water in November and sea sickness

MysticMelody

Afternoon everybody ,

we are sailing in 3 weeks to Bahamas (Breakaway nov 12). I sailed before on (RCCL) and I was sea sick for 1 day (not a pleasant experience).

Now, we are sailing with my parents ( 70 y.o) and my daughter -7 y.o (they are first timers).

Background: My mom has never experienced sea sickness in her life. However my dad is a different story (he gets car sick quite often). My little girl has never sailed before. So

I am concerned about sea sickness among my family. What can I do to prevent it? in my elderly dad and my 7 y.o daughter? Pills, patches? There are multiple options which one works best for you?

BTW: My parents are staying in a mini-suite Mid ship. Deck 13. We are staying deck 12 mid ship.

Hi, I just ordered sea bands and Bonine and Dramanine (went overboard) little bit. But Just in case I want to be prepared

It is also recommended (at least from what I've seen on these boards) to start taking the meds a day or so before sailing if you think you might get sick. This way it builds up in your system a bit. They also have patches that you can put behind your ear that I have seen people wearing. You might need to get those from a doctor tho. For your 7 year old I would highly recommend calling their pediatrician.

There are other things that help a bit too, like ginger. They should sell ginger pills in with the vitamins. There are also ginger candies. My wife used those sometimes during pregnancy to help with nausea.

We will be on this sailing too. If you want go ahead and join our roll call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2441817&page=24

I have experienced seasick and get motion sickness regularly. I swear by the Natural Source Ginger Gravol. I take it daily, and it does not cause drowsiness at all. I also carry the patches, bands etc just in case, but have not had to use them.

The other main thing about seasickness and motion sickness is to ensure to eat small snacks etc regularly - an empty stomach can contribute to feeling ill. I find keeping some crackers or other bland type food available helps. Believe me, I will be eating something before getting in a tender boat for sure!

Have a great vacation

Bellyflopchamp (funny name) and all others thank you so much for your suggestions. I ordered a lot from amazon. :) I really hope we will not use it. But i would rather be prepared. :)

Most of this stuff does not work well if you wait until you are sick. They are all preventative, not feel better after.

Midship stateroom is good for motion and Deck 12 or 13 isn't too high - BA is a big, mega-ship and can handle moderate seas well, 10' to 15' waves are fine as you'll hardly feel anything.

If seas get unusually rough, avoid the higher pool/buffet or sun deck, stay indoors & on the lower deck. The smaller MDR and O'Sheehans are better for meals, avoid spicy hot entrees to further upset the bloated stomach ... ginger ale, green apples & saltine crackers are good. Hold on to the railings while walking around for safety.

The transition from the colder weather into warmer fronts do sometimes result in rougher seas for a few hours, usually along the Carolinas - mostly not a big deal, depending on the course/heading & speed. Returning home & northbound, it is usually further out & away from land in deeper ocean water - thus, odds of rougher seas.

I absolutely swear by Ginger!

On Amazon I ordered Ginger People Gin Gins Hard Candy. They are small, individually wrapped candies, 100% all natural ( which is great for kids), contain 30% actual ginger... not ginger flavor, no interactions to worry about if drinking alchol. Every time I felt even a little queasy I popped one of these in my mouth and felt better within a minute or 2.

Someone in our party gets motion sickness with everything! Cars, flying, boats etc. Even with medication. She thought I was crazy when I made her try these. NOT ONCE did she get sick our entire vacation. First time ever for her! Worth a try at only a little over $3 a bag.

Hi, I just ordered sea bands and Bonine and Dramanine (went overboard) little bit. But Just in case I want to be prepared

so glad you joined the roll call. i'm also on the same cruise.

i bought a bunch of meds myself just in case... drowsy and nondrowsy. i also keep reading about green apples curbing symptoms of sea sickness somehow.. so i will make it a point to grab a few from the buffet to keep on hand. i also heard that guest services gives out dramamine as well.

I get seasick and am allergic to the patch. Have found Queze-Ease, a blend of oils which you sniff, works great. Bought it on Amazon. The OTC stuff works great but could interfere with prescription medications and are not recommended or limited with alcoholic beverages

We also take the ginger capsules. They are less than 5.00 bottle in vitamin section of Walmart.

Another tip I learned is eate apples. Especially the peeling. I have ask them to slice then for us.

We have taken grandkids on at lease. 8-9 cruises and they have never gotten sea sick even with real high seas.the refuse to take anything but do eat apples.

Avoid over the counter home remedies. Get a prescription patch from your doctor.

The patch is expensive and some react badly. As one who has suffered motion sickness since childhood I can say Bonine/meclizine works very well indeed.

Canadians are lucky that the patch is OTC for them.