Okay...It's been a week. Now what?

Ourhappyplace

So they sent us an email last week saying they should have a new itinerary for us "within the next week". And I understand that the 10/31 and 11/11 sailings of the Gem have their new itineraries as of last Friday. At what point in time do they just say here you go? When do they finally get off their thumbs and give everyone their new itineraries? If they can't get ports secured for my cruise, then just let me cancel it so I can book a different cruise before it's too late to get a decent cabin on another ship. I mean come on. It's been a month already. It's time for them to crap or get off the pot. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think all of us with Gem sailings are reaching frustration level. I don't sail till 1/3 and feel anxious. Part of the problem is lack of communication from Norwegian. We got an email on 9/18 with promise of contact within two weeks. Nothing on ports or changes but emails to sell insurance and upgrades right on time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I'd say if those you menrtioned above got theirs last Friday, you are probably a week (maybe just 1/2 week) away from getting your itinerary. It probably isn't as easy as it seems from the outside. I'm sure there are ports affected by the hurricane that are saying they will be ready to receive cruise ships and the cruise lines have to decide if they want to send their ships there. Also, there are only so many ports in the Caribbean and a number of cruise lines are jockeying for them and I'd bet that the ports have the upper hand in scheduling which ships they will contract with.

I am sure it is very frustrating (I'd be frustrated as well), but unfortunately you are in a position of wait and see. Hope when you get on the ship for your cruise, you put all this behind you and have a great cruise.

We are on your sailing and the cruise will not be cancelled. NLH Arizona is correct that they are getting mixed information from the islands. Note that the 2 itineraries before ours stop at St Thomas which a month ago I would have thought impossible. And Sint Maarten/St Martin has been saying they will be ready for cruise ships soon. NCL would like to keep as much of the original itinerary intact as possible. If they don't have to travel as far south as they are for the 10/31 and 11/11 sailings then they can save fuel. But they need to make sure there are excursions. They depend a lot on their hired port agents to keep them informed.

Come join the roll call. We have an active group on there https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427199

I understand the logistics must be a nightmare not only for Norwegian but all of the ports and other cruise lines as well BUT if this were any other industry in the world, they would have allowed at least other options than sit and wait and we'll get to you whenever we are good and darned ready. And oh by the way screw the concept of customer service. We as a company don't think you warrant at least frequent updates on what is going on with your product you purchased from us on which you have spent thousands of dollars. I don't begrudge Norwegian for their logistics problems. I have a problem with lack of communication and options. If Norwegian would have been upfront with all of us and said we are having problems acquiring new ports so would you like to alter your reservations to cruise on another of our ships or cruise at a later date? I am sure many of us on the Gem would've either said no thanks I'll just wait OR that is a great offer please allow me to do that. But instead they have decided to slow roll everything until the point of utter frustration for all involved including their own employees who are being barraged with calls from very angry customers. Unless something huge comes along and changes my mind, this is the first and LAST cruise I will take with Norwegian. I am a huge believer in customer service and it makes a big difference as to whether or not I frequent businesses more than once.

However, what ever the itinerary winds up being, my family and I are going to try and have a great vacation. I mean it could be worse......we could be at work!!! :D

I know my frustration actually increased after seeing the first two Gem cruises get their new itineraries while the rest of us on 2017 Gem cruises have to wait for who knows how long since the communication timetable they put in their passenger letters for updates don't seem to matter. I wish they'd announced all the 2017 Gem reroutes (like they did Escape cruises) instead of slowly rolling out the changes. If it's about mixed signals from the islands on if they'll be ready, then I think someone at NCL needs to take a firm stand about the rest of the 2017 cruises and then revisit speaking with those at the hard hit islands after the new year.

I'm with you in terms of frustration. And it truly just adds to frustration to hear that we need to be patient and understanding (even though it's true and we do, doesn't make it an easier pill to swallow!). Our cruise isn't until January and I'm livid, I can only imagine how those who are sailing in Nov and Dec feel! I agree, it wouldn't kill them to communicate. It really just is a crappy situation all the way around.

We are on your sailing and the cruise will not be cancelled. NLH Arizona is correct that they are getting mixed information from the islands. Note that the 2 itineraries before ours stop at St Thomas which a month ago I would have thought impossible. And Sint Maarten/St Martin has been saying they will be ready for cruise ships soon. NCL would like to keep as much of the original itinerary intact as possible. If they don't have to travel as far south as they are for the 10/31 and 11/11 sailings then they can save fuel. But they need to make sure there are excursions. They depend a lot on their hired port agents to keep them informed.

Come join the roll call. We have an active group on there https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427199

Everyone keeps saying this but it didn't stop ncl from putting out new itineraries for the Escape and other ships through to March of 18 so why not the Gem?

I understand the frustration, and personally would be suffering some sort of anxiety if I was in this situation.

The islands of STT and SXM have indicated that they'll be ready for ships on or about 11/15/17. RCCL has already committed to start calling on these ports around this time. Though, the articles I've seen stress the immense logistics of making sure there are enough shore excursion providers and safe places for pax to visit. On STT, there is a rush to clean up Magen's Bay and the roads that go up over the hills to get there so there is a beach available for passengers.

I think the dates that people are discussing are right on the cusp of when these islands could reopen for port calls. So if there is hesitation on NCL's part, I can sure understand why. I know it does not help anyone's planning process, but given the unprecedented damage these storms have caused to the ports, and the cruise industry in general, a period of uncertainty is undoubtedly understandable.

I just looked at RCCL, Carnival and Princess and they all 3 have extensive information on itinerary changes and port conditions and progress. I don't understand why they can have this information available to all of their customers but Norwegian seems to find it impossible to do the same. Frustrating to say the least and bordering on insanity. I certainly will think twice about booking another cruise with them.

I just looked at RCCL, Carnival and Princess and they all 3 have extensive information on itinerary changes and port conditions and progress. I don't understand why they can have this information available to all of their customers but Norwegian seems to find it impossible to do the same. Frustrating to say the least and bordering on insanity. I certainly will think twice about booking another cruise with them.

I am with you. At this point, I can no longer be "patient".

Hope you find "ourhappyplace" soon, I certainly understand everyone's frustration, but don't you think the cruiselines might just might be hoping they can get back do the original itinerary or close to it?

Hence the last minute not sure yet! It's been an unprecedented hurricane season.

No one is happy about it cruise lines, passengers, and you can throw in employees ( I'm sure they are getting you ruined MY cruise on a daily basis).

Hope you find "ourhappyplace" soon, I certainly understand everyone's frustration, but don't you think the cruiselines might just might be hoping they can get back do the original itinerary or close to it?

Hence the last minute not sure yet! It's been an unprecedented hurricane season.

No one is happy about it cruise lines, passengers, and you can throw in employees ( I'm sure they are getting you ruined MY cruise on a daily basis).

I don’t expect a definitive answer (though that would be nice).....I expect COMMUNICATION....something....anything. A grunt, a howl, swearing....anything. Hello, NCL...are you alive in there?

@ramdoggiesmom. That would be a great big YES!!!!!! We have paid a lot of money for a product that we thought was one thing but now don't have the slightest idea what we are getting. If, as I stated above, all of the other major players in the cruise market can communicate so well with their customers, then why can't Norwegian????? I mean for goodness sakes. Someone needs to make a decision and say this is what we're doing through the end of the year. And I keep hearing about how hard it is to arrange ports....blah, blah, blah. Everyone else has done it. Why are we left wondering what our vacation is going to be? We can't schedule any type of amenities without knowing where we are going. But by golly they have no problem asking me to spend more money with them by asking me to bid on upgrades. But the stupidest one is having someone email me wanting to know if I want to go ahead and schedule my excursions. Oh sure I would love to schedule them if I only knew where I was going.

I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago I am on the nov 11 Gem sailing All i can say is try and be patient they will get it to you! I am very happy with the revised itinerary it was definitely worth the wait!

I'm on the 12/2 sailing on the Gem and this is beyond ridiculous.

I can be patient and understanding but don't make false promises. If you don't know what is going on then say we are sorry and are working on it and will get info to you as soon as we can. Don't send an email promising to tell us in 2 weeks and then a month later send another email saying we will know for sure in a week then stay quiet.

In any other business if you promise a deadline you have to keep it or at least communicate effectively as to what is going on. They sure had no issue keeping us to our final payment deadline!!!

The cruise will be wonderful no matter what but this is awful!

For the most part, I do think passengers on the heavily affected cruises have been patient and understanding. But the longer this waiting game goes on, the longer that patience is stretched and people stop listening to platitudes. What is the hold up? Why have other lines with ships sailing during this time secured ports and/or have more frequently updated their passengers on what is going on with their itineraries?

I am starting to think those on 2017 Gem cruises after 11/11 are on hold because NCL is trying to keep the original ports instead of re-routing us, which I feel very mixed emotions about TBH since most of the islands hit have little to no electricity nor drinking water and are still very much in recovery mode.

I would love for my cruise to mirror the 10/31 Gem cruise. I wish NCL had just gone ahead and posted new itineraries for all the 2017 Gem cruises. This slow rollout plus guessing game is exhausting my good graces toward NCL.

Agree with everyone's comments - We are on the Dec 23 cruise and no communication from NCL - even wrote to the executive office, received an e-mail that said I would get a response back within 3 business days, and guess what, no response. Even after I followed up. To add another voice (in case anyone is reading at NCL), communication is what is desired. We knew weather might be an issue - we have had island changes in the past, or the inability to tender due to crazy seas - but nothing at all - this is the most frustrating. This is scheduled to be our 12th NCL cruise, and this is the worst we have been treated/communicated with. Trying to figure out what other lines to try next - RCCL didn't impress like NCL. Looking forward to our mystery cruise, regardless.

As to waiting to see if the Islands are ready - a few years ago, we had a stop at an Island that had had a hurricane blow through six months earlier - and most of the excursions were pretty much nothing to see or do - and the one or two that were actually functioning well were oversold. If that is how the islands we may be stopping at are impacted, then even the excursions with the original itinerary will be a challenge.

even wrote to the executive office, received an e-mail that said I would get a response back within 3 business days, and guess what, no response.

I sent emails today to Ewart and Stuart. I likely won't get an answer but I felt better saying something about how the communication has been about this situation. The Gem is the ginger stepchild, I guess.