Quantum from China

Hi, I have read on here that the China sailings only let suite guests use the solarium can anyone confirm this as it would be a big deal for me. If so how stricken do they enforce this rule. Any other information would be appreciated as even my ta doesn’t seem to have much.

When we were on Quantum out of Shanghai last October it was the case and was strictly enforced. You had to scan your seapass card to get into the Solarium and it wouldn't open the doors unless it was a suite seapass card (junior or higher). In theory you could wait around for somebody else to enter or leave and slip in, but it might draw suspicion to just be sitting at the doors obviously waiting.

Hi, I have read on here that the China sailings only let suite guests use the solarium can anyone confirm this as it would be a big deal for me. If so how stricken do they enforce this rule. Any other information would be appreciated as even my ta doesn’t seem to have much.

Been pretty consistent Threads and Roll Calls I been reading. Checking cards.. Sorry...

When we were on Quantum out of Shanghai last October it was the case and was strictly enforced. You had to scan your seapass card to get into the Solarium and it wouldn't open the doors unless it was a suite seapass card (junior or higher). In theory you could wait around for somebody else to enter or leave and slip in, but it might draw suspicion to just be sitting at the doors obviously waiting.

The JS are included....usually their not "suite/sweet" enough.

The JS are included....usually their not "suite/sweet" enough.

Yeah. We were in a JS that cruise, and while almost everything else was "Gold card suites" which doesn't include JS, the Solarium was Gold or Silver (which did include JS)

Not sure if that's the norm on the China sailings or not, just our data point of one cruise

well seems like RCI is mean to the Asian market.

Go on the Anthem and you will be treated much better and all adults can enjoy the wonderful solarium and the cascading pool that one can SIT in and the Big bench swing. And the Northstar is free on the Anthem too ( I think so)

well seems like RCI is mean to the Asian market.

Go on the Anthem and you will be treated much better and all adults can enjoy the wonderful solarium and the cascading pool that one can SIT in and the Big bench swing. And the Northstar is free on the Anthem too ( I think so)

Nothing to do with being nice or mean, there are just some things that work in the American market but won't work in the Chinese market specifically or in Asia in general. It's actually interesting to see how things can change depending on the passenger makeup; we did a 3 night and a 7 night cruise back to back in Singapore. The 3 night was probably 90% locals or people from the region. The 7 night was the opposite; very few locals and a lot more people from Australia and Europe. The two cruises felt quite different from one another, just because of the clientele. And they were both quite different from the cruise we took in Shanghai when the vast majority of the passengers were Chinese.

Hi, We were on the Ovation last week from Hong Kong and the solarium was open to all (except children), it was always very easy to get a lounger at any time of the day.

Could be just a Quantum thing but I hope not as we are looking at sailing her next year.

Here is a link to an article about the Chinese cruise market that may help explain a few things. It focuses on a Costa cruise, but the issues involved are universal to the industry. As illustrated in the article, Chinese passengers who pay for a premium experience such as a suite expect exclusive amenities. Giving them exclusive access to the Solarium would be one way of meeting that expectation without needing to completely redesign the ship to include "suite only" areas that could not be easily converted back to serve all passengers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-china-cruises/

That was a very interesting article. It begs the question though....if the Chinese wealthy value being treated "special" so highly, why is there no Star Class option for Chinese sailings ? I would have thought that this would be something that they would want.