Quantum Of The Seas

Hi all, just back off Quantum of the Seas short new year cruise. Any questions from a UK point of view please fire away.....:cool:

Curious about the main dinner arrangement on Quantum. Is it like the other RC ships, My Time Dining and two fixed "traditional" seatings?

Curious about the main dinner arrangement on Quantum. Is it like the other RC ships, My Time Dining and two fixed "traditional" seatings?

Last year, (2017), they did not have assigned seating, only assigned times. I ate in the specialty restaurants and/or Coastal Kitchen. It was open seating, but from what others told me on the ship, they had an area reserved for "foreigners" and there was only a small percentage of them. Many opted to eat in the specialty restaurants instead. I'm pretty sure, there was not MTD at all. It's also not Dynamic dining either. More like just show up, and eat at one of the two set times. Kind of imagine that you are on a cruise ship, with 95% of the passengers that have never cruised before, and trying to educate the group with a new concept, that is not generally heard of in Asia. After awhile, I think RCCL gave up on the assigned seats and tables. Important thing was that if you were a "foreigner" on the ship, you were well taken care of.

Last year, (2017), they did not have assigned seating, only assigned times. I ate in the specialty restaurants and/or Coastal Kitchen. It was open seating, but from what others told me on the ship, they had an area reserved for "foreigners" and there was only a small percentage of them. Many opted to eat in the specialty restaurants instead. I'm pretty sure, there was not MTD at all. It's also not Dynamic dining either. More like just show up, and eat at one of the two set times. Kind of imagine that you are on a cruise ship, with 95% of the passengers that have never cruised before, and trying to educate the group with a new concept, that is not generally heard of in Asia. After awhile, I think RCCL gave up on the assigned seats and tables. Important thing was that if you were a "foreigner" on the ship, you were well taken care of.

Interesting, so sort of like they do breakfast (no assigned tables), but with assigned times.

Interesting, so sort of like they do breakfast (no assigned tables), but with assigned times.

A number of things were good, for foreigners because of the differences on how things are handled. Example, When I arrived by taxi, he stopped in the parking area, and a porter came straight to the taxi once we got out. (it was not pull up to a curb, but an actual parking area. They took us straight to the VIP/Priority/foreigner check in area, which was different from the rest (that looked extremely chaotic). We also had a line to wait in prior getting into the terminal (new one is being built, so many things were outside under tents). The line was only for Foreigners and Gold and above. Basically everyone not Chinese. Inside to get seapass cards, separate line for just us also. What was amazingly different was that most guest did not pre-complete anything. The onboard accounts were done on the ship, with a separate line for completion, but it was set up with a huge amount of customer service reps taking care of it. Also different lines for setting up various items. We passed all of them, but it was interesting. I was told and I thought it was odd, but on the land, they can't set up the accounts because of some issue with some laws. On the ship, it is USD, so they needed to do everything on the ship.

Important things on that ship, was do everything on line, and just follow the other foreigners. Boarding and meals were chaotic at times, but yet, if you were not Chinese, you were handled differently every step of the way.

A number of things were good, for foreigners because of the differences on how things are handled. Example, When I arrived by taxi, he stopped in the parking area, and a porter came straight to the taxi once we got out. (it was not pull up to a curb, but an actual parking area. They took us straight to the VIP/Priority/foreigner check in area, which was different from the rest (that looked extremely chaotic). We also had a line to wait in prior getting into the terminal (new one is being built, so many things were outside under tents). The line was only for Foreigners and Gold and above. Basically everyone not Chinese. Inside to get seapass cards, separate line for just us also. What was amazingly different was that most guest did not pre-complete anything. The onboard accounts were done on the ship, with a separate line for completion, but it was set up with a huge amount of customer service reps taking care of it. Also different lines for setting up various items. We passed all of them, but it was interesting. I was told and I thought it was odd, but on the land, they can't set up the accounts because of some issue with some laws. On the ship, it is USD, so they needed to do everything on the ship.

Important things on that ship, was do everything on line, and just follow the other foreigners. Boarding and meals were chaotic at times, but yet, if you were not Chinese, you were handled differently every step of the way.

Interesting. Did you find Chinese entrees on the MDR menus?

Interesting. Did you find Chinese entrees on the MDR menus?

Comfort food section was changed to Asian dishes. Specialty restaurants had no changes. Windjammer, had the most changes. Breakfast had some Asian inspired dishes. Asparagus was not available, and replaced with bok choy. Johnny Rockets changed to Panda noodles. For the most part, the menu was the same menu with some small changes. You were able to find pizza, the dog house, and two-seventy was not changed. It was nice to have some menu changes.

Bar menu was basically the same, but the domestic beer selection of Tsingtao was added, Tiger and Asara was also added, but I think some others were removed.

Comfort food section was changed to Asian dishes. Specialty restaurants had no changes. Windjammer, had the most changes. Breakfast had some Asian inspired dishes. Asparagus was not available, and replaced with bok choy. Johnny Rockets changed to Panda noodles. For the most part, the menu was the same menu with some small changes. You were able to find pizza, the dog house, and two-seventy was not changed. It was nice to have some menu changes.

Bar menu was basically the same, but the domestic beer selection of Tsingtao was added, Tiger and Asara was also added, but I think some others were removed.

Thank-you.

• 3 months later...
No extra charge.

I wish someone would clarify this, we are sailing on Ovation next month, on the cruise planner it's showing a charge for ifly and northstar but I've read other reports saying no charge for them, Strange for RC to charge for something that was for free.

Agreed, extra charge is currently standard on sailings out of China.

Talking with an officer, I asked the question. So here is the answer. The ship, and cruise including just about everything on the ship, is somewhat price controlled. Generally speaking, you have a cheaper cruise. Plus, bar services will not bring in the normal amounts of money. So, if they offer a cheaper cruise, and have less money coming in from booze, and pictures etc, than they need to find other ways to make money. In the US, everyone knows what bumper cars are. In China, this is a big novelty item. (What, you mean I can crash into each other?!!). So big lines.

Don't look at it so much as a negative, but rather a positive. Because on one hand, you get a cheaper cruise, and on the other line, no lines at the bar. Heck, the bartender will love you and know you by name.

What did you do regarding visas? Did u spend some time in China?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get a 10 year visa. The cost, plus the company to handle the transactions, and shipping etc, ran about $240.00. (I think the visa was about $140.00 with about $100.00 in processing fees). We spent 5 days in China.

I wish someone would clarify this, we are sailing on Ovation next month, on the cruise planner it's showing a charge for ifly and northstar but I've read other reports saying no charge for them, Strange for RC to charge for something that was for free.

Might be a different policy on different ships.

Might be a different policy on different ships.

When I enquired about this on Symphony last week, definitely a charge on anthem out of shanghai, didnt get charged last time on ovation.. they also charging for North Star on shanghai sailings

When I enquired about this on Symphony last week, definitely a charge on anthem out of shanghai, didnt get charged last time on ovation.. they also charging for North Star on shanghai sailings

Sorry Quantum

• 1 month later...
My family will be sailing on the Quantum this October. We are Chinese-Americans. Will we be standing in the "foreigners" or "Chinese" line?

Probably up to you - fake some southern accent and they'll put you in the foreigner line.

• 3 months later...

Wonder if charges will apply for our cruise next year. Technically a repositioning cruise and surely with more international passengers.