.

I forgot to mention, with all that being said, I would not pay $3100 for a 3 days cruise. I am not sure I would even pay $2400, depending on how many people that included. We are a family of 3 and that is pretty high for us for a 3 day. We never cruise in the summertime on Disney for that reason.

Disney prices have become insane in the last few years. On several occasions, we've done 7 nights for less than this (2 people). But those fares have not been available on DCL recently......

I would not do a 3 night cruise (yes, I've done 2 of them), but at least you are paring it with your Universal trip. My logic is that with plane fare, transportation to the port, etc. it needs to be worth the time!

When we started cruising Disney in 2013, we paid about $1300 for 3 people (my daughter being 3 at the time). Today we would be lucky to get out of 3 day cruise paying $1800. Three day cruises are definitely a tease. You are just getting used to your surroundings and all the things they offer and then boom! they boot you off the boat. :) The only reason we would take 3 day cruises is if we just had to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and wanted to cruise. Living in Florida, you can do that last minute type of stuff. :)

Thank you for the replies. Part of the reason the prices are so high is because we will be traveling during Spring Break (2018). We are limited to Spring and Summer due to my son's schedule. Anyway,I decided to go ahead and book the 3 day cruise on the Wonder. We have been on a 3 day cruise before (family reunion on Carnival). I remember wanting at least one more day on the ship. Well, at least we will finally have an opportunity to go on a Disney Cruise. Hopefully, between Disney/Universal my son will still have a blast. Thanks again!

We did a Universal/dream combo trip last February and it was a great vacation. I suggest not getting off the boat in Nassau though. That way you can get more out of the ship. I've been on the Wonder too and I did feel it was a lot calmer and less insane than the Dream even though the Dream has more "stuff"

You and your family will have a great time. Sure, three nights isn't very long, but you'll have plenty of time to get familiar with the ship and see what DCL is about. I think you're better off going for a short cruise and wanting more than taking a longer cruise and looking forward to getting home. You can always come back.

My family includes smaller kids. I'd say the biggest advantage I've seen for the bigger ships (only been on the Dream) is the on-demand video in the cabins and the magic portholes for inside cabins (little kids go crazy over these). The biggest advantages for the smaller ships are splash zones around the pool area and the variety of food choices on the pool deck. That's just one family's opinion, and it will vary based on kids' ages.

My wife and I are both big fans of the shawarma station, which I think is only on the Magic and Wonder. Otherwise, yes, much of the food is identical but perhaps differently placed.

20+ cruises on the Magic and I don't know what you are talking about. If this is the area originally called "Goofy's Galley" which served salads, wraps, and paninis as well as fruit and cookies, all of these items are available on the Fantasy. If it is something else, feel free to explain it to me.

20+ cruises on the Magic and I don't know what you are talking about. If this is the area originally called "Goofy's Galley" which served salads' date=' wraps, and paninis as well as fruit and cookies, all of these items are available on the Fantasy. If it is something else, feel free to explain it to me.[/quote']

Thank you! I do feel free to explain.

There is a station (center of the ship, rear funnel) a level below the line area for the big slide. It faces the splash zone, and I suspect it's a post-renovation addition. One side of the area serves shawarmas and the other is more of a burger/dog stand. The shawarmas are on the port side, and the dogs on starboard. I don't know if it has a name. If so, it's subtle (not like Flo's etc.). We had them on the Magic and loved them. When later on the Dream, we looked, but couldn't find them. We found them again on the renovated Wonder. A couple years ago, we didn't see them on the Wonder (but we didn't know to look). They are delicious. The hardest part is figuring out which of the very many sauces work well together. The CMs are happy to help.

What is a shawarma?

OK' date=' I know where Pluto's Dog House is, and I'm scratching my head as to what is next to it.....will have to ask daughter.[/quote']

sha·war·ma

SHəˈwärmə/

noun

roasted meat, especially when cooked on a revolving spit and shaved for serving in sandwiches.

What is a shawarma?

OK' date=' I know where Pluto's Dog House is, and I'm scratching my head as to what is next to it.....will have to ask daughter.[/quote']

Before going on the Magic, I hadn't had one. It's a deal where they have a spit of meat (lamb or chicken) and shave off slices and to put in a pita. You then top with salad items and sauces (creamy, spicy, mild, whatever - lots of options). They are a lot like souvlaki and gyros - indistinguishable in my book, but I'm sure there are cultural differences that I don't know. On DCL they seem to go with shawarma, and I guess Mickey knows best.

I recently booked the Wonder for a 3 day cruise when she repo's to the west coast.

It will just be me, 71, and my 47 year old niece.

She is a Disney maniac, but at age 47, she was just diagnosed with ALS, and it's progressing rapidly. :loudcry:

DH said to spare no expense because this is her once in a lifetime experience.

As 2 adults, who don't walk well, what should we be sure to plan for on a 3 dayer?

Thanks,

Patti

I would have called it bbq (which here is served with various sauces). No, I didn't see this on the Fantasy or Dream, but Dream was a long time ago.

For the lady above who is 71 and cruising with a 47 year old Disney freak....I'd stay on the ship and enjoy all things Disney. You really only have 2 1/2 days on a 3 night cruise. Make advance reservations for the character meet and greets that offer them (typically Frozen characters)...yes, you are adults, but that's not a reason to not play with the characters. Do Palo brunch--that way you can experience adult dining but not miss one of the main dining rooms. For quiet times, enjoy the adult only areas of the ship--we love to sip a beverage in the area just outside the Cove Cafe. Consider a spa experience. I did the "spa villa for 2" with daughter as a special treat once (you have to be comfortable undressing in front of each other for this!) Do it near sunset if you can for an amazing view. See all the shows.

Consider carefully whether you need to book and HA cabin--they are hard to get later if things progress! And since my daughter has been diagnosed with a progressive, debilitating disease, we only book balcony cabins....there are days when getting out of bed can be about all she can manage, and the ocean breezes are nice.

If there is any way you can arrange it, consider a 4 night cruise--it makes a huge difference!

I would have called it bbq (which here is served with various sauces). No' date=' I didn't see this on the Fantasy or Dream, but Dream was a long time ago.[/quote']

It's not bbq. In other words, a shawarma would never be served at Cookies on CC. This is distinctively a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern dish. They are excellent if you can navigate the myriad of sauces to suit your palate.

It's not bbq. In other words, a shawarma would never be served at Cookies on CC. This is distinctively a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern dish. They are excellent if you can navigate the myriad of sauces to suit your palate.

I get that you don't mean something cooked in sauce...but it is not uncommon here to have pans of shaved meat served with various sauces that you can try. We've had this for at least 10 years at an annual conference--the caterer just calls it "southern BBQ." They serve it with sloppy joe buns, but I usually eat just the meat to save a few calories for the "pah." (that's what they call pie!) Same or different, I get the idea...and no, didn't see it on the Fantasy.

We did a Universal/dream combo trip last February and it was a great vacation. I suggest not getting off the boat in Nassau though. That way you can get more out of the ship. I've been on the Wonder too and I did feel it was a lot calmer and less insane than the Dream even though the Dream has more "stuff"

Okay that is great to hear from someone that did that combo (Disney Cruise/Universal). We thought about going to Disney afterwards but my son has not been to Universal in a few years. Our cruise does not stop in Nassau. Our stop is at Castaway Cay.

Before going on the Magic, I hadn't had one. It's a deal where they have a spit of meat (lamb or chicken) and shave off slices and to put in a pita. You then top with salad items and sauces (creamy, spicy, mild, whatever - lots of options). They are a lot like souvlaki and gyros - indistinguishable in my book, but I'm sure there are cultural differences that I don't know. On DCL they seem to go with shawarma, and I guess Mickey knows best.

On Magic, these are at Pete's Boiler Bites. Burgers, hot dogs & fries on one side and gyros on the other. The sign said gyros not shawarma. Lamb or chicken with a pita or tortilla.