Wine packages - Are they worth the hassle?

ShipsInBergen

Thanks for this great info! That looks like just the ticket. I'm not really looking for a cost saving per ml (though a bargain is always nice); really just the convenience of making a single order and purchase and then enjoying dinner without the hassle of looking for a wine waiter throughout, etc.

Hopefully there will be something on that list that slips down nicely with dinner in the MDR :)

Thanks also to others for your input and advice. It's all building the excitement for my first HAL cruise!

You could also buy by the bottle for dinner if you will mostly eat in the same venue and then buy by the glass or carafe at other locations...then they would store the bottle and bring it out the next night.

They even do this with my evian water

Hi All,

Looking at options for wine on an upcoming 7-night Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam. I'll be solo for this one. No unlimited drinks package.

The 4- and 6-bottle packages available online look like they might fit the bill for me, but my question is, does this lead to excessive delays in them 'tracking down' my bottle if I want to enjoy drinks at dinner, then also in speciality venues/the buffet/poolside/in bars & lounges during the evening?

Would I be better off just buying wine by the glass as and where I want it, saving time/confusion?

Also, can anyone confirm whether they sell half-bottle carafes of wine in the main dining room on board? That's usually about right for me with a dinner.

Apologies for the lengthy question; I know there are numerous threads on the pros vs cons of wine packages, but I can't find much info on the practicality of having bar staff chasing round the ship to locate my specific bottle each time I fancy a glass...

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

We've never had a problem with various wine packages (6 bottles for a short cruise and 24/48 bottles offered on GV's / & our one and only WC thus far) over the years.

First, let me be clear. The packages, IMO, are designed for the dining venues (MDR, PG, etc.) & cabin use. Having a glass of wine in a cocktail lounge or around the pool utilizing the 'package' would not really work due to the mere logistics for the staff.

Second, if purchasing a package on-line (we do all the time) be sure to have a hard copy print out of your purchase. Unfortunately, sometimes, the left hand (your ship) doesn't know what the right hand (Seattle HAL headquarters) has transacted. It's so much easier for the beverage folks if you have a hard copy of the purchase (regardless of package type, single bottle purchase, etc.) if things get 'mixed up'.

Third, you're certainly able to take back a bottle of remaining wine back to you cabin to enjoy there or, even, order another bottle (as part of the package) to take back. However, filing a wine glass in your cabin and going to a cocktail lounge or pool side venue isn't really a 'class act' IMO. The drinks on HAL, including glasses of wine pricing, isn't really all that bad.

And as mentioned, if your Mariner status provides a 25-50% discount on the package you will pay full price on-line but the 25-50% discount should show up on your statement while aboard as a OBC or sorts that can be used for the HSC (hotel service charge, aka, auto-tip, other adult beverages, massages, etc.).

Depending on your dining timing and habits I would make your wine steward your 'best friend'. Just be sure to notify that good person that you will return to your regular (Fixed or Anytime) or different dining venue the following night and the bottle of wine (whether new or partially filled) will be ready for your enjoyment when you arrive.

Lastly, on the longer voyages, depending on your tastes (whatever quality you desire & the larger packages available at the time) you really can save a few bucks when pricing per bottle is calculated utilizing Mariner status. I dare say you can have a 'good bottle' of wine with dinner sometimes paying less than the current corkage fee (we're talking large packages).

Just going on-line to the HAL site will give you an idea of the wines available at the various price points.

Good luck.

Be well & safe travels.

Bob:)

Good post by prescottbob.

I'll just agree to disagree on a couple ot things.

You can have your bottle wherever you want. You can either carry it from the MDR (not our cup of tea) or you can send one to the bar where you will be frequenting - whether it be the Ocean Bar, Lido, whatever. It will be stored there with your cabin number and saves the wait time for a drink.

While we order HAL's wines at dinner, we also happily bring on some wine (hey we're going to be in Portugal, Spain & France) to have here and there and happily pay the corkage fee. HAL's wines are ok, but when you have access to some pretty fabulous ones, the corkage fee is well worth it. But that's subjective of course.

Bottom line...you can use your wine package elsewhere IF you want. And you can take it where you want.

Not a hassle at all nor complicated if that's what you want to do.